Quantcast

RRoD Purchase: Can I use 250GB HDD from Standard XBox360 with a new Elite?

Mark Ward

Novice Member
Our 3 years & 2 months old standard Xbox360 just died.

Today I replaced the 20GB HDD with a 250GB Microsoft upgrade kit. It booted fine off the 250GB HDD and Immediately afterwards a game needed updating. Once that had finished the screen was frozen on "Start".

After a reboot we have the RRoD, the same happens with the old 20GB HDD and given the age of the console (it'sself a warrantee replacement for one that died after 14 months) I think it's time to buy another.

My question is... Can I use the 250GB from the old Xbox with a new Elite? We have made a LOT of game and song purchases that I want to make sure don't die with the old machine.

If not, will I be ok buy an Arcade and use that with the 250GB HDD?

If anyone knows of a great XBox360 console deal right now that would also be fantastic.

Thanks,

Mark.

DJSigma

Banned
Mark Ward said:
Can I use the 250GB from the old Xbox with a new Elite?
Yes. Content that you've purchased will only work while you are signed into Xbox Live with the gamertag that was used to purchase it though. To fix that and allow content to be accessed online and offline by any gamertag, you need to transfer the licenses from your old console to the new one, which you can do here: -

Xbox.com | System Use - Transferring Content Licenses to a New Console

Once you've done the license transfer, you will need to re-download your content, although only the content license is refreshed in the process, so it doesn't take that long to do. It's just a pain having to go through each individual item and select "Download again". You don't need to delete the content off the drive before you do that.

So what you need to do is: -

1. Get a new 360 (it doesn't matter what type) and attach the 250 GB hard drive.
2. Use the license transfer tool I linked you to.
3. Go to your download history and re-download the content to refresh the licenses.

There's a pinned thread here for console deals: -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/668502-xbox-360-best-buys-console-only-bundles-accessories.html

Or you could do an advanced search on here: -

http://www.hotukdeals.com/

astar0th

If the machine is always online i would think carefully about using the DRM tool.

If you need other tags to access DLC (for example downloaded songs for Rock Band) then use the DRM and transfer the licences. Otherwise it's not really needed.

I say this because i found out recently that if you have one machine online and one machine offline, you should ALWAYS download to the offline machine. This way the DLC can be used on both machines. If an item is downloaded to the online machine, it cannot be used on the offline machine.

The DRM tool can only be used ONCE A YEAR.

If you only have the one machine, want other tags to access DLC, and don't plan to have a second within a year, then go ahead with the licence transfer tool.

Hope that hasn't confused you too much! :thumbsup:

Mark Ward

Novice Member
Yes. Content that you've purchased will only work while you are signed into Xbox Live with the gamertag that was used to purchase it though. To fix that and allow content to be accessed online and offline by any gamertag, you need to transfer the licenses from your old console to the new one, which you can do here: -

Xbox.com | System Use - Transferring Content Licenses to a New Console
I bought a new Arcade for £124.99 from HMV and have used the 250GB HDD, all is working fine. I'll look into transferring that content licences once the kids have finished playing...

If the machine is always online i would think carefully about using the DRM tool.

If you need other tags to access DLC (for example downloaded songs for Rock Band) then use the DRM and transfer the licences. Otherwise it's not really needed.

I say this because i found out recently that if you have one machine online and one machine offline, you should ALWAYS download to the offline machine. This way the DLC can be used on both machines. If an item is downloaded to the online machine, it cannot be used on the offline machine.

The DRM tool can only be used ONCE A YEAR.

If you only have the one machine, want other tags to access DLC, and don't plan to have a second within a year, then go ahead with the licence transfer tool.

Hope that hasn't confused you too much! :thumbsup:
We only have the one console so once a year will be fine,

Thanks to both of you,

Mark.

Top Bottom