1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RP TV’s and placing non-magnetically shielded speakers

Discussion in 'TVs' started by monkey_boy, May 21, 2004.

1. monkey_boy

monkey_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just brought a Toshiba 57WH36 and want to use my hifi speakers with it until I have the money for a 6.1 or 5.1 setup. The thing is the TV is so big it doesn’t leave me much room to place the speaker’s ether side and I was wondering is this is safe with RP TV’s. I’ve tried them with my old CRT TV and they have to be placed quite close to affect the screen. :confused:

2. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When I first purchased my 57WH36 my front speakers wern't magnetically shielded. Like you said the size of the set doesn't leave much room and I had to place them right next to the tv. They caused no effect on mine and stayed there for around a month. The tubes on this set are very central and hence a long way from the edge.
    Hope this helps
    Mike

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Monkey Boy,

As far as I'm aware, this is not an issue with any RP TV.

Unlike a direct view set, where the left & right front speakers are alongside the crt, the tubes in a RP are going to be at least a couple of feet away from the speakers.

I've had a pair of KEF Concerto's each side of a Philips RP for many years without the slightest problem. (There's also an unshielded centre speaker balanced on the top!)

As they say, "It's correct to be concerned but be assured also."

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    If it does have an effect - it will be convergence error, not colour staining or dark patches (as with a direct view CRT). CRT RPTVs do not have a (or any) colour CRTs in them - they have 3 monochrome ones. Monochrome tubes don't get colour errors (they can't) but they may get distortion, which will manfiest itself as a convergence error.

5. monkey_boy

monkey_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this tv for a few days now and it doesn't seem to have any effect having the speakers next to the tv. I managed to get a bigger gap so they are not right next to the tv now. I thing I have noticed it the convergence does not seem to be very good. I have just tried taking the speakers away but nothing improves. I have been to the convergence setup a few times but can't seem to get it right. On the convergence setup there seems to be a lot of blue around each number.

White text seems to have a slight colour separation around it, it this normal? Maybe the focus is a bit out but I really don’t think I know what I’m doing enough to attempt to open the TV up and correct this :confused: I think there might be to much that can go wrong.

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Monkey Boy,

If you're not sure what you're doing then DEFINATELY don't open up an RP TV.

There's about 30,000 volts inside, so the first thing that could go wrong is that you may become an ex-viewer!

Good luck.

7. monkey_boy

monkey_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I wasn’t going to attempt that. ;)

8. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    monkeyboy & mikeg 247 can u please tell me wot size room u hav your 57wh tv in & how far u sit away from it as i really like this set 4 size & picture as i want 1 but weren't sure about my room size.it is 17ft by 12 ft 17 ft into my bay about 15 ft were tv will be i will sit about 9 - 12 ft away.thanks in advance regards nickj.

9. monkey_boy

monkey_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi nickj24, I have this TV in my bedroom till I move out so I only sit 8 to 9ft away and its fine at this distance. In face I’m at my desk using my laptop at the moment and its about 5ft away and I can still see the picture fine :) I find that the height has more of an affect than the distance or even the angle. As long as you sit fairly level with the TV at close distances you can see the picture.

You can’t beat this TV for the quality and size of the screen. I paid under £1700 inc delivery for mine but I really need a better DVD player to make the most of this TV which I will get very soon I think. Not to sure which one I’m getting yet.

10. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi NickJ,
    My room is about 12' x 12' and I sit about 8/9feet from the screen.

MonkeyBoy,
    Give the TV a chance to settle in (mine took about 2 weeks as far I can remember) and then if your feeling brave go into the service menu and set the convergance from there. you should then have a good sharp picture with no colour bleeding around text etc.
    Do a search in these forums for a guide on service menu convergance. The post was by Demon and I think it was headed as 51wh36 tips and tweaks.

Mike

11. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  12. monkey_boy

monkey_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was the first thing I looked at on this forum as a friend linked me to it :) Looked like a useful forum to join so I did and it is :thumbsup:

I'll leave it a couple of weeks and I might have a go. I don’t think to much can go wrong in the service menu if you read the advice carefully and take your time.

The picture does seem to be gradually getting better, I haven't even had the TV a week so I think you right about giving it a bit of time.

13. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much

14. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I watch my 51" from seven feet.

This is fine for most DVDs, but for TV (analog cable) I've found the picture quality would be a lot better if I could watch from 12 or more feet away. At that distances graininess/video noise disappears and a picture that looks rough from seven feet suddenly looks very good.

At 7 feet I find I don't want to use the sets 100Hz modes, because scan lines are to obvious, at 12 feet or more I would be able to take advantage of rock-steady 100Hz modes.

Because I use Progress mode (50Hz) all the time, I do sometimes have to put up with 50Hz flicker. This tends not to be a problem with drama (DVDs or TV) it tends to be bright light coloured studio backgrounds that cause it. The bright green surface of a distant shot of a whole football field is another example, but in general sport is not a problem. Even when there is flicker, because it is caused by larger areas of solid color, i.e. backgrounds usually, you often don't notice it because your eyes are focused on the person/action in the foreground anyway. So flicker is not as much of a problem as you might think it will be if you look out for it when choosing a set.

But it would be better if it did not exist. If I knew it would work, I would consider buying an Iscan HD for £1000 to feed my TV a 75Hz progressive signal. However this is just me being perfectionist - as long as picture quality is outstanding with DVD (which it is) I should be happy.

15. monkey_boy

monkey_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest, what dvd do you run with this tv?

16. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a Toshiba SD330, which Richer Sounds are selling for £50 now.

I run it through an Iscan Pro de-interlacer to turn the signal into progressive scan, however I have had this some problems with this setup that I don't have when DVD player is connected direct to TV.

The picture quality when the player is connected directly to the TV with a progressive lead (a quality version of which is cheaper than a quality Scart lead) is also generally excellent, except for the occasional de-interlacing artifact which the Iscan would have got rid of. Having said that, unless you spend £400 plus on a Denon (or maybe £370 on the new Yamaha 1500) then even with a cheaper progressive player you will still get some artifacts, it's a question of how often. I tried a Toshiba SD530 with built in progressive scan, that got rid of some glitches the TVs progress mode couldn't, but there were still some left that the Iscan would have solved. (Having said that, I've come across an artifact in one scene that even the Iscan couldn't get rid of, it was actually more severe with the Iscan.)

If you are not willing to spend £370 - £400 on the Yamaha or Denon, then I'd suggest the new Toshiba SD240E or Toshiba SD340E are worth a look as cheap players with progressive scan, also the Yamaha 540 seems to be well-regarded, and the new Pioneer 370 is in the same price range as the Toshibas. Actually there's lots of cheap players - even £40 Chinese ones are available with progressive scan via component outputs - there's no way of telling how good their de-interlacing is without trying them out. I suspect that (de-interlacing issues aside) most of these players will give good pictures.

I guess I can sum up my outlook by saying it's worth buying a progressive player in the under £100 price range or the over £400, but not inbetween.

When I get my next player, instead of mail-order I am going to get it from Richer Sounds (I can walk to my nearest branch) so I can take it back easily if I don't like it.

17. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Another thing to think about is that DNR in the TV doesn't work when you feed the TV a progressive signal. I've found some DVDs have video noise (grain, dots switching on and off on surfaces in the image) which the TVs DNR is good at reducing. I believe this noise is the fault of the recording, not the player, because it only happens with some recordings, usually older ones I think. (The Matrix is quite bad in this respect.) So it would be nice to have a player that had the equivalent of the TVs DNR built-in. The Toshiba SD530 had DNR, but turning it on seemd to soften/screw-up the picture to a huge degree, in a way the TVs built-in DNR doesn't.

I would be interested if anyone knows of players with good built-in noise reduction. I think all Panasonic players have something called "Mpeg noise reduction", I don't know if this is the same thing.

18. monkey_boy

monkey_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, it was quite helpful. I ordered the Pioneer DV-370 for £80 inc postage so I went for the cheaper option at this stage as I will most likely upgrade in a few months anyway because I should have some more money thanks to a new job :) would like to get a good 6.1 system before a another dvd though. I’ll be saving for that one. Would be interesting to compare it with the more expense Yamaha 1500 and denon's but without buying them as well its hard to do really.

19. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My personal view is that even if you decide you want top-quality de-interlacing such as the expensive players have, if you wait another year or so you will be able to get it much cheaper. Even now, I think the Samsung 935 which costs less than £150 has the same chip as the Yamaha 1500, though apparently it has some other things wrong with its design that make it not a good option for use with Europe/PAL. (It's design is geared towared USA where a version of it is also sold.)

When it comes with to computers and electronics these days, it often makes more sense to buy cheap and upgrade often than to buy the best.