Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

RPTV Convergence Red Gun skewed????

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by MarkR, Nov 30, 2003.

1. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    RPTVs are a pain in the a***!!!
    I have had my Tosh 42" for a while now and am still not happy with the covergence set-up. I have got it near enough spot on but have a small problem. The problem is on the Red gun, when I position the red cross in the middle immediately you can see that vertically it is straight but on the horizontal you can see the line going slightly diagonal. A good example is if you look at the white box just under the center cross you can see red on top left hand side of the box and on the bottom right of the box you can see red, the middle is spot on. Once I get the center cross in position to the best I can I then position the other 8. I then goto a teletext channel as I find this is a good way of testing the RGB registration and even though I have placed all crosses to the best I can there are still certain areas where you can see that the red is out.
    It is as though the the Red gun is skewed by 1 degree. I hope this makes sense to anyone who can help me, which will be much appreciated.:mad:

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    You need to do a service level convergence...

If you have some common sense, its fairly stright forward, and has 60 odd points you can adjust...

Do a search, there are several tutorials on these forums, and the same instructions are almost indentical between sets, since they share the same method for getting into 'service mode' and the same procedure for asjustment..

It seems a pain that you would have to do this, but look at any CRT based device and you will see imperfections in convergence/geometry etc, but at least with the Tosh RPTV you can adjust all these things yourself...

3. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Hi Demon, had a feelin you were going to say this. Just been reading your thread regarding service level convergence. Just to clarify if I take note of the numbers that come up upon reaching service mode and I do manage to cock it up completely I should be able to put back the numbers I wrote down and all will be well again???
    Also I was reading on your thread that I use numbers 2, 6, 8, 4 for the cursors, 5 for entering. How do I navigate around the screen to adjust the relevant points or is the case of when I push 5 to enter that will automatically take me to the next point???

EDIT: I have been reading more into your covergence Thread and all in all seems to make logical sense. I assume I can follow the same instructions for my 42'??
    Also just to clarify again, if I write down the numbers before setup and I do cock it up I should be able to enter those numbers in and all should be reverted to last set-up??

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    There are only 1 or 2 data entries that can really mess things up, but these aren't accessible in Service mode.. so don't panic..

Of course, for convergence, you are moving a grid around, there are no numbers to write down, but don't worry about this.

TIP#1 - On your first attempt, do not change the green grid.. just align the Red (To the green grid), then Blue (To the red grid)... this cannot then really affect anything other then convergence..

I bet you will see how easy it is, and wonder why it is not part of the normal menu!!!

TIP#2 - When you enter Service mode, you will have the value RDRV or RCUT displayed, write this down immediately, as this is the one you are more likely to accidentally change, of course if you do go through all available values, write them all down..
    have fun

5. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Thanks Demon for that, I will try and give it a go later, will let you know how it went!!:suicide:

6. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Demon, before I start this you said align the red to the green grid and then the blue to the red grid. Why cant I align the blue to the green as I did for the red??? I am sure there must be a logical reason??
    Thanks in advance!!:rolleyes:

EDIT: I keep my mode in wide screen on scart 2 for all channels and DVD as I run this all from an AV amp. I say this because I get the impression I would have to do a convergence setup in each mode i.e. Cinema, 4:3 etc. As I keep my RPTV in one mode does this mean one convergence setup??

7. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hello MarkR

so you're on the brink of messing about in the service menu- don't worry it's not as bad as it seems once you get in there- pretty scary the first time, though!

Wide Mode- you can do that on it's own- it's all i tend to use myself-next time when you have more confidence you can converge all screens.

I can do the whole convergence thing in about 20mins now, but took about 2hours the first time- I was working very slowly in case I screwed up. It's important to have time to work and also no distractions like kids,pets and especially no wife/girlfriend looking over your shoulder!

Also just to clarify your earlier point about the 2,4,6,8 keys.
    These are the up/down/left/right keys to move the cursor around the screen. 5 locks the cursor in place so you can then converge that point (again using 2/4/6/8/ but this time they are for adjustment of the fixed point). Press 5 again and the cursor is free to move again.

Once into service mode, I've seen several ways to bring up the convergence menu -(wide/cinema etc)- either "7", sometimes "F" then "7", 0r Yellow button. This depends on which Toshiba model you have.

When convergence finished (or moving to next screen mode) press ">". The screen grid will implode- don't panic, just wait a minute while the TV cycles thru the new settings. Then switch the set off and on again- should see perfect convergence.
    Good Luck!

RKB

8. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    As for aligning the Red to the Green, then the Blue to the Red..

Its just easier that way.. there is no major technical reason why this is done like this... but you will find that Blue on Red does make it easy to see when they are diverging....

9. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Fair enough, just one more question before I start, once I finish how do I save the new settings??

Cheers for that RKB:smashin:

10. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    The settings are automatically saved...

However to get out of Service mode just put the set into standby and then back on again...

11. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Cant believe how easy that was, as you said Demon why isn't that in the normal menu??
    Almost every cross was out, cant believe how clear the picture is (it was good before must be about a 20 percent improvement).
    Is there anything else I can do to improve picture quality??

12. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi MarkR

that was quick- less than 1.5hrs! No doubt you did the convergence in an hour and spend the rest of the time admiring the results!

Happy viewing:hiya:

13. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Yep pretty much that!!:D
    Just went back into it to tweek it here and there. How often do you reckon I should do this setup??

Demon, just been reading about Electrical and Optical focus... on your thread, would you reckon this is worth doing, starting to get the perfectionist bug.......:rolleyes:

14. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've done the service level convergence about 6 times in a year- each time getting a wee bit more adventurous on which settings I tweak- like red colour intensity.
    Ironically I put up with a crap picture for the first year after having a "service" technician out to fix a misconverged area just off- centre. Needless to say, technician tried convergence from "user menu" and announced "that's as good as it will get"

:mad:
    thank goodness for forums!

I've tried the optical(?) focus, but have not yet been brave enough to strip the telly and adjust each crt gun. One day...

cheers

RKB

15. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I know this may sound silly but I will put on a film such as Shrek or Monsters Inc as I find these sort of movies the best to judge for colour, sharpness etc. If it passes I will leave the optical focus.
    BTW I do have Avia and have setup contrast, brightness etc. to recommended.:)

Cheers for advice RKB and Demon

16. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Checked the convergence this morning and saw that it was out again. I put it down to the set not being up to temperature. In less than half an hour it went back to normal. (Thankgod!!)
    I assume this is normal?? (Stupid question really:rolleyes: )

17. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi
    question understandable- we've all been there with our RPTV at first. Mis-convergence is normal until warmed up. You tend to notice it immediately on start-up but after 10-15 minutes it's almost back to normal- however always best to wait at least an hour if you want to make any adjustments.

RKB