Rpi4 lms - am i on the right track?

Ianfromnotts

I have SB Touch with LMS running on my pc. Finally decided i should move it to nas.

Rpi4 seems to be the way to go, but its a steep learning curve.

Current plan is Rpi4 4gb with neo case. Initially I was thinking 8gb with flirk case but reading more on avf it looks like 8gb is overkill and the neo case more flexible.

I might one day try to add a screen and use the rpi4 to feed music to a usb dac.

I have a 32gb sandisk extreme pro memory card to load picore player and lms on.

Usb 3. 1 ssd formatted in ntsf to hold the music files. Powered from the rpi usb port.

Rpi psu plus usb c extension cable

Network cable to my router/switch

I have display, keyboard. Mouse for initial set up. Guess i will run headless after that

Anything i have missed or need to consider further?

Any safe and eady power down/off options

Many thanks

Ian

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Using Picoreplayer there is no need for keyboard/mouse for initial set up. Just boot it up, find the ip the router has assigned and pop it in to your address bar and the picore screen will appear.

32gb card is a bit overkill but will obviously work fine. I just got a new Pi4 to run LMS and all working fine with an old 2gb card I found in a unused phone.

You need to install LMS from the picoreplayer settings and also add file support. You may also want to set up a share if you want to access the hard drive from your PC. This is all pretty much self explanatory just by looking at the settings options but post back here if you're stuck. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I set mine up so it's all pretty fresh in my mind and I can probably help.

Edit: I leave mine running 24/7. Had my pi3 doing the same for 6 years and still works fine. Not sure if there's a full shutdown option in the settings but I did read that if you stop LMS (there's an option to do that) then it's safe to just pull the plug. Not looked into that in any detail though.

Last edited:

Ianfromnotts

Many thanks, that all makes perfect sense

ChorltonWheelie

I used the 2GB Rpi4 because that's all they had in. It absolutely murders it...no need for anything bigger.

I've a 512GB usb thumb drive shoved directly into the Rpi to house my DSD's, works a treat.

Good luck, it's a fantastic thing once it's all setup.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I used the 2GB Rpi4 because that's all they had in. It absolutely murders it...no need for anything bigger.

I think my Pi3 was only 1GB and it ran LMS for 5 or so years without a problem. I bought 4GB this time round but only as I thought it may be useful if I end up wanting to use it for something else later down the line, even though I have no ideas in mind. I would have happily bought the 2GB if the 4 wasn't in stock at the time though.

Khazul

You may struggle to find a 4GB R-PI 4 at the moment. I have been seeing estimates on delivery toward end of year from some dealers :(

Estimates for 8GB models seem to be around late March from some.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
You may struggle to find a 4GB R-PI 4 at the moment. I have been seeing estimates on delivery toward end of year from some dealers :(

Estimates for 8GB models seem to be around late March from some.

Worth signing up for Pimeroni stock alerts if you are looking for a 4GB. They seemed to be coming in and out on a daily basis when I ordered a few weeks back. I wonder if they were perhaps rationing them as it seems there were stock shortages everywhere but I still got one.

Cebolla

My LMS is still running nearly always 24/7 on an old RPi 2B for ~5 years - though it's mostly used for its online streaming services / internet radio support, plus it's running under the more generic DietPi distro (I prefer to be more hands on), rather than the Squeezebox/LMS centric piCorePlayer.

BTW, I'd advise erring on the side of caution and actually properly shutdown piCorePlayer itself (via the Main Page) before pulling the RPi's power plug, rather than just stop LMS (via the LMS settings page) - as per its instructions:
1645392498523.png

02.jpg

Last edited:

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
My LMS is still running nearly always 24/7 on an old RPi 2B for ~5 years - though it's mostly used for its online streaming services / internet radio support, plus it's running under the more generic DietPi distro (I prefer to be more hands on), rather than the Squeezebox/LMS centric piCorePlayer.

BTW, I'd advise erring on the side of caution and actually properly shutdown piCorePlayer itself (via the Main Page) before pulling the RPi's power plug, rather than just stop LMS (via the LMS settings page) - as per its instructions:
View attachment 1657257
02.jpg

I never even noticed that option when I looked. As mentioned, I run mine 24/7 too but out of interest, what may go wrong if not properly shutdown? Would you also suggest stopping LMS running before hitting the shutdown button?

Cebolla

Corruption of the RPi's microSD card could result, with no option but to reformat & reinstall piCorePlayer on it. It has happened to me before with a very early (buggy) version of Volumio which didn't do as advertised after selecting its shutdown function and I had no choice but to pull the plug. Also, it could corrupt the data on any mounted USB drives, depending on how pCorePlayer has been optimised to access them. Remember it's the operating system, ie, piCorePlayer, that's ultimately in charge of the hardware, not LMS which is just an application.

I'd say no need to manually stop LMS, as you would expect piCorePlayer to automatically do a proper controlled closure of all its running applications, so including LMS, as part of performing its shutdown of the RPi - the piCorePlayer doc instruction I posted certainly suggests that.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Well I won't take any chances but should there be any trouble using the shutdown button then this, taken from Picoreplayer.org homepage, would suggest it should be ok as long as LMS isn't running. I would unmount and disconnect the USB hard drive first just to be on the safe side though.

"piCorePlayer is built on a very small linux distro which is only about 12 MB, known as piCore Linux. It boots very fast and it is running entirely in RAM, it doesn't write to the SD-card unless you want to save a new setting. Therefore, pCP is very robust and you can simply pull the power without any risk of corruption of your SD card."

Ianfromnotts

All up and running, much easier than I expected. Using screen and keyboard on network pc works very well. Added code to switch the leds off. Only stumbling block was my ssd storage was formatted in ntfs and wasn't found, added the appropriate extention and all worked.

Ordered 4gb fron CPC but delivery date keeps slipping so got a 2gb from pihut. Going to cancel the CPC back order. Every week their delivery date goes forward by 1week. Less than ethical to me

ChorltonWheelie

I popped the free open source Squeezer from the Google store onto my phone and it's great.
Well worth investigating if you're running LMS/Squeezebox.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
I popped the free open source Squeezer from the Google store onto my phone and it's great.
Well worth investigating if you're running LMS/Squeezebox.
Even better is the lms material skin app which can be found on fdroid. You need to ensure material skin pluggin is installed and running on lms first though.

Cebolla

The lms-material-app apk is also available directly from the plugin's developer cdp73 (CraigD/CDrummond)'s GitHub pages:

Last edited:

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
The lms-material-app apk is also available directly from the plugin's developer cdp73 (CraigD/CDrummond)'s GitHub pages:
I always forget about getting it from there.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom