1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPTV - Toshiba vs Sony ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by NaimBoy, Dec 11, 2003.

1. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I've finally decided to splash out on a new TV, primarily for watching DVDs, with a small amount of DTV thrown in.

I've narrowed it down two rear projection TVs - one from Sony and the other from Toshiba - the question is which one ?

The contenders (and relative merits) are :

Sony KP-44DX2
    -------------------
    Looks great (I know - it's subjective, but it's a big box that I've got to look at every day...), built in Freeview tuner, Virtual Dolby (!)

Toshiba 42WH36
    ---------------------
    Component input, Progressive Scan, Nicam

I haven't managed to see them side-by-side yet, but from memory the Sony appears to have the better picture.

I'm new to this RPTV game and having seen the various posts on setting them up (all seem to relate to Toshibas) I'm keen to find out as much as I can before parting with my dosh !

Any suggestions gratefully received.....

Cheers,
    Mark

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    well, both are excellent sets..

Of course we are all going to have our favourites...

For picture quality, I think the Toshiba is actually the better set, it has a non-reflective front screen, the best 100Hz available, and progressive PAL and NTSC..

Of course the Toshiba may be more a 'tweakers' set, as in you have the wealth of information available to 'tweak' all aspects of the set from mechanical focus to SVM disabling to service level convergence..

Other then that, they both look 'good', although I expect some personal opinions to differ as to which is best..

I only have 'real' knowledge of the Toshiba product, and know this performs impeccably when tested with AVIA, this isn't to say the sony is not as good, I just don't have the first hand experience with it..

All previous comparisons of Tosh Vs Sony have been the older Tosh models, the WH36 active vision series toshiba's are better in the PQ department.. so may have tipped the balance..

Although a personal demo is advisable, but it'll be hard to get them side by side setup correctly (using AVIA or similar...)

good luck...

3. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response Demon......

I've managed to find them side-by-side in Powerhouse in Bracknell - not the best set-up for a review, but better than nothing !

In the right environment I'm sure the screen on the Sony is superb, but I'm not sure I want to watch TV in the dark all the time, so the Toshiba's non-reflective screen is nudging ahead at the moment.

My biggest concern with the Toshiba is the number of stories (here and elsewhere) that result in dismantling the TV & service level settings - I just want something that works, and the Sony's auto setup still looks appealing - assuming it does what it says on the tin !

My head is telling me to buy the Toshiba, but my heart is still having lustful feelings towards the Sony....... I guess it will come down to which I can get for the best deal after Christmas.....

Cheers,
    Mark

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Don't forget the Sony has those extra 2 inches!

I have the older KP44PS2 and it produces stunningly natural pictures with no flaws or annoyances.

The only tweaking I've done is to use the service level convergence (projection engine) and to turn on mpeg noise reduction in the service menu. User level settings were done with Avia. Focus is and was excellent so no need to do anything there.

I'm led to believe that the PX2 and DX2 don't have the same level of features as the PS2 (no DRC-MF, twin-tuners, PAP, mpeg NR, or service convergence) so maybe the Toshibas are the ones to get now. I wouldn't swap my Sony for anything though.

5. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm sure that doesn't mean you have to go through that relative complexity just to watch TV! With a Toshiva... or a Toshiba come to that! Or any other set :D

Guess who's watched one too many Simpsons episodes...

6. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I can vouch for the sony px2. excellent TV.

Auto convergence does indeed do what it says on the tin.

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the Sony PX2 and its a fantastic set. Auto convergeance is great. Before this I had the Toshiba RP and it was a great set but went faulty. The picture on it was great but no better than the Sonys which Is FANTASTIC. As for the Sony having a relective screen I noticed no difference at all between the two sets when watching in daylight. the sony also gives better viewing angles compared to the tosh. Sony also has better build quality. (this is based on models Sony PX2 and Tosh W1hb. hth
    shaun

8. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks folks, after another viewing session it's definately going to be the Sony. Now all I'm waiting for is the Matrix & LOTR box sets !

Cheers,
    Mark

9. cheet22

cheet22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, did you get the Sony in the end ?

I am having the same dilemma now, whether to go for Toshiba or Sony model.

Is there really a difference with this non-reflective screen etc ?

10. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cheet22,

In the end a change of circumstances (& house...) has meant that a new TV is a no-go for the time being :-(

Given that the new house is even smaller it looks like it'll have to be a plasma if I'm going to fit anything in the region of 40" - better get saving !

Sorry I can't be of any help....

Cheers,
    Mark

11. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi matey

the screen on my sony is no more refelctive than that of a glass screen on a normal crt tv. I found the picture on the tosh very good but it had this slight dulness to it that made it look like an rp tv picture. the sony I find is far more vibrant and it looks like a crt picture.

cheers

12. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Know exactly how you feel guys.

Been looking at these sets for a while now and just can't nake up my mind and thats with the wife in full agreement on either set but she likes the sony more.

If only they did a DX2 with the features of a PS2 now that would take some beating.

13. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bobones

Now your PS2 is sorted, what frequency respobnce do you get as I recall the original review of these sets had the frequency at 4.8 mhz

14. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I can see lines in the 6.75MHz circle of the Avia resolution test. They're quite faint but definitely there. So I'd say it's topping out at well over 6MHz. Certainly 4.8MHz figure is nonsense.

15. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bobones do you know if whytes sell the side pods for the ps2 as well - i think you have just persuaded me to get one of these sets

Just to confirm you think these sets better that the current sony model

16. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I don't think Whytes have any of the PS2s left. Someone pm'd me about getting one and Whyte's said they'd sell him a graded PX2 for the same price (£799).

The PS2 has loads more features, but I'd need to see a well set up PX2 to judge on PQ alone. If the PX2 can do 100Hz without showing scanlines and has service menu adjustable convergence, I'm sure it will be pretty much in the same class.

Don't know about the cabinets. Some places where selling them at ridiculous prices (£399 each or something) but I also saw somewhere doing much cheaper, but can't remember where.

17. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobones

I've read the What Vidoe group test on the PX2 - they say:

Colour - Excellent
    Geometry - Very good
    Frequency responce - Fair. Very little to see past 4.8 MHz

There is a comment about softness and deepage and occasional blanking lines in the picture.

With the comment why is DRC not included

I wounder if this set is worth getting

18. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A RPTV got a softer picture, more filmlike picture than a traditional CRT TV.

I like the softness of the picture, makes it more natural.

19. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QUADMAD

contact Pertergeorge. he and I both have the PX2 and we are both well pleased with it. Peter understands the more technical side of it and Im sure he can help you. Peter, am I your new PR man or what!!!!

20. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Shaun/ Peter have you tried disabling SVM

21. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi scooby

I dont know about Peter but I aint. The only thing I have done was change that number in the service menu from 1 to 0 which Peter did for me.

22. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just looked at What Home Cinema and they rate the PX2 @ 95 out of 100 - so that looks good.

Have either of you guys disabled SMV with favourable results ?

What frequesncy responce do you get - hope it's not 4.8 MHz which the reviews seem to like quoting on Sony RPTV's

23. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the PX2 have service level convergance ?

24. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Not sure on the PX2 if setting the value from 1 to 0 has any effect on the PX2 once you leave the service menu. PS2 would default back to on hence having to do the wire mod. Quad how to I determine the freq responce had a quick run through on AVIA and couldn't find anything, give us a clue and how you determine what it is and i'll have a look out of interest.

25. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scooby do - I'm not sure

I think there is a picture grid on AVIA were certain parts show parts of the pictire at different frequencies - the more you see the higher the frequency the set is capapble of