1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"rp's"

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mammoth, Sep 5, 2003.

1. mammoth

mammoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan, Have been thinking of upgrading my aging 2539 for a while now dont know whether to go for the PF2 or a 42" RP as I have this idea that with a RP you need to view the screen directly in front of it as opposed to a conventional tube where no matter where you sit to view the picture it is acceptable, your thoughts please.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vertical viewing angle is more prone to dimming on a rear projection- for best overall brightness your eyes have to be around the centre of the screen; although you can be about 30 degrees (either way) out- you can still see most of the image, but the furthest top or bottom is slightly less bright.

Horizontal viewing distance is much better, I can be well off-centre and it'll still have even brightness all over. Guessing the angle- say 90 degress is directly in front of the set; probably at 45 & 135 is great.. probably higher than that; but unless I measure it out I don't exact figure.

I wouldn't bother going into Currys and looking at the RP's there. Because of the poor source, misconvergence, default picture settings & high ambient light that's being shone onto the screen it'll look awful.

I would pop round someone's house with a well set up RP and check out the picture quality & viewing distance. You could also find a pub with a CRT RP, as the room should be dark enough; although probably not setup but at least you get a idea of viewing angle (the sets will probably be a few years old so new models will improve on picture quality fronts)

Off-angle isn't as good as a direct view, but I've always sat directly in front of a display; whether CRT RP, CRT FP or direct view. Sitting off angle causes image distortion anyway- so why sit off-angle?

Having a three seater sofa in front of the RP will be perfect; having say a two seater in front with two single chairs to one side will be not as good.

3. mammoth

mammoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case im going for the PF2 as my living room is odd shape, as I said in first post I am upgrading my 2539 had it for 10 years had no trouble with it, the picture is pin sharp no colour bleed could have been one of Tosh's finest tubes anyway thanks for the advice.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Next time I switch my set on I'll work out H&V viewing angle. Like I said, it's probably much higher. Are you interested in H. viewing angle only?

Quite a few people of these forums own Toshiba & Sony CRT RPs; I'm sure someone will give comments on their set's viewing angles.

IMO if I had the choice of the 36" Toshiba direct view or a 42" RP (which is cheaper) I would go for the RP. Better ability to correct geometry errors. Every 36" set I've seen has awful geometry faults.

5. mammoth

mammoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically yes I wouldnt relish seeing half of a screen and trying to work out what is happening???

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Sony 44" RP and the horizontal viewing angle isn't really an issue until you get to really extreme angles that would make watching any tv uncomfortable. I think the quoted figure for horizontal viewing angle was 120 degrees.

I have no regrets whatsoever about going the RPTV route.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just measured the viewing angle. The viewing distance is also 120 degrees (60 degrees either side of 90) At 30 degrees it's still watchable, and the same at 150 degrees.

Although the picture looks very trapezoidal. Who wants to have a picture like that?

Ah well there's all sorts of people around :rotfl:

Attached Files: