RP TV's - the best all-round for gaming ?

RPD_UK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm finally looking to upgrade my (great but rather bulky) 32" CRT - and being that i luv my Xbox360 was wondering if a nice big RP TV would be the best 'all round' option.

It obviously also has to be great with DVD (a Pioneer 575) and be pretty darn good with Freeview too - as i can't get HD TV yet (NTL).

I had been looking at Plasma but the niggling worry of screen burn and reading about the 'green smear' problems on this forum last night have made me question the technology on fast movement.

Not that impressed by LCD either - as i haven't yet seen one that looks good on anything but HD - then there's the motion blur problems too.

So i've been thinking that with the Sony 50" 3LCD TV being available for as little as £880 - is this the best deal around?

Are the new Samsung 1080p RP DLP TV's going to be worth waiting for - or will they still suffer with 'rainbows' ?

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

Good Question, The problems with HD capable sets is that having good picture pocessor to upscale SDTV might introduce lag. however if it's HDTV native then there shouln't be any probs.

On some games reaction time is critical. Unfortuantly on my Sagem Hdd50-gt4 I have noticed a deffinte picture lag putting it slighly out of sync with the sound comming my av amp when watching DVD's and dolby digital on sky+. I haven't tried many SD games on it so i'm not sure how bad it is. but for HD games it's much better with no LCD like bluring and in fact looks more responsive than my 19" 8ms LCD monitor, which is about as good as most lcd tv's.

I'd suguest that you try to shop around and find a TV with a quick standard def signal processor or one that has at least 2 settings including one for games( i think the samsung DLP's have this).

http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/718/718587p1.html
No matter how fast your twitch reflex, lag has always been a problem with gaming, and now it's even more so with the advent of HDTV. When you're playing a gaming console through an HDTV, it just takes too long for the HDTV to process incoming images without unacceptable lag that ruins your gaming.

dud said:
No matter how fast your twitch reflex, lag has always been a problem with gaming, and now it's even more so with the advent of HDTV. When you're playing a gaming console through an HDTV, it just takes too long for the HDTV to process incoming images without unacceptable lag that ruins your gaming.

But say i'm playing my Xbox 360 - with its 720p native output selected - and i'm playing on a 1280*720 screen (like the 50" 3LCD Sony i'm considering) surely its not doing much - if any - scaling ??

http://empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~SON-KDFE50A12.htm

Utter, utter rubbish mate - no lag at all through my 50 Sammy DLP. Never heard it mentioned, ever by anyone I play with online either (unlike a million and one other HD artifacts I could mention)

Even my rubbish computer monitor doesn't suffer from lag (unlike tearing and smearing).

Go setup a poll on the 360 forums if you want more clarification, I can gurantee the poll will back me up and not the link you posted.

dud said:

I bought my Sagem hd-d56b especially for my xbox360. All i can say is its fantastic. sound when played through my av-amp is suppurb. a really immersive experience.

SDTV through sky+ is very good too. and DVDs are just awsome from a progressive scan player, or even the xbox.

go for it, is my advice.

Jordans Norks said:
Utter, utter rubbish mate - no lag at all through my 50 Sammy DLP. Never heard it mentioned, ever by anyone I play with online either (unlike a million and one other HD artifacts I could mention)

Even my rubbish computer monitor doesn't suffer from lag (unlike tearing and smearing).

Go setup a poll on the 360 forums if you want more clarification, I can gurantee the poll will back me up and not the link you posted.

Mr Norks - seing as you are (seemingly) an expert on many things (including sandwiches) can you confirm that what i said above was correct - in that a 720p output source (like my 360) would not need any scaling on a 1280*720 native display ??

Cheers !! :)

RPD, you are correct Sir!

I can also say though I've never, ever heard anyone mention lag on a HD TV even at 1080i and all the other various VGA resolutions - other a artifacts yes, lag no.

Go post on the 360 forum if you need more confirmation.

EDIT:- I'm not an expert on TV's, more a well informed user but the advice above is sound.

mpadgett said:
I bought my Sagem hd-d56b especially for my xbox360. All i can say is its fantastic. sound when played through my av-amp is suppurb. a really immersive experience.

SDTV through sky+ is very good too. and DVDs are just awsome from a progressive scan player, or even the xbox.

go for it, is my advice.

That 56" Sagem is a great buy at the moment i have to admit - but i'm a bit worried about the 'rainbow' situation and to be honest i shouldn't really be even considering the Sony 50" screen - never mind a 56" one !!
I only sit 10 feet away !! :eek:

Thanks for the advice though !! :thumbsup:

I sit 3ft away from my 56" Sagem when playing Oblivion.
I have never seen a rainbow during a game, only during tv/movies.

Rainbow wise I suffer from them quite badly but I have found that dropping contrast reduces them. I too don't see rainbows during game play...I'm too busy trying not to get killed / crash etc for the upteenth time!

pjclark1 said:
I sit 3ft away from my 56" Sagem when playing Oblivion.
I have never seen a rainbow during a game, only during tv/movies.

Jordans Norks said:
I'm too busy trying not to get killed for the upteenth time!

You and me both !! :D

arfster said:
10 feet is perfect for 50".

..as the actress said to the bishop... :rotfl:

i played on a 360 today for the first time. it was my first experience of high definition on my sagem 50" and i was blown away by the picture quality. i played lost planet demo, oblivion & kameo - all looked great.
i sit about 9ft away with no problem so you will be okay im sure.
now i need to save up my pennies to get a 360 of my own - played on a friends today.
...pete

fizzgog said:
i played on a 360 today for the first time. it was my first experience of high definition on my sagem 50" and i was blown away by the picture quality. i played lost planet demo, oblivion & kameo - all looked great.
i sit about 9ft away with no problem so you will be okay im sure.
now i need to save up my pennies to get a 360 of my own - played on a friends today.
...pete

Glad you like your new TV.

50" of HD gaming must be ace - i'm very tempted to buy the 3LCD Sony for £699+vat !! What a bargain !!

The Xbox 360 is awesome by the way - trade in your old Xbox (and games) in Game and it will knock a few quid off the price.

I'm currently playing GR:AW and its soooo good - especially on Live.

If you think Lost Planet looks good (which it does) you should check out Gears of War. Due out in October it looks truely gobsmacking, as does Splinter Cell Double Agent, Rainbow 6 Vegas and Mass Effect. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom