RRR (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

You're fashionably late.
Done.

Wow this looks great. Is Netflix the only place to watch it?

Saw Vincent D’Onofrio plugging this on twitter and some of the massive pieces on You Tube but haven’t found the time to watch it yet.
But I’m sure it won’t be long before we get the US Hollywood remake starring Daniel Day Lewis reprising his role as Abraham Lincoln and teaming up with Chris Hemsworth as George Washington with a cameo by Danny Devito as trump getting stampeded by buffalo.
Actually does anybody have Tarantino number I got something I might want to pitch to him 🤔

A load of balls.

Makes ZSJL look like a documentary.

If a western filmmaker had dared make anything as toe-curlingly awful, they'd be laughed out of Hollywood and rightfully so.

But hey, culture...

The version in Netflix is dubbed into Hindi with no option for the original Telugu. But weird but there you go.

The romance between the leads reminded me of point break.
It’s completely over the top which I guess is the style of the film but it does make it a little silly and unintentionally funny in places.
I enjoyed it though, lavish sets and apart from some very ropey CGI the production quality is high.
I watched another Indian film on Amazon Prime this year, a horror called Tumbbad, I can highly recommend that one.

The romance between the leads reminded me of point break.
It’s completely over the top which I guess is the style of the film but it does make it a little silly and unintentionally funny in places.
I enjoyed it though, lavish sets and apart from some very ropey CGI the production quality is high.
I watched another Indian film on Amazon Prime this year, a horror called Tumbbad, I can highly recommend that one.
Tumbadd is a very good movie, I agree and I agree with you on RRR analysis. I am from the Tollywood land and it is my mother tongue 😊

Personally I would give it a 3/5, interesting to see western audiences appreciating it, could be finding it new, the culture etc.

Tumbadd is a very good movie, I agree and I agree with you on RRR analysis. I am from the Tollywood land and it is my mother tongue 😊

Personally I would give it a 3/5, interesting to see western audiences appreciating it, could be finding it new, the culture etc.
It’s a very different way to make films from western studios for sure.
Personally I love foreign films, always a refreshing change from Marvel and The Fast & The Furious fare.

Consider me intrigued! That's the Friday night movie sorted

Watched this a little while ago.

Absolutely bonkers and absolutely loved it. So very different to western films but I'm partial to Indian cinema (at least the very best of it such as Dangal).

RRR was NOTHING like I or the rest of my family expected it to be.

If you're expecting western fantasy tropes and ideals or any kind of historic accuracy then you're going to properly hate this. It's utterly ridiculous all over the place and all the better for it. Physically and technically insane in almost every scene with no regard to the laws of physics anywhere. The English actors are generally really bad but very Indian in their dialogue (so it feels very "wrong" but very typical for Indian films) however I loved it all the same.

Take it in the cultural and cinematic style it was intended and it's a hilariously funny bonkers romp that doesn't take itself too seriously despite the topic and the clear political nature of the whole film.

A solid 8.5/10 for me just short of a 9 because it's not going to appeal to everyone and it's just...well bonkers.

G

Only Netflix in the UK. I can't find it to buy anywhere otherwise it would be an instant purchase for me.
You can watch the 4 other language options that made up the theatrical release (including the original Telugu version) on Zee5, which also does 4K and Atmos.

What a lot people don’t know is that most modern Indian films don’t usually get released on physical media and discussion over the home media rights relate to either those for broadcast (satellite) and OTT (aka streaming). RRR catching on the way it has perhaps means a boutique distributor might possibly pick it up but that’s obviously not guaranteed. Fingers crossed though!

I watched it on Netflix when it launched (having missed out on seeing it the cinema originally) but was able to see it in the large screen at London’s Picturehouse Central (so 4K/Telugu Atmos) on Saturday, which was an incredible experience.

One other thing of note is that the standard cinema release is scope ratio, whereas the version on Netflix/Zee5 uses the expanded aspect ratio from the IMAX version.

You can watch the 4 other language options that made up the theatrical release (including the original Telugu version) on Zee5, which also does 4K and Atmos.

What a lot people don’t know is that most modern Indian films don’t usually get released on physical media and discussion over the home media rights relate to either those for broadcast (satellite) and OTT (aka streaming). RRR catching on the way it has perhaps means a boutique distributor might possibly pick it up but that’s obviously not guaranteed. Fingers crossed though!

I watched it on Netflix when it launched (having missed out on seeing it the cinema originally) but was able to see it in the large screen at London’s Picturehouse Central (so 4K/Telugu Atmos) on Saturday, which was an incredible experience.

One other thing of note is that the standard cinema release is scope ratio, whereas the version on Netflix/Zee5 uses the expanded aspect ratio from the IMAX version.
I think the aspect ratio is open matte and not actually IMAX. Otherwise if it was IMAX, the movie wouldn't have been in 1:90 for the respective services that are streaming them. Zee5 and Netflix do not have IMAX enhanced licensing so the movie would've been in the usual 2:39.

But I'm glad we got the open matte version. The movie looks way better in 1:90 for its obvious reasons.

I think the aspect ratio is open matte and not actually IMAX. Otherwise if it was IMAX, the movie wouldn't have been in 1:90 for the respective services that are streaming them. Zee5 and Netflix do not have IMAX enhanced licensing so the movie would've been in the usual 2:39.

But I'm glad we got the open matte version. The movie looks way better in 1:90 for its obvious reasons.
Yep, well aware of all that (just poorly worded on my part). Regardless of any official licensing aspects, that it is the aspect ratio you would see it in an IMAX screen.

Personally, I was glad it was the scope version I saw at Picturehouse Central as the screen was scope anyway.

But the 1.90:1 ratio obviously makes more sense on a typical 16:9 TV.

Last edited:
I didn't get the love for this film, especially from the western audience. I've been watching Bollywood films for over 25 years and I wouldn't put this anywhere near my top 100 list.

Indian Cinema has changed, the crazier the concept the more popular it seems to become now days along with nationalistic themes.

Last edited:
Just watched on your recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks!
I'd recommend Gangubai Kathiawadi, which stars Alia Bhatt (who plays Sita in RRR). It's a much more serious drama compared to RRR, and quite heavy-going at points, but well worth checking out. I saw it in the cinema earlier in the year but it's now on Netflix.

A load of balls.

Makes ZSJL look like a documentary.

If a western filmmaker had dared make anything as toe-curlingly awful, they'd be laughed out of Hollywood and rightfully so.

But hey, culture...
You’re not the target audience so don’t be worrying about how bad it is and any Western equivalents.

Just finished watching it now, it’s the kind of film that usually originates from that region…a song, a dance, a bit of nationalism and the cgi becoming evermore prevalent.

Inoffensive nonsense that swiftly killed 3 hours!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom