1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RP queries Tosh51WH36P

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by andyxxx, Oct 8, 2003.

1. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a complete newbie some of these questions may seem a little simple, but I would appreciate any input.

My newish 32” Panasonic TV is not large enough cos we have just moved and the lounge is much bigger. I therefore need a bigger set, won’t pay Plasma prices (and in any case the TV sits in the corner of the room so largely defeats the object)

Having seen the new Toshiba range advertised I went to look at a few with the Toshiba 51WH36P in mind.

My first contact with rp has been Curry’s. I was not overly impressed. The picture on a 42” Sony and 3 different Toshibas all seemed fuzzy/shadowy/slightly out of focus – yet most of the tube TVs and Plasmas were crisp and focused – surely they were all receiving the same signal. The salesman insisted the rp sets were set up correctly. Would this be ‘convergence?’ – he just messed around with the contrast (which made no difference) or is it likely to be the brightness or sharpness that needed setting?

I have read loads on this forum and am astounded at peoples in depth knowledge. A review by Demon on the 51WH36p was astounding yet also off-putting. I am worried (not being technically minded) not to be able to obtain the crisp picture I require. I do not want to have to worry that it may need felt adding to improve the picture!

My main concerns are listed below.

1 That once correctly installed the picture is of a similar standard to that I am used to.
    2 I watch largely Sky digital and excepting extreme weather conditions am generally happy with the picture received on my 32” Panasonic. Can I assume the picture quality will be similar from the same source?
    3 When playing DVD I do not want to have to alter settings each time – would I be disappointed in not doing so?
    4 Am I right to understand my centre speaker can sit on the rp box? And if so that no magnetic fields will damage the projector or interfere with the picture?
    5 I would be sitting about 5metres from the set – would 51” be large enough?
    6 Is the picture worse on rp during daylight hours?

Does anybody have any suggestions on similarly priced rp sets that I should perhaps look at?

Many Thanks

Andy

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably better in the TV area....

Moved.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) You need to adjust contrast/brightness/colour/tint/sharpness, plus at least user level convergence. But once that's done- yes I think for the size it can produce equilvant quality picture compared to a direct view.
    2) If the source is crud, expect this crud to be blown up. So any MPEG artifacts/blocking will be bigger. Nothing you can do about that
    3) PAL has different black level to NTSC, so if your DVD collection is R1 plus watching terrestrial it might be slightly out. Unfortuantly not many sets offer per input custom settings. 99% of the time the custom settings are fine for all sources anyway.
    4) Dunno about the 51" depth (I have the 42") but check the top shelf. What centre have you got? Is it heavy?
    5) I'm 6' from a 42"- about right. Demon should give comments (51" owner)
    6) Only if direct sunlight or the room is very brightly lit. To get better picture the curtains will probably have to be half-drawn.

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    everything Nathan said....

My only comment would be on your experience in Curry's...

I suspect that when comparing the 32/36 CRT's to the RPTV you no doubt went up very close to the sets to compare 'focus'... and its true, RPTV's will look soft/slightly out of focus if you do this... but don't panic.... if you step back 6-8 feet this will look in perfect focus.. or it should... and have no shadows etc, in fact arguably most people would say the RPTV picture is better then any normal direct view CRT....

If you were hyper critical, then you might notice the focus is very very slightly out on a screen full of text in the corners, but is not noticeably at all in a film... and considering the actual picture in films can be absolutely stunning, this pales into insignificance...

Other then that I agree with Nathan..

As for my experience, well I was unfortuante to get a set that wasn't as well focused as my Brothers.. which I have sorted myself.. but just look on these forums and see the amount of people that have returned there 32/36" sets, time and time again, with the comments "The replacement set was worse then the one I sent bacK".. it is a slight lottery, but then if you arenot happy you ask for a replacement, or get an engineer to 'sort' it.. in the case of RPTV everything is 'sortable'... with a direct view CRT it isn't.. so if geometry is bad or convergence, you are stuck with it!!...

I could never go back to a direct view CRT... and that seems to be the view of 90% of RPTV owners...

It can take a little while to get used to the larger picture, and the fact you can now see any imperfections in the source material, but if you just watch the set, and don't stick your nose to the screen, then all will be well.....

As for daytime viewing.. well RPTV's are better then CRT in my view, they are brighter and have no screen reflections on the Toshiba models.. CRT's can look a bit dim, and you see loads of reflections in the glass...

Of course a decent demo would put your mind at ease....

5. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thank you both for your comments.

You have largely put my mind at rest - but I suspect that is because I want to be converted.

Demon. How far do you sit from your rp? Are you happy with the distance to size? I notice Nathan is 6' from a 42". I am about 15' away - so perhaps the 51" will not be big enough.

Andy

6. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    MY room is 15'6 long, with the TV in a small 'bay' at one end of the room, you can sit right at the other end of the room and its more then ample... the sofa is down one side wall, so the closest point is about 8 feet, the furthest 12 feet, and no matter where on the sofa its a good picture... when I watch a Film, I move the sofa accross the room approx 11 feet away from the TV...

I had a 29" 4:3 sony while the 51 was being delivered.. and in comparison this looked like a 14" portable...

It all depends on what you want.. if no one sits closer the 9-12 feet then you could get away with a 57" no doubt....

I can sit on the patio, with the patio doors open, and the front room/dining room doors open, and comfortably watch TV from their!!! and thats about 30 feet away.. and easily read the text when watching formula 1, etc...

Obviously with the 57 then sitting less then 8 feet away will no doubt make any imperfections stand out... and you may start to notice the corners are darker then the middle of the screen at this distance.. as you move further back then the brightness is uniform and the artefacts disappear...

I would mock up the Screen Size from some cardboard boxes!!! allowing a couple of inches for the screen surround, then get someone to hold it where the TV will be.. then I am sure you will get an idea if this is going to be the right size for you!!!

7. eamann

eamann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am searching for a RP.

Today I demoed a Thomson 52 JW 630S and I was very, very favourably impressed! The image was bright and colourful and quite sharp - (but not as sharp as a nearby plasma). I appreciated too the fact that there is no "angle of vision" problem and the image is bright whether you are directly in front of the set or several metres to the side.

As regards the shadows and the dimness you experienced, I suggest that you squat down on your knees so that your eyes are about 100cm or 110 from the floor. At that height you will find that the screens become bright and clear.

According to the shop where I examined the Thomson, it has been selected as "best buy" by a German magazine, but I cannot say just how significant that is.

The Toshiba 51 WH 36 will only become available in Belgium later in October and I am looking forward eagerly to seeing it.

8. eamann

eamann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry! The reference for the Thomson is 52 JW 640S (not 630).

9. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies - I guess I should go for the 57" - but the missus has put her foot down.

One final question. As it doesn't appear John Lewis stocks these sets I obviously can't price match and receive their 5 year warranty. Are rp sets generally reliable once set up? Is it worth looking into 'adding warranty' (something i hate doing)

Cheers

Andy