1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPTV and centre channel...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by SimonO, Jun 12, 2003.

1. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I'm thinking of getting a 42" or 50" Toshiba RPTV but I'm not sure of the best way (cosmetically) to integrate a centre channel speaker... I haven't had a chance to look at the sets yet, but have noticed that they all seem to have grill cloth under the screen... Is this to cover the CRT's or can you hide a speaker under there..?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Behind the speaker grille is chock full of three large crt's- you can't fit one in there.

The top of the RP is quite shallow (42" Tosh) so I can't fit my large centre there either. Instead placed infront of the TV.

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks for the info...

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You could cut some polystyrene to fit the top and back part of your tv to give the centre a flat surface to sit on, sit it upright on the floor in front of the tv, or put a shelf on the wall behind your tv for the speaker to sit on.

I pondered all these possiblities but ended up going for a Sony KP44PS2 which allows you to use its internal speakers as the centre channel with an a/v amp. This may not be a good solution for the more discerning a/v enthusiast as the timbre won't match the front pair, but in practice I find it sounds and looks great.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :eek:

Rather stick to my Kef 200, it could be slightly better than the built-in speakers.:rotfl: