1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RP reliability

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Animal, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Animal

Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m after a new TV and decided on a RP, most probably the Tosh 42WH36. However, I’m not sure whether to get an extended warranty as, depending where it’s bought from, these can be very expensive. Are Tosh RPs generally reliable after they’ve been bedded in or should I play safe? I know the 36 is a relatively new model but presumably it uses similar technology to previous Tosh sets. Thanks for any advice.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I can only speak for mine(one of the older Tosh's...a 50WT29B)which has given no problems so far at all,and withstood the kids abusing it on a daily basis.....8 mths old.
    I did get a warranty for an extra 2yrs after a bit of haggling over delivery and things like that,but I'm not sure I'd bother paying a huge amount for one otherwise.

3. Animal

Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I think I’ll take a chance and get it without the extended warranty as it’s hard enough to justify a grand on a TV without an extra few hundred quid for something I may never use. Besides, from what I’ve read on these forums, to get the most out of the Tosh I will probably need to do a service level convergence which may invalidate the warranty anyway.

4. KarlosFandango

KarlosFandango
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may already know this but it seems that if you have a Barclaycard and use it for anything electrical over £50 you can get an additional years warranty for free. I've just done this on the 42pw23 that I've just bought.

5. Animal

Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, KarlosFandango. Do you know if it’s just Barclaycard or do other credit card companies offer the same deal? Also, does anyone know if JL sell RPTVs because I’m pretty sure that the only big screens my local branch sell are plasmas.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As far as I've seen from my local JL,they don't,although obviously Comet etc do,and certainly Comet's pricing seems as good as the high street gets,without going to internet sales.
    Having said that,he other major retailers also have quite a range,and looking at them all is relatively easy given a little time,before deciding where the best deal is.

7. Animal

Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alexs2. I was really interested in JL because I think they offer a ‘free’ 5 year warranty on televisions. However, if JL don’t sell RPTVs I think I’ll get it from the cheapest ‘reputable’ internet store without an extended warranty and hope for the best!

8. KarlosFandango

KarlosFandango
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked to buy from JL but it seems they don't stock RPTV's, even had a sales chap searching through their computer database for them.