RROD Repair Issues

Henders

Standard Member
Last Monday my xbox red ringed, so I requested a repair online. I was then sent a link to a UPS delivery label, but when I click the link the webpage says it is invalid.

Has this happened to anyone else, and does anyone know the easist way of rectifying this? According to the email the label should be valid for another 5 days.

D2TheQ

I would call XBOX support and let them know you can’t open the link.

When i sent mine off i had an email from MS that advised the different returns method. Then the next day i got another email from MS with the following links.

View UPS Returns Documentation Instructions
Retrieve Your UPS Returns Label .
Get the Receipt.
Find the Closest Service Location.
Find Out More About Returning Your Shipment

I then printed the return label and the other docs, removed the hard disk, put in a packing box. I then checked the UPS website to get the telephone number so i could arrange a collection. Guy turned up next day then tracked the delivery by the UPS website. Took 4 days to deliver, then another 3 days at the repair centre (Germany). Mines now due to be returned this coming Monday!

D2TheQ

FYI - I've just emailed MS Support and requested a refund for my XBL subscription. I post their answer as soon as i receive.

Hopefully get some MS points or even better they could extend my subscription by a month.

spanna

My box died today. Went to fill out the online form but at one point it asked for payment details.... :eek:

Whats that about?

D2TheQ

My box died today. Went to fill out the online form but at one point it asked for payment details.... :eek:

Whats that about?

It all depends if covered by warranty or not. In my case my xbox got 3 red rings which falls under the extended warrenty so was fixed free of charge.

My mates went the other day (graphics completely gone on the top half of the screen) so called up and hes got to pay £69.

You are always best calling MS support and see if you can get it repaired free of charge. There has been some posts on this website where they have blagged it, and some where they thought they blagged it but got stung with a repair bill.

Good luck

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
yeah rrod on a launchday console. would have assumed thats covered. Ill give tem a ring

the 3 year warranty on launch day consoles is over, and has been for about 7 months now.
they came out in late 2005.

spanna

See to me that shouldnt be. Not being a whinge but MS have admitted its a manufacturing fault. So every single console should be covered. :mad:

Im pretty sure I saw on the bbc british law says every electrical item is covered for 6 years for a manufacturing fault... if my xclamp mod dont work ms can get some of that.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
See to me that shouldnt be. Not being a whinge but MS have admitted its a manufacturing fault. So every single console should be covered. :mad:

Im pretty sure I saw on the bbc british law says every electrical item is covered for 6 years for a manufacturing fault... if my xclamp mod dont work ms can get some of that.

why?, you've had your 3 years warranty.
and what you are talking about is the sale of goods act, and its not a guaranteed 6 years, thats the maximum time allowed to claim damages.
i think a court might agree that a £130(as thats the entry level model) console might last fairly for 3 years..maybe a £1200 tv might get closer to 5 or 6, but you would be faced with an uphill struggle,i think.

spanna

Well you have to ask why is it limited to 3 years if there are consoles out there older than 3 years old.

They have sold an item which is knowingly faulty and is not fit for purpose.

Im pretty sure if I could be bothered I would get it done under warranty. But its really not worth the effort.

Dunno where you got 130 from but the launch day console was 279.99.

Scholes18

Dunno where you got 130 from

Thats the current price of the arcade ( entry level ) model.

fozziebear39

Mine has just gone, 3 Reds, launch day console. Filled the form out, 70 odd quid. Bugger that.

Is the Arcade version the full console, I just attach my hard drive and wireless network dongle? If it is I will buy a new one instead.

Ahhh I might just buy a new 60GB for £166, swap the hard drives and flog the 60GB.... might be best bet.

Last edited:

Pugs1

Get an arcade and just put your old hard drive in. PLUS they are Jaspers and reputably quieter and more reliable.

fozziebear39

I have just ordered the nuts and bolts and thermal paste, going to have a bash at fixing it for a fiver. Might get me a few more weeks.

Yes, thanks, I will get the Arcade version when I replace. Read about the Jaspers and looking for the 12.1 on the power supply. My missus hinted she might get it me :thumbsup: can't nag her where to buy it and what to look for. :D

ajp502

I have just ordered the nuts and bolts and thermal paste, going to have a bash at fixing it for a fiver. Might get me a few more weeks.

Yes, thanks, I will get the Arcade version when I replace. Read about the Jaspers and looking for the 12.1 on the power supply. My missus hinted she might get it me :thumbsup: can't nag her where to buy it and what to look for. :D

fozzie can I ask which repair kit you bought and where from? I'm thinkin about having a go at mine (elite with the audio but no video problem).

Would be grateful to hear how your attempt goes and to get any advice!

alex

fozziebear39

Woohooo! I don't believe it..... as the meerkat says... 'simples' :thumbsup:

My launch day xbox 360 is back in business. Got the kit as previous post. Bolted on heatsinks etc etc. Tried to turn on, still 3 red lights.

The critical bit is overheating the GPU. Just left it on, got down to 2 red lights. As it cooled down I give the nuts a final tweak.. ohheerrr missus... back of the net! (bolts actually but I couldn't get the carry on humour in)

I know it might only give it a few days, weeks, hopefully months but enough time to save for a Japser arcade.

Thanks to avforums and youtube :D

Last edited:

Dawseman

Just a quick question guys. My mate's 360 died on him last week. He bought it originally on release day so going by an earlier post its about 3 years 7 months old. However it broke last april (15months ago) and he had it repaired. Now its broke again M$ want him to pay £80 to have it fixed?! I was under the impression that once your console was fixed your 3 year warranty started again??? M$ say that isnt the case and after a fix you only have 1 year of warranty? is this right??

donnajunkie

Standard Member
all new models of the 360 come with a HDMI now.
If it doesnt then its a very old model :smashin:

Deftones

thats good news because i just sent off my pro console to get fixed and if the worst happens and it just keeps braking down i may just get an arcade version as i have my 20gb hard drive that i could just connect to it.

donnajunkie

Standard Member
Just a quick question guys. My mate's 360 died on him last week. He bought it originally on release day so going by an earlier post its about 3 years 7 months old. However it broke last april (15months ago) and he had it repaired. Now its broke again M$ want him to pay £80 to have it fixed?! I was under the impression that once your console was fixed your 3 year warranty started again??? M$ say that isnt the case and after a fix you only have 1 year of warranty? is this right??

from what i have seen other people say in forums any repair is guaranteed for 1 year. the 3 year guarantee is from purchase date. i know it is stupid because if it gets repaired when it is less than two years old the 1 year guarantee on the repair is meaningless. i think they should give you 3 years from a repair as well but maybe make the total time a maximum of maybe 5 or 6 years from purchase date.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member

its out of warranty..you get 90 days from repair for any fault(other than RRoD or E74), and the 3 year warranty continues on from date of purchase, so its well out of warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett