RROD fix - no power to the xbox

MadaCup

Wondering if someone can give me advice, perhaps the same thing has happened to someone else.

Anyway, I did the RROD fix by removing the X-Clamps and replacing these with 2 steel washers and 1 nylon washer as well as making the mounting holes bigger to accomodate M5 bolts.

So, I put everything back and turn the xbox on and still get the RROD. Not a problem, some guides tell you this is to be expected. However, there seems to be no power to the xbox to start the fans etc. When I press the "on" button on the xbox, the power brick flashes red and then remains orange with the RROD lights illuminating and flashing until I turn the xbox off. I have tried 2 power bricks which I know work fine.

Any ideas? Have I overtightened/undertightened the bolts?

Pavey

What's the secondary error code mate?

Turn it on, hold sync, then press eject. You'll get a number of red lights.

Do this 4 times, till you have something like 4,4,1,2 for example.

Sinikal

Standard Member
Well something Weird just happened to me.

I was messing around with the DVD drive when my xbox went all RROD on me. not knowing if i should be ****** or what i did this.

what i did was put everything back together [plug wise, not the case, and then unplug the brick [ cord from socket and brick and the xbox, then i plugged everything back in together. then turned back on the xbox, the RRoD was gone and normal operaton resumed. I think that before most people run to M$, they should check the color on the power brick first.... if its red, unplug it peice by peice and look for an orangle light. then plug back in and power on the box..:lease:

Anybody else tried this fix?

Last edited:

Pavey

The two aren't connected mate unfortunately. Yours has just cooled, is working again, but will go again soon.

Pavey

.... as well as making the mounting holes bigger to accomodate M5 bolts.

Just re-read this, the holes are the right size, not sure why you would have to do this?

You are putting them through the 8 gold ones at the corners of both heatsinks?

Pavey

Well something Weird just happened to me.

I was messing around with the DVD drive when my xbox went all RROD on me. not knowing if i should be ****** or what i did this.

what i did was put everything back together [plug wise, not the case, and then unplug the brick [ cord from socket and brick and the xbox, then i plugged everything back in together. then turned back on the xbox, the RRoD was gone and normal operaton resumed. I think that before most people run to M$, they should check the color on the power brick first.... if its red, unplug it peice by peice and look for an orangle light. then plug back in and power on the box..:lease:

Anybody else tried this fix?

Ahh, if you had it open (flashing? ;) ), you may have created a short putting it back together?

I

Ikarus73

Interesting. I Had RROD last weekend, and did the fix. What I found was that first of all, you get much better results with plenty of compound (I used Arctic Silver 5). Three times, I found that the system worked fine when I had the newly insatlled Heatsink retaining screws loose, but when I tightened them to any significant degree, and powered up, RROD again, and that was after ensuring they were tightened equally, to keep the heatinks as parallel as possible to the top of the CPU/GPU.

My final solution was to clean the CPU/GPU and heatsinks again, re-apply plenty of fresh compound, and FINGER tighten the bolts. Then ONLY 1/4 of a turn on each one. Anything more bends the mainboard.

Prob. solved (fingers crossed - It's had a fair bit of usage since then anyway)

Hope this helps.

P.s. simply applying plenty of compound and just pushing the heatsinks on firmly allowed the system to boot (out of the case of course).

For me, tightening the bolts was the problem. Anything more than just enough to retain the heatsinks without them being loose is too much !

Last edited by a moderator:

knight2000uk

These threads make me cringe lol, i dont use bolts for my rrod fixes, there more likely to cause it again in the long run with the nylon washers expanding with heat, a good bit of thermal compound and the right combination of fixings, you wont see rrod again for a good time ;)
Plus there are certain things you have missed out like the baking phase before re assembly.

And Mada, make sure your power lead is snugly pushed into the console, if it is not you will get rrod with no fan power or dvd spinup, hope that helps

Stu

Last edited:

Pavey

You don't use bolts? What do you use to attach the heatsinks then?

And by baking i'm guessing you run it with no fans till you get 2 red lights (overheating)- the incorrect way to reflow the solder.

And 'not having the power lead snug' will not cause 3 red lights :)

knight2000uk

You don't use bolts? What do you use to attach the heatsinks then?

And by baking i'm guessing you run it with no fans till you get 2 red lights (overheating)- the incorrect way to reflow the solder.

And 'not having the power lead snug' will not cause 3 red lights :)

Ok, so a console I have here, that i just plugged a power lead into which if I don't push it in enough is a liar lol.
If its not in enough it wont power fans up or anything, if you so wish i can put up a video to show you :smashin:

No i don't use bolts there's no need for them when the x-clamps are more than sufficient with a little extra support in the right places

Pavey

Forgive me if i'm wrong but isn't that stating the obvious?

Like saying if you dont turn it on at the wall it doesnt work? :)

knight2000uk

Forgive me if i'm wrong but isn't that stating the obvious?

Like saying if you dont turn it on at the wall it doesnt work? :)

not really, its an easy mistake to make as the power supplies wear over time and expand, a couple of mm push in or a quick wiggle makes all the difference, I thought it was an rrod machine until such time as I unplugged the supply, plugged it back in and low and behold fans kicked in, he states that no fans kick in, exactly as this machine does if you dont give it a good push home.

As for the reflow, first one was a year back, still working as with another 100 or so machines that haven't come back.
Sure you can go for a BGA re flow but only in major cases.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom