1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rptv decision & extended warrenty Q&A

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nero041001, Sep 20, 2003.

1. nero041001

nero041001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please please please help me one more time im still trying to decide as i need a set that i want to play games on (pal and ntsc) as well as films (pal and ntsc) but mainly pal for both so im not sure what to choose between the following:

Samsung SP42W5HFX

Toshiba 42PW23P

cos i only have a strict budget of £1000 for the set and not much else for an extra warrenty

though the samsung is 100hz and the toshiba is only 50hz as people have said on this forum before i think the toshiba would be the best set out of the two overall but im not totally sure

would either set be more suspectable to screen burn? or is it just a standard thing that would happen with all rptv's?

By turning the contrast down without the brightness going down would it still have the same effect and reduce the risk of burn in?

or would i definatly have to turn both the brightness and cntrast down?

By turning them both down how long would it be safe playing a game with static images?

If i was able to turn the static images off in a game (which you can in some) or if the game had no static images at all would it be safe to play as long as i like as long as no static images are present?...............or do the graphics themselves damage it even if they arnt static?

what set would be the best to go for out of these two models in particular cos i cant afford anything else? i think the toshiba but i may be wrong cos im going for reliability too!

Also would i able to get a extra or should i say extended warrenty direct from the manurfacturer instead of from the shop i get the tv from as long as i contact the manurfacturer within a month of when i buy the set?

because i would prefer to get one direct from either toshiba or samsung instead of a shop like fargos as they state that they would only give vouchers if the product is beyond repair and their not able to replace it

Has anyone got an extended warrenty direct from the manurfacturer before or do you have to get it in the shop where you by the set?

If any of you have got it direct from them does anyone have a rough price it was

Thank you all very much for your time reading through all of this and i will let you know my decision which i will make through your comments and answers when i have got a number of replies

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    High contrast (proper term white level) is what increases the risk of screen burn. Use Avia and increase contrast until the white starts to bloom, then reduce a few notches. You want the white's to be white, but not too high (blooming) or too low (grey)

Brightness (proper term black level) does not. Although if you set it too high blacks become light grey, making the picture washed out. Set brightness by putting up the THX test screen (or even better Avia)- and increase brightness until the black screen is grey... then go back down a few notches (until the black is true black)

If you can totally remove any on screen logo's from games you'll be OK. I would not play any games with logo's as it'll cost about £1000 to replace the tubes.

Regarding flicker- if your software collection is 100% NTSC (games and DVD's) go for the standard 50hz set (the 42PW23P), however if you have PAL software (Region 2 DVD's and UK games) I would go for a 100hz set.

I'm not sure of Samsung sets... although from general vibe regarding CRT RP's, Toshiba & Sony make the best ones.

Oh I bought my set for about £1100 all-in from Unbeatable (came direct from Toshiba) I didn't bother with a extended warraty. If it blows up 13 months after I buy it my dad is a electronics engineer. :)

Oh if you do get the Tosh- here are my settings (at least help you get closer to the ideal setting)

Contrast 40
    Brightness 50
    Colour 35
    Tint set for yourself, think mine is +7 (due to red push)
    Sharpness minus 10

3. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Just noticed that the Toshiba 42PW23P is £999 (£1099 with stand) on the Argos (Jungle?) website atm in their autumn sale. Good price.

4. nero041001

nero041001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loada.....yep that's right that is where I first saw it

Nathan.....Thanks again Its quite a lot you manage to answer my questions where would i get 'avia' from? i see a lot of people have talked about it but im not sure where and how much it is?

good news about the games then.....with the contrast down how long would i be able to play a game safely with static images cos some people have said 3-4+ hrs and others have said about 2-3 hrs any more ideas?..........say if i played with a game with static images for 2 hrs then watched 30mins-1hr of tv would i then be able to go back to the game and play on for another 2hrs and so on and so forth or would i be able to play one game for two hrs then tv then a different game? i will have to be careful and vary the viewing

How will i know if i can see flicker before i go to buy the set though? there is no where , where i can see a proper demo af a set that i can get to all i have is comet and currys but i have never seen flicker as far as i know of on any tv's but then ive never had a rptv before

thats good that your dads an engineer my old man was one but he had meningitis and a stroke at the same time and he's never been able to concentrate enough since.thanks again for your help

If anyone else has managed to get a extended warenty from the manurfacturer please let me know what its like and price examples

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here for Avia DVD.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66336&highlight=avia+power

Cheapest I've seen it - about £32. Avia is in NTSC only. So if you want to check geometry & convergence in PAL (without going into the service menus) you'll need another test DVD with PAL. Or wait until a dual format DVD is released. Or use a PC's S-Video output and display test screens with the output in PAL (either make your own bitmap grids - which I've done, or use software that's already out there.

Avia is pretty much essential for CRT RP & CRT Front Projector owners, as it has tests that help adjust your screen. It has too many video & audio tests to mention (at least 100+) and doco's on audio/video gear, talk-through on each adjustment etc.

Three people who've sat down and watched a PAL DVD on my 50hz set spot flicker... that should give you a idea. Wheras with NTSC material flicker is non-existant during the film; only on menu screens with text it's just about noticeable.

Some pubs have Toshiba CRT RP's.. maybe phone around and ask if they've got RP's? Go and watch footy or something, find out if the set is a 50hz or a 100hz model.

6. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If you pay for your set with a credit card you often get an extra years free warranty on top of the manufacturers warranty.
    I used a Nationwide Gold card to pay for my RPTV and was offered either the extra year free or pay £70 for another three years on top of that, effectively a five year warranty for £70, damn good value in my opinion for a set that retails at £1500.:smashin:

7. nero041001

nero041001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just managed to get a reply back from toshiba if anyone is interested in getting a extra warrenty there instead of in the shop they use a different company that works directly with toshiba here are the details:

A company called London and General Holdings registers the guarantee on behalf of Toshiba and is able to offer extended cover. For further information regarding this please contact them on 0208 2479888.

i havent rung them to find out what there price for covering the 42pw23p yet ill do that somtime during the day and let everyone know