RRP of PS3

tutu

Prominent Member
Reaction score
What is the UK RRP of the PlayStation 3? I've looked at the usual places (play, gamestation, game).

I have a 360, and so does my two brothers, which they share. So far I've had 2 replacements, and so has he. Yesterday I discovered that my 5 year old brother purchased 5000 points (£42.50) through marketplace and Microsoft won't refund it.

Their 360 actually has a child account. I've enabled pretty much all the protection they can have but it is very lacklustre. For example, you can stop them downloading premium content, but it doesn't say anything about stopping them purchasing points. Badly described by Microsoft. Why not add an option to stop purchasing of points seperately?. All it would need is to request a password when purchasing points!

Also they can delete game saves, and format the hard drive. So as you can see, I am starting to get a little annoyed at Microsoft. So what is the UK RRP of PS3?

Perhaps a FAQ might be in order!

:thumbsup: Ah ok. Thought it would have been announced by now.

I would have thought that microsoft would be on a very sticky wicket legally with regards to your brother of 5 purchasing 40 odd quids worth from microsoft. The law actually states that anyone under the age of 18 cannot legally be held to purchasing anything that is not a necessity. These are clothes / food. Purchasing of points does not come into this, so I would pursue through small claims to get the money back. Microsoft cannot improse these rules (and their rules are why people don't like them in the first place).

surly you should keep your 5 year old brother away from your 360? or at least your credit cards? as he is a minor he cannot be held responsable and neither should ms for him not being supervised. just my opinion.

also what makes you think that the ps3 will be any diff? i remember the number of faulty ps2's i had back just after launch and dreamcasts for that matter and its about the same.

I wasn't going to get a ps3 but now i've got a beter job i shall.

the est. price is £425 for the console alone (the 60 Gig version)

FishDUDE said:
surly you should keep your 5 year old brother away from your 360? or at least your credit cards? as he is a minor he cannot be held responsable and neither should ms for him not being supervised.

I don't live in my parents home as I'm 27 :D Do you keep an eye on your children 24/7 even in your own home? The parental controls on the 360 are very weak to say the least, and it only takes less than 10 seconds to buy the points. It requests a password for logging into parental settings, and a selection of keys to enter the console settings. But it does not ask for anything when actually purchasing things, and that is just stupid.

The credit card is my fathers and it is associated with the xbox live account. He uses it to buy the occasional xbox live arcade game.

But I will pursue this. Does anyone know the name of the Act involved?

PS Everybody I know who has bought a 360 has had it replaced (me, my brother and 3 of my friends).

The price will be ~£500, that is what most people are saying. IMO I expect a price of £499.99

So what Play.com are offering which is a console and 3 games for £550 may change and not be the actual price

I feel it may go under the £400 mark. I know, what am I on? and I havent got a clue why it would .

tutu said:
I don't live in my parents home as I'm 27 :D Do you keep an eye on your children 24/7 even in your own home? The parental controls on the 360 are very weak to say the least, and it only takes less than 10 seconds to buy the points. It requests a password for logging into parental settings, and a selection of keys to enter the console settings. But it does not ask for anything when actually purchasing things, and that is just stupid.

The credit card is my fathers and it is associated with the xbox live account. He uses it to buy the occasional xbox live arcade game.

But I will pursue this. Does anyone know the name of the Act involved?

PS Everybody I know who has bought a 360 has had it replaced (me, my brother and 3 of my friends).

Everybody I know with a 360 (6 including me) have had no problems. What's your point? Seems like you and your friends are very unlucky!

Games Guru said:
The price will be ~£500, that is what most people are saying. IMO I expect a price of £499.99

I havn't seen anything saying around £500. All I've seen regarding price (thats believable) is gamestation and a few other shops taking preorders for £425.

(any talk on internet forums, I'm not taking into account, as thats just speculation).

Games Guru said:

The Euro 599 price probably equates to a price less than £450, I can't see it being it anywhere above £450 though!

I hope it isn't £500, but with all the functionality it is rumoured to have, I would be suprised if it went for less. I'd imagine a break even price for sony on the ps3 at launch would be about £700

For what it's meant to do, the PS3 seems resonably priced but it's all down to whether Blue-Ray will succeed or not

£430 so far, most places saying £425 on pre-orders, and Gamestation promising we won't pay more than £425 on our pre-orders.

tutu - you can password the 360 so you can't sign into Live without it.

NackNack said:
£430 so far, most places saying £425 on pre-orders, and Gamestation promising we won't pay more than £425 on our pre-orders.

tutu - you can password the 360 so you can't sign into Live without it.

Thanks for the info about the price. Can't believe they are waiting this long to give us a RRP in the UK!!

The xbox live password doesn't help seeing as it's my brothers account and he needs to download things!. I suppose a good idea would more than one profile, but that would probably confuse things.

I think it'll retail at £399.99, the good old trick of leading people to believe it would be cost more, so everyone's suddenly happy with the(slightly) lower price than expected:rolleyes:

i really not sure about sony, we have to bare in mind we always get shafted and i mean ALWAYS!

look at the PSP price compared to the rest of the world.

well it would be nice if its cheap but considering sony is losing loads of money on this thing and also all the lawsuits etc etc i would expect it to be more pricey.

tutu said:
Thanks for the info about the price. Can't believe they are waiting this long to give us a RRP in the UK!!

The xbox live password doesn't help seeing as it's my brothers account and he needs to download things!. I suppose a good idea would more than one profile, but that would probably confuse things.
So tell him the password too?

but if you add in the cost of the 360's HD DVD player that pushes the price up to £430 ish, not that much difference really is there.

BOC|Ethan2000 said:
but if you add in the cost of the 360's HD DVD player that pushes the price up to £430 ish, not that much difference really is there.

yep. If you add all the accessories to make the Xbox 360 do what the PS3 does (wifi adapter, hd-dvd drive, etc) then the 360 will be more expensive.

However, the 360 does give you the choice.

e.g. - when I get around to buying a 360 (my priority is a new PC first), I won't bother with the wifi or hd-dvd drive because I simply do not want or need them.

However, when I get a PS3 next year, I have no choice. Although it doesn't bother me too much (I'll use the wifi for the psp connectivity) to some people this a major issue.

I was going to get a PS3 at launch, but looking at all the 'problems' they've had with delays etc, I am not willing to purchase something with a first generation blu-ray drive, and I am sure rev 1 hardware will be as bad as the 360 (10% drop out rate has been banded around that seems about average for first time console releases), I am going to wait until they sort the hardware out and drop the price..

WelshBluebird said:
e.g. - when I get around to buying a 360 (my priority is a new PC first), I won't bother with the wifi or hd-dvd drive because I simply do not want or need them.

Imo the hard drive is a must. Especially if you like downloading demos or plan to use it as a media centre. My biggest problem is always having to delete files to fit more stuff onto it. MS, if youre listening, we need a bigger HDD asap!

It's a must if you have Live or want it as a Media Centre. That doesn't apply to about 50% of the userbase.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom