• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

RROD repair

jake360

Established Member
hi guys have an elite from new and now it has 3 RROD, so got a kit and fixed it my self, worked for 3 weeks now same again RROD.
its four years old so out of waranty, will microsoft fix it if i pay, even though its already been opened and had an attempted fix.
cheers.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I dont think they will and to be honest if they did they would charge probably £80

If you sent it to them then once they noticed it had been opened they would send it right back.

I am sure a few members on here do repairs or certainly know a good deal about the fixes.

Am sure someone might be able to help.

Or maybe time to save up for a newer model ??

jake360

Established Member
thanks for the advice, was on the xbox support page and to fix an out of waranty xbox360 is £68 but as i said not to sure if they would fix it as i have had a go my self.

I do have a new slim version now, just trying to get this one fixed for my son.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
thanks for the advice, was on the xbox support page and to fix an out of waranty xbox360 is £68 but as i said not to sure if they would fix it as i have had a go my self.

I do have a new slim version now, just trying to get this one fixed for my son.

Maybe have another go at fixing it, youtube no doubt will have loads of video's on it. Worth a go maybe or try a local repair place.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Try the fix again but this time use some Artic silver.

Be careful applying it, but I've got a 360 still working 18 months on.

1st time I fixed I got some expenisve paste from maplins, it lasted about a week.

jake360

Established Member
yup just re-done it again, using the artic silver that came with the RROD kit.

it works for about 5 mins, gets to running temp then freezes, vertical broken lines on screen, but no RROD yet.

So has any one had any success paying and sending an out of warranty tampered with xbox360 to microsoft?

Dinky Dragon

Prominent Member
Try the pennies pushing into the HANNA chip trick.

beasty54

Distinguished Member
Whatever you try will only last a very short amount of time and the more you mess about with it, the more you'll damage it. I use a heat gun to fix them for friends, and friends of friends but its still not guranteed to last. Ive probably done around 20 this way and as far as i know, about 4 or 5 have died completely after a couple of months.

If you want it fixing properly the only option is a complete reball, or at least a proper reflow with profesional equipment.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
It was artic silver 5 if that helps.

I know its the best one for xbox.

jake360

Established Member
well after doing it a third time with artic silver 5, it has lasted all weekend and still working fine.

think its a lot to do with Mother/board flex and how much or little you tighten the fixings on the cpu and gpu and also the outer case fixings through the board.
fingers crossed.
cheers guys.

UPDATE.... it has gone again :( time to send to microsoft

Last edited:

beasty54

Distinguished Member
well after doing it a third time with artic silver 5, it has lasted all weekend and still working fine.

think its a lot to do with Mother/board flex and how much or little you tighten the fixings on the cpu and gpu and also the outer case fixings through the board.
fingers crossed.
cheers guys.

UPDATE.... it has gone again :( time to send to microsoft

I doubt microsoft will touch it, even if you pay

jake360

Established Member
xbox gets picked up today for microsoft repair, so hopefully it will get sorted.

i sent them an email saying, if i pay for the repair what are the chances, even though an atempted fix has been tried before.

They said it depends what the third party had done to try and fix it, send it in and we will have a look.

So off came the RROD bolt kit, put the x-clamps back on.
hopefully whoever looks at it is not a jobs worth and just goes ahead a repairs it.

will let you know how it goes.

jake360

Established Member
Got my xbox elite back today, all fixed and with a new 12 month warranty.

Good job considering I broke the warranty seal and tried to fix it my self with a RROD kit.

Took just over 2 weeks.

Cheers :)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom