1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPTV purchase. An update for the RP owners.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bristol Pete, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    OK,

So, as no rush doing plenty of research and attempting to get each and every RPTV that interests me demoed, along with digesting advice listed here.

The news, well, so far, impressed by the Sony PX2, although a little too 100hz-ish if that makes sense. The Tosh PW23p left me a little under whelmed but dig this, the THOMSON 611 without the built in deck blew me away.

Using Comet, I took a selection of DVD's to test, including Black Hawk Down for contrast, Jurrassic Park for the greens, Episode 2 for the digital image and Swordfish for its unbelievable picture quality.
    Using a budget sony deck with a dodgy cheap scart lead the image was simply stunning.
    The scene in Jurrasic Park where Sam Neill and co compare dinosaur evasive movement to flocking birds looked FANTASTIC. Lush and green, razor sharp blades of grass, no smearing and yet it looked thouroughly cinematic. BHD looked crisp and the Ridley scott colour pallette looked awesome, Episode 2 looked superb as you would expect, although Hadyn Christianson still acted like a lump of wood. Swordfish looked simply 3D, sharp and crystal clear and had me thinking about Halle Berry in high heels once again. :)

The operation menu was intuitive, easy to use and to me it actually made a difference. It has Thomsons own progressive scan 50hz option and this the made DVD look even better. You can also switch to 100 hz. It has superb sound to boot, two RGB scarts, and plethora of options. The only downside is the lack of component video in, but I hear its very similar to RGB, which looks good to me.

No evidence of halo effect as vaunted in another new av mag on the market and to be honest, with subjectivity being the key word here, to me, for the price and the picture, its a no brainer.

So, heres the rub. Do I surf this website and look for faults, or do I go for the set that has to be fair, knocked my socks off.
    After all. its all about the picture isnt it?

I cant help but feel that the Av snob is coming out again, as when the comet dude advised me that the Thomson had the best RP picture he had seen I took a massive pinch of salt.

The bugger was right though. :lesson:

Any opinions? I always listen.

Thanks,

Captain Benefit. :

2. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know this sounds obvious, but sometimes you just need someone else to say it to you...

Yes, it is all about the picture (assuming that this set is to be a monitor for a seperates system) Picture quality is fairly subjective, so it makes sense to buy the set with the picture you like the best. If you search hard enough, you will find someone with something bad to say about every piece of AV kit available. Trust your own judgement and be happy... until you get that upgrade monkey on your back.

Eeek eeeek oooook oook...bad Cheetah, bad! :rolleyes:

3. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I to have viewed the set and agree that is does look very good, unforunately I did not have the benefit of viewing others side by side but can comment that it compared very well to the normal CRT sets that were by the side of it.