1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPTV or CRT?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JIT, Mar 2, 2002.

1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am currently wondering which TV to buy for £1500 maximum. It will be for everyday use and so don't know if a RP is suitable. Sound is not too important as i have a seperates system. Considering the Toshiba 42WH18B, Toshiba 32/36ZP18P, Sony 32DX100, Sony 32FQ75 any information would be useful. What about the Toshiba 40WH08B? Anybody got any good prices?

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had always had crt tvs but i went for a rp lasy=t month. its the best thing i ever did. i went for the panasonic tx42pt10 and its fantastic. I use it for every day use and so far (touch wood) its been great.

3. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    But what about the lamps needing replacing after 2/3 years? Are they expensive and difficult to fit?

4. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'lamps' do NOT need replacing every two or three years. They are actually cathode ray tubes, each one is a tv in its own right - there are three, one red, one green, one blue. Their lifespan is the same as any conventional tv and depending how often you use the tv you can expect something like seven years life at least, by which time you will probably have chosen something new anyway.

Go for a rear projection tv, you will be pleased you did. The new Toshiba WH18B is a superb tv available in 42" and 50" true screen sizes. It has the best picture of any RP tv and at the best price. Having a matt screen it can be viewed comfortably in the brightest of light. With component inputs as well as S-VHS and RGB you can source the best possible tv pictures. It is a very user friendly tv and its convergence adjustment is as good as any. The 42" can be bought for less than most top of the range 32" conventional tv and even some 36", so go for it!

5. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The cheapest 42WH18B i've seen so far was £1450, anyone got an advance on that?

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's about as good as it gets! You might shave a little off that. A dealer was selling that model for £1350, my brother bought one, but now they are at £1495. Have you checked your private message box?

7. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, I saw your message. Thanks anyway but i'm still trying to decide what to do.

8. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Is it not a known fact that RPTV is a long way back behind the classic solid screen pictures ??

I am sure I have read this in a number of magazines.

I still maintain that for 'every day use' you cant beat the solid glass screens, but for your evening cinema movie - fair enough RPTV !!

9. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a 36 panny crt tv and a panny 42 rp tv. the picture on the rp is certainly better than the crt. RP tvs have come on a long way in the last couple of years and in my humble opinion they better crts in all respects.

10. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I bought a Toshiba 40WH08B just over a year ago having had nothing but CRT TV's before.

I can't praise it highly enough, the picture quality is superb in all lighting conditions and it gets used every day for watching TV, DVD and PS2 games, I can't imagine going back to a standard CRT TV now.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    DITTO Johndon

12. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto, ditto, ditto! Try and get a home demo if you can, you will be pleased. The RPtv picture is stunning, even in daylight.

13. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, I think that a 42WH18B sounds like a good purchase so now all I have to do is find somewhere that has it setup to its full potential. I've been to Currys, Comet and Powerhouse who all had different setups but none showing what the tv is capable of.

14. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you go, take a "benchmark" DVD in terms of picture quality such as Shrek or Star Wars Ep 1. Also make sure they use either component or RGB Scart cables. Then make sure you turn the TV's contrast down to roughly 45. Brightness to roughly 50. Colour to about 40. Tint I'm not sure, try -12. Sharpness to -30 odd. Sound like alot of bother ? Believe me using roughly those settings are worth it, thats roughly the way any RPTV should be setup and will give you a very close idea of what the TV is capable of image wise. :D The contrast will be set at 100 at the shop and believe me, turning it down to 45 or so will give a picture nearly twice as sharp in detail.

15. 5morris

5morris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As Delta said, They don't need replacing after 2/3 years and they are cathode ray tubes.
    You will find that the tubes on a RP tv will mainly outlast most widescreen tubes as these tend to be driven to their maximum, especially 32/36 inch screens, where as the deflection needed for RP tv tubes at around 9/12 inch in size is no where near the same amount.
    BTW I found this out after speaking to a couple of tv engineers before opting for my RP tv.
    Steve.

16. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I e-mailed Toshiba asking about the lamps' expected lifetime before needing replacing and they quoted 5 years (10000 hours) viewing.

17. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    HBK757, what is the model number of your RP TV and would you kindly post your 'exact' TV settings e.g. contrast 45, color 40 etc so that I can input them onto my TV set to see if it improves the picture quality.

When I play my Xbox on my RP TV, I normal choose a my own TV setting which has the sharpness up to +15. It makes the picture more defined especially for videogames.

Why have you recomended that the shrpness be turned down -15? Won't this display a very blurred image?

18. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here are my settings for my 43VJ13P -

Contrast = 40
    Brightness = 32
    Colour = 38
    Tint = -12
    Sharpness = -32

I calibrated the TV using the Avia Home Theater DVD. Brightness lower than contrast I hear you say ??? Well its correct according to Avia. Whites are white and blacks are deep black. Sharpness at -32 ?? Again I calibrated this using the Avia Sharpness pattern. The idea is to look at lines for ghosting effects and match the brightness of a strip of lines at the top of the pattern. -32 was the first place the ghosting stopped so this is what I went with. Any higher settings than -32 produces clear ringing/ghosting of lines which of course nobody wants. :D

These settings may be different for your TV and may not work that great. Saying that, the best thing for your to do is to buy the Avia Home Theather Calibration DVD from Amazon.com :D

19. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I would of thought that the best way to calibrate your own TV is just to simply adjust it to what you think looks best.

There are too many different variables to consider to go off one set of settings....

Eyesight/sensitivity
    Colourvision
    Room Lighting
    Distance & angle from TV
    Personal taste

20. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best way to calibrate your TV is with the Avia DVD. That way you KNOW your settings are right, instead of thinking they are. :D

21. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think RPTV's have come a long way and the Panny 42" is the best out there IMO. I was very close to buying one but decided against it due to the fact that I need a TV that can viewed from wide angles as well as straight on. I therefore opted for a Loewe Aconda and I must say the picture is stunning from where ever anyone sits in my living room. OK, it doesnt have that size but the quality makes up for it IMO.