1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPTV or CRT

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Sparkypups, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Sparkypups

Sparkypups

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:
    Been looking to upgrade the ol' tv for a while and have been doing as much looking and research as possible.

The choice was originally a plasma and probably a LG due to budget, but times move on and so have the quality of 36" CRTs and RPTVs.

So I have narrowed the choice to :-

RPTV - Sony's KP44
    CRT - Sony's FS76

Now obviously I want as big a screen as I can fit through the door!

Its main use will be watching DVDs some terrestial TV and the xbox.

Actually I have just seen the FS70 for £800 on Robert Whytes so that is some saving! :smashin:

Whats the question I can hear you saying, well hmmm?

1. is there noticeable pq difference between CRT and RPTV

2. Will I notice the increase in size of unit compared to my current 33" 4:3

3. Is the RPTV sensitive to being moved i.e. to a new house

I'll probably upgrade the audio as well so was thinking of the sony strdb-1080 with the B+W VM1s.

SparkyPups

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've had a Tosh 40" RPTV for 2 and a half years now and I an still very pleased with it. Having spent a lot of time setting it up correctly, the picture quality is superb, particularly with DVD. I also use it with an XBOX and PS2 and the games look great on a big screen. As for size, it's no deeper than my previous TV (a 25" 4:3). As for it being sensitive to movement, mines moves house once with no problems.

HTH

John

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 42" Toshiba RPTV, very happy with it- considering it's price £1100, size and overall picture quality (still fab with average quality DVD's)

1) Not really, it'll show poor reception broadcasts worse, but still good. You are blowing up the image.

2) Yes!

3) Yes, probably once moved you'll need to do a service menu convergence again.

Better colour reproduction than Plasma, IMO. I'm only 2M from the screen, hardly see the Region 1 NTSC scanlines.

4. ABC*

ABC*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just bought a Hitachi 43" RPTV(from these forums)and can't believe how good the picture is,very impressed with it.

5. Sparkypups

Sparkypups

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replys guys!

methinks i will be joining the RPTV club soon then!

I guess like everyone I just need confirmation that the decision I am making is the right one;)

especially when its 6 months worth of beer tokens!:D

Sparky

6. NicolaUK

NicolaUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Sony 44" delivered on Monday from Robert Whyte, excellent service - very helpful and the tv is :clap:

So far only been tested with dvd/vhs, just have to get an aerial/Sky+ reinstalled now :)

7. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A 42" RP Samsung for me - movies look brilliant from DVD...

Normal day to day TV by RGB SCART is also pretty good.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Have a recently purchased Toshiba 50" RPTV here....excellent picture quality and colour separation....does need a good bit of fiddling with the settings initially as it seems set to look good in bright(shop) environments,with the contrast,brightness etc all set very high.....once thats done,superb!

The picture quality relative to our previous Sony and Toshiba CRT's is amazing,and with respect to size,you'll certainly notice the difference.....my wife nearly had kittens when she saw how large it was compared to the previous TV!