1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rptv and surround sound

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bandy, Jul 8, 2003.

1. bandy

bandy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a tosh 42pw23p and would now like to add a surround amp but i wonder if it would be possible to use the left and right speakers on the tv and my hi-fi speakers (which are in the perfect posistion) for the rears. i know i'll have to have a base a sub and a centre
    but i dont want speakers everywhere .......cheers guys

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same TV as you.. you could use the TV speakers as the centre channel. Buy a AV amp (say Yamaha 6xx range) connect your hifi speakers upto the to left & right speaker terminals.. take the centre pre-out to the TV stereo phono input's (you'll need a mono to stereo splitter) and buy rear speakers- either bipole, dipole, monopole or tripole- and add a subwoofer.

You do need to place surround peakers behind you (or to the sides) and not next to the TV.

[edit]

You'll need to balance out the centre volume.. set the TV to a certain volume (the same level as normal TV listening) and use the Yamaha's centre channel level to get the same as the other channels.

3. bandy

bandy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry nathan what i meant was i wanted to use the left / right speakers on the tv for front left / right and hi- fi speakers for rears ( via hi-fi or adding seperate cable ? ) and adding a centre and a bass.........will the yamaha be able to do this ?