RPG suggestions please

stormjai

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

recently been putting hours into Civ 4..

now looking for a decent RPG to get my teeth into. What i really want is something like the Final Fantasy series, ie multiple characters, quests, turn based, buliding up characters, upgrading weapons/armour...

any suggestions?

ta

Jai

Baldurs Gate I and II. Absolutely superb games. Not exactly turn based but you can pause and issue commands whenever you like so effectively the same. Must be available very cheap now too.

Not multiple characters but massive quests. The best AI in the industry. The best graphics ever. It can only be The Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion!!!

I've been playing Civ IV for ages now, interspersed with CoD2 and Quake 4. So i'm not a massive RPG dude. However, Oblivion looks to be the game to change all that. I am definately buying this.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/679360p1.html with screenies and movies. Drool :thumbsup:

To get a feel for the Elder Scrolls series, you could pick up the previous version (called Morrowind) - you can pick the 'Game of the Year' version for a £10 for the PC.

Other than that, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are good, or try Fallout 1 & 2 for some RPG in a different setting. Planescape:Torment is worth playing as well.

If you want the very best RPG that has ever been, then Planescape Torment is the one. Unsurpassed story and there's nothing like it out there in terms of setting.

Tried morrowind (on XBox), but not my cup of tea! I'll give Baldur's gate a go.
Ta

Jai

The type of RPG you are looking for m8 is not availble on the PC!

All the games people have mentioned above are not the kind of games you are looking for so dont even bother buying them unless you really want to!
Because none of these games can be classed as CLASSICAL RPG's like Final Fantasy , Dragonquest, Grandia etc..

The truth is that PC doesnt have any of these type of games as i have tried looking myself and all i could find was Final Fantasy 7 :(

Apart from that the other games mentioned are still good but not what you are looking for!

any comments on Dungeon Seige 2 or Dragonshard? Is neverwinterNights solo or online..I've never been into online games, so need one that can be played solo.

Ta

Dungeon Siege 2 is real-time, so it might not be quite what you are looking for, but it's still pretty good. I haven't played the Dragonshard one.

As for KillerNads comment, if what you meant was a Japanese-style RPG (and I don't know where the description 'classic' comes from), then FF7 isn't the only one....try looking at the PC version of Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, which have all of those qualities..but if you buy the second one, make sure you patch it to the latest version.

To be honest, the Baldurs Gate/Planescape/Fallout games all include the stuff that Stormjai was after, usually have better stories and more to do, and usually have a much more active community in terms of mods etc, and that's speaking as someone who has completed FF 7,8,9 and 10 (and X-2).

stormjai,

Just to clarify some points.

Torment, Kinghts of the old Republic and Baldurs gate are very much story led. You become a part of an indepth story with a good sense of effecting the world around you. Of course you build up stats, become attached to your characters and aquire better equipment - thats part of what an RPG is.

Baldurs gate in particular, especially if you play them all, is very detailed with huge amounts of playing hours. Combat is, in my opinon better than tuns based: Upon entering combat the game pauses, allowing you to assign tasks and tactics. You un pause the game with the combat going real time (it is still turn based, but the computer basically joins the turns together to make it look like realtime). If things aren't working out too well, you pause the game and intervene, changing whatever you want to try and get a better result. It is a very good method of combat that isn't as clunky as turn based titles.

While an emphasis is placed on your character, in all the above mentioned titles you control all of the characters. Having many characters makes the gameplay remarkably in depth as you grow to rely on one character, only for him/her to gradually resent another party member until they wind up fighting each other. This kind of character interaction is what makes Torment and Baldurs Gate series the most memorable I can think of.

With regards to a "Classical" rpg, I would say that all of the ones mentioned above are much closer to what an RPG is all about compared to the, albeit still very enjoyable, FF series.

To be honest, the Baldurs Gate/Planescape/Fallout games all include the stuff that Stormjai was after, and usually have a much more active community in terms of mods etc, and that's speaking as someone who has completed FF 7,8,9 and 10 (and X-2).

Couldn't agree more.

Hero's of Might and Magic is a bit like Civ but in a fantasy realm. You capture castles and build resources to build armies, which can fight on the field or at castles.
Version IV was the last out but there is an expansion pack out.

I have played games like neverwinter nights and somewat of buldars gate but they are soo boring! I mean in terms of story!

Especially in NWN the story is soo old fashioned and targetted at 100years back that it just doest connect with me :(

I loved Bulders gate on the PS2 i thought it was awsome obvisouly not as an rpg but a good action based game.

By Classical RPG i mean games like FF,DQ,Grandia,Breath of Fire etc.. all these are classic rpgs and all other games like NWN and Bulders gate can not really be termed as rpgs they are just moddified versions of an rpg!

Classical RPGs were the ones that first came out like FF1 & 2, mostly they released in Japan and they included good story based games aswell as good FMV's!

Killer you obviously like Japanese rpg's and thats fine, but some of your points do little to further the discussion.

NWN story was old fashioned and didnt connect with you, but grandia did? But i suppose its a matter of opinion.

Also ff1+2 originally did not have fmv (i hear the ps1 editions did but i'v only played the snes ones).

NWN and Baldurs gate (bulders,budars...) are not modded games theyre originals and they most definitely are rpg's in any sense of the term, just not turnbased rpgs.

Anyway i also prefer Japanese rpg's like final fantasy and breath of fire (currently eating chunks of my sleep away on the psp) but alot of pc rpgs also get me hooked and i cannot wait for elder scrolls 4.

Hero's of Might and Magic \o/

and i cannot wait for elder scrolls 4.

Quite. If any series epitomises the idea of playing a role within a game as you please, it is the Elder Scrolls series. Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion just looks too good to be true from what I have read.

russraff said:
Surely, if we are getting pedantic about the "first classic RPG" then surely Ultima 1, released waaay before Final Fantasy would take that honour??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_I
Slightly off topic but Ultima 7 and Ultima 7: the serpent's throne are two of the best RPG's I've ever played. Up there with FFV and BG2.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
How about Deus EX 1, although not a traditional RPG its a great mix of FPS great story and some impressive rpg elements. It has a linear story but there are multiple ways to complete each section and depending on your choice of upgrades how you play, either stealth'em'up or guns blasing doom style.

Personaly i liked becomes the ultimate sniper and just running around getting head shots.
It truly is one of the best cross genere games ever, although the second was a disapointement.

As for the japanese vs 'traditional' rpg, each to their own but the jap ones seem to lead you by the ear (like your on rails and can only go forward or back in a set path) while the more traditional ones have a large amount of freewill and choices.

Also check out the little known Gothic series, great grapghics (still good today) and a world so large its the closest thing to a single player MMORPG. You walk around the town and people are talking to each other (actual voices in an rpg :eek: )what they talk about also changes as you do stuff. This is a third person over the sholder game, the combat is a bit tricky but again the story is top notch, and has so many little touches its amazing.

Another one is Vampire The Maskerade Redemption (the origional, posibly availible on budget) amazing story, somewhat linear but it never feels it plus the ability to run around new york as a someone who looks and sounds like the highlander cutting up vamps is fun :D You get to lead a small team in this one, but once you've played it through a few times (and you will :D) you just leave them to get all the xp for the main char

All those games are pretty old, maybe even 5 years so eye candy has aged but the game play, story and sheer adiction is un matched. You could probably pick them all up for £10 for 3. Also they all have unusual views unlike the tradition isometric top down view which is refreshing.

Heroes of Might and Magic is a story based strategy game, not an RPG although it has RPG elements such as character development. It IS an excellent series, however, some of the most enjoyable games I've ever played, especially Heroes 1 and 2 which are sadly no longer available and they are all turnbased with excellent turnbased combat very similar to Japanese RPGs. The Heroes series was based on the original Might and Magic series which were RPGs, but they were more like adventure games in the vain of LucasArts titles such as Monkey Island and Sam and Max.

As others have already recommend, Baldur's Gate and NeverWinter Nights, all made by the same developers. NWN is the most recent and most technically impressive, but BG gets my vote as the more absorbing story orientated game. If you can get both BG and BG2 as the stories are linked, and if you get both you are guarantted 100 hours of play time. I don't know what you do, but I know that I only found time for those days when I was a student, I could never finish them now.

BG2 in particular is amazing, with a really touching story.

But as others have already said, not many of your type of RPG are available on the PC, you need to go onto Ebay and get yourself a SNES and start enjoying the excellent Final Fantasy back catalogue, for me FF7 was Square's last great RPG, and even that wasn't a patch on *** 5 and 6. Oh I think Skies of Arcadia came out on the PC, it was originally a Dreamcast and then Gamecube game. It's your typical Japanese turn based RPG with a very involved story and excellent graphics and turn based combat on both land and the air in massive air ships.

Thanks for all the suggestions..

I had/have a SNES, and have played all Final fantasy titles on them (though not finished any!)..

I,ve played PC Diablo(+expansion), which was good, and Baldurs Gate 1& 2 (action RPG) on PS2..

Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 on PC seems to be getting many recommendations, so may give them a blast when I can locate a copy..:cool:

Melkor said:
Hero's of Might and Magic \o/
Thats the one I meant Ive edited the name in my post from Magic & Mayhem but the rest of the post is correct in is discription, was it my post that gave you the idea?

Just been looking and there was a post in HOM&M here.

Garrett said:
Thats the one I meant Ive edited the name in my post from Magic & Mayhem but the rest of the post is correct in is discription, was it my post that gave you the idea?

To be honest no lol, was just thinking back a few years to what I loved playing and Hero's of Might and Magic was right up there with Civilisation 3, Settlers 2, Sim City 2 and Age of Empires

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom