RP Contrast

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by DaveMc, Mar 20, 2006.

1. DaveMc

DaveMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a 50" Screen, and the first thought I had was RP was the way to go...

So after much reading on this forum I opted for the Samsung SP50L7HX. :smashin:

I ventured up to Comet and Dixons to get a look, and was a bit dissapointed in the Picture compared with the Plasmas and LCDs on display. :(

Q. The image seems very faded to me, with blacks being very washed out. Is this just because I'm viewing in a bright store and they work much better in a dimmed room? or is this just the type of image you get from an RP?.

Its starting to make me think more about getting a plasma, however I don't like the things I'm hearing about image retention and chances of screen burn. :eek: plus it's gonna push the cost up a lot.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)
    Dave.

2. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's more down the fact that they never set up the Samsung properly in store, and they whack up the brightness and contrast on all of the plasma/lcd in order to try to make them stand out.
    I've no problems at all with the brightness or contrast on my set.

3. Tonywrj

Tonywrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't answer for the Samsung, but the RP Sagem's have excellent contrast and good blacks in any room lighting conditions.

Tony

4. nevtra

nevtra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You just cant judge a screen in any of the high street chains, unless you find a store that is willing to swap around feeds and let u mess withthe set. this is almost impossible, these forums are an excellent source of user opinion so just rake through them and you'll have your answer.
    According to users the 50" samsung has a fantastic picture. Other than that i can tell u with confidence and from experience that the sagems are just fantastic on any source (with the exception of my local currys two bob ariel thats shared with 60 other sets)

5. DaveMc

DaveMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses :smashin:

I would say that I did actually trawl through the threads before I even viewed the RPs in the shops, which is way I was so dissapointed when the contrast seemed so poor. The contrast issue seemed apparent on all the RP sets I viewed.

I getting the feeling I might just trust that the these sets can produce great pictures and jump in with both feet :D

Atm I'm veering towards the Sagem 50", since I think I'd perfer not to have the big center stand then Samsung is on. Plus at 1400 quid its more than half the price of the Plasma I would have wanted (Pioneer 506XDE - was thinking 436XDE but her indoors says it was too small :thumbsup: )

Would leave me some cash for extras. My DVD player needs replaced, and my Surround Sound is on the blink :rolleyes:

6. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    It's got to do with the lighting. In Currys it is very bright, when you get it home its perfect. You easily get tempted to LCD/Plasma as they are a lot brighter.

7. Kidwhizz

Kidwhizz
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Samsung SP50L7HX has the HD2+ chipset and therefore has the same contrast as the Sagem HD-D50H G4 T - on a par with most plasmas. The features advantage is with the Sagem as it has 2 x HDMI ports, integrated Freeview DVB-T and a photocard reader for viewing holiday snaps! The LG and other Samsung models have the HD3 chipset and therefore only half the contrast ratio.

8. DaveMc

DaveMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes ashmufc, they certainly looked tempting. Her indoors was drooling over the LG 50" 4XPD which had an HD demo running.

Well, today might be buy day, although the build quality threads on the new sagem are a little worrying, but as long as it looks great and doesn't fall completely to bits I'll be happy.

9. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    I really like hte Samsung, its very stylish and pretty thin compared to other RPTV.

10. DaveMc

DaveMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the samsung looks great, although I think the Sagem is actually thinner (Samsung is V shaped at the back though which makes it look thinner).

The Samsung looks pretty high on that stand, makes me wonder what it would look like from a sofa since I would be looking up at it. Hard to test these things in the shop. Presumably its setup to take account of that, or I just think its taller than it actually is.

11. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    It was the height of the pedestal that stopped me getting one of these.

12. DaveMc

DaveMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One Sagem 50" + stand ordered from avwow :thumbsup:

Delivery set for Friday AM.

Was told that they now check the sets over prior to shipping in order to prevent people getting a Hummer!

Bring on the big screen entertainment!! :smashin:

I suppose a new DVD player is next on the cards...unless I can play it through my PCs wireless network.

13. khanman

khanman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that is correct they do check all Sagems prior to despatch for humming. My Sagem 50" which I had delivered last friday was also checked and I was told that the tv was exceptionally quiet when being examined at AV Wow however I can clearly hear the humming noise even when the volume settings are at 35.

Don't let this detract however from what is a great TV for the money. The picture quality is fantastic on sky and DVD through HDMI and the humming noise is something that you get used to. I am however awaiting a visit by the Sagem engineer to determine if the humming noise is within limits.

I hope you are pleased with your new set...

14. derek1971

derek1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    You won't regret it - i pondered over various DLP sets for about a year before going for the 50" Sagem in January. It is superb on all sources i have tried (Sky +, PS2 and DVD with progressive scan via component) I haven't tried the built in freeview but from what i've read on here it seems pretty good too.
    I was a bit worried about the PQ for football/rugby etc on Sky from some reports i had seen but i can honestly say the PQ is fantastic.

Enjoy

15. DaveMc

DaveMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like I might have to have some some rubber feet on standby....we shall see.

Roll on Friday, although all this info on how great the picture is makes me wish it was here already!!!

OT, to spoil my good mood for today, some bugger ran into the back of my car on the motorway on the way home from work.. :( On the bright side it'll keep my mind off my new telle!

16. Whitley Bob

Whitley Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I know it's a bit late but I thought I'd add my views on this.
    I find most displays of tv's you come across in the larger chains are displayed at floor height or on a low plinth, while the customers wander up and down the aisles looking down at them. This works fine for crt, lcd, and plasma sets but not for dlp. The viewing angle of dlps is fine from side to side but they are not very flexible in the verticle plane. When I first saw my Optoma rd65 I wasn't too impressed until the storekeeper provided a chair for me, then it was like someone had just turned up the picture. Obviously they knew the score with dlp sets but I haven't seen this in the big stores. dlp sets don't have a chance of showing themselves at their best in store against other types of tv the way they are currently displayed. Now I have it set up at home it's great, as long as you're seated. stand up and the picture appears to dim. The only person I have heard give a valid complaint about this shortfall said they liked to stand ironing in front of the telly. I'm ok with wrinkles.:)