1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RP sets & what sits underneath

Discussion in 'TVs' started by m@rk, Jan 9, 2002.

1. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    So my 36" Tosh is getting swaped out next week but I have a nasty feeling that all the problems will not go away.

So looking around for other 36" sets, that are in the same price range, nothing really catches my eye.

So lets take a look at RP sets. Within budget and lot of good reviews here but here is the catch.

My Tosh fills one corner of the room. The stand quite happily takes a DVD player, VCR & digibox.

Looking at the RP sets, they all appear solid underneath the screen (I am assuming that this is full of all the lenses etc). Am I right here?

Because of the shape of the room, if the DVD etc can't fit underneath the TV, there is nowhere else in the room for it to go.

Thanks

2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Time to get Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen and Handy Shandy in for som MDF magic. :D

Pathfinder

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I bought my tosh with the optional cabnit which the TV sits on. Its only high enough for one unit but room for two side by side. If you look in this months HCC there are ads with everything included, cabnit, insurance, etc. 46" for around £1800, thats cheap.

4. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... And where would the centre channel speaker go ?

The top of these sets looks very narrow and if you can't get a speaker below the screen then things aren't looking good. I had a look at a couple of RP sets today and asked this question. The sales guy looked stumped for a minute and suggested putting it at the side.

I noticed that the Toshiba had an extremely narrow vertical sweetspot where the picture suddenly brightened-up. Moving my head up and down I noticed that the angle was so narrow that I could see a horizontal bright bar moving up and down the screen in synchronisation with the movement of my head. I accept I don't normally watch TV like this but it indicates that the angle is so narrow some part of the screen will be darkened regardless of viewing height and my wife often lies-down to watch TV.

Allan

5. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I saw a Plasma Screen today for the first time. The quality was good but I could see pixalation across the screen. For nearly £7000 you would expect better than this. You have to realise nothings perfect. Even if I had the £7000 id still buy my RPTV and the rest on something else like a £2000 meridian DVD player! My center speaker sits happily on top of my TV very easily and this aint no small speaker

6. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BadAss,

If your model 200 sits (balances ?) on the top then my model 100 should be okay too.

The best RP set I saw today was the 50" Sony Grand Wega. Looked great in the shop. Brighter than the Sony 36" CRT sat next to it which in comparison looked dull, flat and uninteresting. Didn't suffer from the critical viewing height like the Tosh. V. expensive though. I'm going to have a dem of the 40" Loewe next week.

Might be time to downgrade some of the Hi-Fi system to fund an upgrade of the AV system.

Allan