1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPTV - How heavy?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Marty McFly, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, might be ordering an RP Toshiba this week but before delving in I was wondering if anyone can give an indication of how much these things weigh.

Bare in mind the TV will be travelling up a flight of stairs to reach its ultimate destination.

Are they heavier than standard TVs? I'm interested in a 42inch Toshiba.

Thanks in advance.

2. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other question for ya.

Should I purchase the 50hz model or the 100hz. Bare in mind I do not need digital TV and already have Dolby Digital 5.1 setup.

According to many review sites the 50hz flicker problems are very low and from what I have seen on this forum so far the Toshiba is an award winning RPTV set.

42PW23P - This is the 50hz
    42WT29B - That is the 100Hz

Advice please people before I make a mistake and buy the wrong one.

3. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi nathan_silly,

I heard that about the weight but I don't really know how heavy that is in physical terms. Is it heavier than standard TVs, say a 32 for example?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 42PW23P- weighs about 50kg. Very difficult getting up the stairs (needed to take the screen, back panel & low section apart)

Getting the whole lot upstairs in one go would have damaged it (proberbly scratched the screen on the way up)

Even then, the bottom is blooming heavy- you need 2 people getting the thing upstairs.

Reg. 50/100hz-

If you only have NTSC 60hz material- buy the 42PW23P

If you collect PAL 50hz material- buy the 100hz models, as PAL flicker is pretty noticeable on my set (only for Region 2 DVD's though, terrestrial TV is fine)

[edit] how heavy is a 32"? I can lift a 28" widescreen on my own (struggle a little bit)- but lifting up the lower section of my RP needed a few grunts and ughs.. managed to lift up by myself though! :laugh:

5. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We managed to push a 32 inch TV (in the box) up the stairs with no problems at all. Of course two of us got it up the stairs and managed perfectly.

You say you got your RPTV upstairs on your own? without the bottom stand.

Ok - maybe I shouldn't purchase this TV set, as if it cannot go up the stairs there's not gonna be a point in buying one. Though a few friends have offered to help.

I live in the UK so most of my collection is PAL R2 so - does that mean the 50hz TV is out of the question?

6. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always thought RPTVs were much lighter than CRT TVs because of less components inside the main screen. Which is one of the main reasons I decided to choose an RPTV as a replacement.

If I need to dismantle and void the warranty getting it upstairs however (taking panels off etc) then it's not gonna be worth it.

How much of the TV can be removed from that huge base unit? right now I'm seriously reconsidering the whole thing despite really wanting one.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry- should have phrased better. I got help getting it up the stairs (and I needed it) , but I managed to move it onto of a cabinet on my own.

You do know the new models are out? - Progressive in (guess here) NTSC? possibly PAL, but not sure yet..

I don't like 100hz processing (and I didn't fancy taking a risk with a 100hz set, as I've seen Toshiba 100hz sets before :( ).. and one of the reasons I collect Region 1's, as it has higher refresh.

I cannot watch a PAL DVD for more than 10 minutes, it does my eyes in. Just last week I bought Ghostbusters on R1, brother has the R2. The PAL flicker is noticeable straight away (especially in brighter scenes, in the university grounds)

8. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - rapidly changing my mind about a Toshiba RPTV now :(

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CRT RP's are light- compared to the equilvant direct view, since the screen is plastic, and not glass. If you could find a 36" CRT RP I would guess it would be lighter than a 36" TV.

The tubes are large 5" ones (much larger than a normal TV) plus 3 large lenses, and the cabinet. I believe the 57" Toshiba is around 90kg. Also the lower half needs to be rigid- with a TV the whole thing is just the tube- the cabinet can be flimsy- it doesn't matter.

10. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So in short.

a) The 42PW23P is NOT recommended for PAL at all
    b) I'll not get it up the stairs

I was dead set on this set too :(

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look here for piccies of the internals of a RP.

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/Duvatyne.htm

You have the screen, which is held on by rougly 6 screws. It weighs about 5KG.

Then you have the screen, held on by around 5 screws at the back, then maybe 5 more just inside the cabinet. Weighs about 5 KG.

The bottom bit is the heaviest, that's the most heaviest bit... about 40KG and more (for the larger models)

12. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How easy is it to dismantle the top half (screen) from the base, do you need to open the thing up to do that?

The images I have seen on websites look like the entire system is just one big block that cannot be taken apart at all. If the entire screen can be removed from the top of the cabinet and carried up stairs then the rest, it's not that bad.

[​IMG]

To me that looks like one solid unit apart from the drawers at the bottom.

13. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, looking at weights for standard 32inch Direct View TVs (which is what I meant earlier)....

Sony Wega = 61KG
    Orion T7609 = 45KG
    Toshiba 32ZP38 = 52KG
    PHILIPS 32PW9527 = 59kg

Now some of those are heavier than the RPTV, indicating that the Toshiba is not actualy as heavy as my current Samsung. Which is what I suspected.

14. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    It may also depnd on your stairs, we eaily took a 46" RPTV up my brothers stairs, intact, no problems... weight didn;t seem an issue, and it felt lighter then his 36" Tosh PF1 set....

It would also be worth considering the new 42WH36P.. as it has the 'best' 100Hz Tosh has done, and has prog scan, etc... although I have only seen the 51WH36.. which was stunning, and mine arrives Tomorrow :clap:

I am lucky in that I find 100Hz not to be too much of an issue, then I've only ever had TOshiba 100Hz sets, which are generally praised for their lack of processing artefacts..

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See attached pic.

You have the speaker grille (attached by 4screws) You need to take this off to remove the screen (screen screws are hidden behind the screen)

Screen- 5 screws
    Back- About 9 screws, inside & the back

The main problem with moving it around- there are no carry handles on the side... just try and pick something up that's wide, heavy with nothing to grab :eek:

How large is your stairway? Once I removed the screen & back, I replaced the speaker grille (protects the innards), placed something over the lenses to protect them-and left the bottom heavy bit in the foam box.. since it has handles it's easier to hold and will protect it.

Try and keep the RP level- don't let it be at a sharp angle.

I'm surprised large CRT's are that heavy!
    :eek:

Like Demon said, if you can get the thing upstairs in one piece- do it. I would also try and leave in it's box until it's moved to the room you want- it'll protect the screen.

Attached Files:

• rp.jpg
      rp.jpg
      Size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
  16. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    100Hz on my Tosh RP looks great and that's with PAL DVDs.

Remember, there's a lot more on screen menus, text etc these days, which is where 100Hz comes into it's own. Anything less, then make sure uou stock up with paracetamols!

17. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our staircase is not that steep, ok it's not really easy but it's not steep either. Compared to some houses that have stair casing that is almost vertical.

We did manage to get a Samsung WS32V54NS up the stairs in the box simply by pushing at one end. No damage done and got it there within 5 minutes.

The Toshiba will be in a HUGE box and sounds like it's gonna be a nightmare to get up the stairs in one piece. Anyone that has done this, how many people did it take? did YOU have to dismantle it?

This is the ONLY thing stopping me.

18. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    well like Nathan said, I'd remove the screen, this is easy, and would just save any small accidents...

You should be able to 'mock' up the size of the TV with some cardboard boxes stuck together... assume its 'rectangular' and try getting that up the stairs..