1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPG Players Please Try This One.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Garrett, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
  2. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had it on Playstation, but couldn't get into it! I can see why its a good game tho. At that price its worth having.

Its a sold out tital, i bought TOCA 2 :blush: the other day and saw it on the link on the cd. Thinking of buying Tomb Raider 1,2,3 for £10, bargin.

Think this is it. sold out

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    I got the demo of it and could not even get into that, but when I got the full game it took me no time at all.
    The sequel Deus Ex The Invisible War should be coming out within in next quarter.

4. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Must of just been the Playstation version. I see the Thief series is there as well. What are they like Garret. I see you ( or Don't see ;) ) like them! seem to think i played a demo years ago. :confused:

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    Funny you should mention that Thief is what I consider to be the best game of all times. I think the first is the best as it has such a scary atmosphere, although the second one made me jump a few times. They also get good reviews and are sort of a sneak em up version of Deus Ex. Thief III should be out for Christmas. I have played both twice both on easy and expert. http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=thief&page=1
    Best thing the anti-hero has the same name as me.

Oh and there is a website that even has add on levels and guides at http://www.thief-darkproject.com/default.asp

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    If you like the thief series check out system shock and system shock 2 both v. atmospheric and playable. Not looked at recently though so do not know whether there wearing well.
    Can't wait for invisible war and Thief 3. Shall give thief2 another go soon just to get me in the mood.:devil:

7. Puz

Puz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ah Thief 1 & 2 were great. I've been selling a lot of my old games recently but I looked at both of these and said to myself ... 'Maybe one day I'll play these again'..... Classics and can't wait for Thief 3 to add to my dwindling collection ;)

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    To add a little countermeasure, I found system shock to be far better in terms of FPS/RPG crossovers.

I never got on with Thief, found it a little too dull for my liking.

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    The main point of Thief was it wasn’t a shootem up but rather a game of stealth, if you played it as a shootemup you would soon die. But one thing it did have was absolute bags of atmosphere.

So what do you think of Deus Ex Sinzer have you played it. It is taken a few years into the future and can be played in a number of syles although I did play it in my thieving way and went for stealth and sniping rather than going in with guns blazing.

10. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Deus Ex is fantastic. One of the best games I have ever played. I must start playing it again, come to think of it. I'd got pretty damned far, then something went wrong with my savegame, and it crashes the game whenever it tries to load. I haven't played it since, I was that annoyed. Has anyone else had this problem, and is it treatable?

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Yes i liked Deus Ex a lot, still was not as good as system shock though, that really did create a lot of atmosphere.

12. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Deus Ex is one of my fav games (even though I had to look up the Latin meaning of the title :blush: how embarrassing!). I have played it through twice, and I found it surprising how different the game played the second time.
    Thief, the first one, was superb. The second title ran too slowly on my rig, so I took it back for a swap. So, I never found out how good the second part was. Is it worth buying?
    I played System Shock 2 for a bit, and though it was scary (not as frightening as Aliens Vs Predator 2, though), I just couldn't get into it, and to this day I don't know why. The story is right up my street, so I should like it. The game kinda reminded me of Bioforge, a quite old game which I rate very highly. Anyway, drifting off topic, so I should really end this now.

Russell

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    Hi russraff

I’m surprised that Thief II played slow on you rig as I do not think it is as demanding on the graphics as is Deus Ex. I ran it OK when I had a AMD 500 and a Creative Banshee graphics card that was giving me a 3D 2000 mark of around 1000. I would say its worth buying at £4.99 or in Games 3 for £9.99 range. I did not find any difference in the quest playing in easy and expert as I did in Thief: The Dark Project which playing on expert opend new areas in some of the quest. SPOILER In the second game you eventually meet up with a character from the first game. The second game is also more about machines, rather than things that go bump in the night and is mainly bases in houses but there is a real couple of cracking quest, one on SPOILER a submarine base and an other a bit like the tricksters domain.

As to Deus Ex did you play that on 2 different difficulties? And is there any diference in the quest? I would like to play that again myself. I did play the 3 different endings out though.

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    Oh and the meaning of “Deus Ex machine” means “a god from the machine” I wonder if that’s why the main character was called JC and ah well that an other spoiler.

It also means In ancient Greek and Roman drama, a god introduced by means of a crane to unravel and resolve the plot.
    Or
    Any active agent who appears unexpectedly to solve an apparently insoluble difficulty.

15. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Well, I know what deus ex machina means, now, I looked it up! ;)

I played Thief 2 before Deus Ex as far as I can remember, my machine having a 333 Celeron, and a Riva 128 v/card. Thief was really slow, back then. As to the way the game played? Well I completed the game about two months after the initial release. I recently re-played the game, perhaps 3-4 months ago, and I solved most of the problems in a completely different way. The first time I played, I used a stealth/sniper rifle approach. The second time, I played in a more aggressive manner. It was almost like two different games.

JC was ment to mean what you think it does (being vaugue, incase someone out there, perhaps living in Chad, hasn't played the game). I read an atricle about the sequel by the makers, and they cleared up a couple of things. I think it was on the www.pczone.co.uk site.

I played the three endings, too. I prefered the middle one :)

Russell

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    Is that the one where you become benevolently omnipotent? If so it was my favourite also.

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    By the way Deus Ex jumped in the budget charts last week at No6 and crept up 1 to 5 this week but is being kept down due to Sim games.:mad: