RPTV's & Picture in Picture

B

bongpig

Whats the deal with rptv's and picture in picture functions.

I know the newer LCD & DLP based tv's have extensive PnP.

What about CRT based Toshiba/Sony etc etc
Do CRT rptv's generally have PnP?

Any owners out there can help me out?

cheers

L

Lancia

I have the Sony KP44DX2 and it has picture in picture (as does the 44PX2) but only does pnp for the TV and an AV socket so you cant have 1 TV channel on & another TV channel pnp.

B

bongpig

Thanks Lancia,

Im particularly interested in connecting 2 Xbox's to one TV, and playing network games, with a 50/50 split down the middle of the screen.

So, if I had 2 consoles connected via Scart, or maybe one on scart, and one on component, would I be able to get the split im after?

thanks again for your time

L

Lancia

As far as I know that's not possible.
The pnp is only a small box in one of the corners. There might be the possibility of enlarging it in the service menu as there are some pnp settings there but I dont think it's possible.

Maybe someone could confirm?

bobones

I have a KP44PS2 which has twin tuners and dynamic picture and picture. It starts with a 50:50 split, but you can increase the size of either half and the other half shrinks accordingly. You can have any input on each side. This is an older model Sony (cost £2800 new) and only has 1 RGB scart + 2 s-video scarts, but it's a fantastic tv all the same. Much higher spec than the current Sony RPTVs (DRC-MF, better build and feature set). Robert Whyte are selling grade-a units for £799.

B

bongpig

Thanks again people.

I was more interested in newer rptv's with better connectivity. Ill be using a dvd player, a dvd burner, a vcr and 2 xbox's.
I would prefer only scarts & component, but an s-video connector wouldnt go unused either!

These new tosh's have a blinding picture, but the feature list is a bit lacking. Seeminly no PnP from what I could see on thier website.

Anybody else got anything to add?

cheers

B

bongpig

Can I assume, from the lack of response, that most rptv's have no Picture in Picture (split screen)?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom