1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPTV Purity Issues?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Steve.EX, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I am now on my 3rd Tosh 40" 50hz (my own preference) set (the first had blue tube troubles, the second "finger print smears (?) on the inside of the screen) and now this one, whilst relelatively pleased with overall convergece geometry etc on black and dark grey screens there is red staining to the corners, whist this is not at all noticeable on light images on darker ones particularly black and white etc it gives the appearance similar to that of doming on a direct view crt set.
    your thoughts as to why (rather than simply "get yet another one") would be appreciated.

Steve.EX

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Welcome to the gang..! I have been thru a similar experience with the 100Hz 40" RPTV too. I am currently watching the 4th version of the set which has a noticeable striping effect on the L.H.S. which apparently is normal and unfixable.

I applaud Toshiba for their help with my problems (one of which was red staining), but alas I am now giving up and will need to start again in a month of two....I'm switching to another set.

This is a real shame...love the TV...but it doesn't like me for some reason. The 46" version seems to go down really well in here..perhaps is fares better?

The red staining problem can be made better by reducing the red drive on the set. An engineer might be able to get yours to a point where you hardly notice it. This does change the colour temperature of the overall image but it may be worth it. I would advise checking this out before giving up...if there are no other problems then you might be onto a winner !

Cheers
    Daz

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you absolutely must have an RPTV and your Tosh is ready for the bin then you MUST look at LCD. With the advent of the Grand Wega there are some good deals on the Sony KL50W2, this is my goggle box of choice and I have to say that my previous encounters with CRT's inherent problems (convergence, geometry, convergence, bad focus, convergence, you get the picture) are now just bad memories.

I'll tell you straight. Rightly or wrongly I am totally mystified as to why anyone would even consider CRT over LCD except on price. BUT. A cheap CRT that doesn't perform properly ain't no bargain compared to an LCD.

Debates in the PJ forums will continue to rage as to which tech is best for them, but LCD has found its true calling in RPTV's. Things can and do go wrong, just like anything else, but on picture performance alone I defy anyone to disagree.

4. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All in the eye of the beholder my friend, personally I think that the company Sony and their support for their Tv's stink, great if if you get a good one like you have but unlucky if you don't!

As for the LCD v CRT you are right about the arguments will rage but I have yet to see one that gives decent blacks and good contrast, but thats my opinion.

While my 46 Tosh is certainly not perfect, it would take something very special to beat it in my eye's but maybe not yours.

Eye of the beholder my friend, that is why we all buy different.

Regards