Royole Moon AV Headset Review & Comments

Discussion in 'VR Virtual Reality Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,728
      • Like Like x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,456
    3. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,073
      It sounds like a technically very good device. When @Steve Withers discusses limited use-cases, if I was spending a great deal of time away from home, living out of hotel rooms in the evening, away from decent AV quality, I would be all over this. My max is 2-3 days every couple months these days, so not enough value at the current price, but others may differ.

4. RXP

RXP

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +45
      What's the screen door effect like on this?

I purchased the Sony Headmounted Display years ago - but the pixelated image really ruined the experience. I was hoping 4k phone screens would be coming and we'd have screen door free headsets but alas not

Some calculations:

800m sounds like a huge gigantic screen right? That's stated at 20m viewing distance. So that's a 48 degree viewing angle.

To put that into perspective if you use a 10.5 inch tablet at place it at 7 inches you have a 65 degree viewing angle. Or from 20m back a virtual 1150 inch screen.

7 inches is my limit before binocular vision means I can't focus.

A Samsung Galaxy Book/Galaxy Tabpro S is ideal for this - OLED screen and higher resolution so the pixels will blend together better.

I use an articulating arm to attach it to a chair when I'm travelling for a virtual cinema. I get the same level of immersion as sitting 1.1m away from my 65" c8 OLED. Combine that with Windows Sonic/Dolby Atmos/DTS Headphone X on Windows you get virtual 7 channel cinema.

I was really excited for this, but that viewing angle is just too small. It's the equivalent of having my tablet mounted on top of the airplane screen with Tablet Hooks.

The headset does have the advantage of cross talk free 3D and total immersion due to the mask. I guess you could put a towel over your head with the tablet :D The small viewing angle also means screen door is unlikely to be an issue. 3D is limited by it only supporting Side by Side though - so you loose half the resolution anyway.

If my C8 ever breaks and I can't fix it - i'll be sure to pick one of these up!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    5. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,728
      There's none, it's easily the best image I have seen from one of these headsets.

6. RXP

RXP

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +45
      Sounds about right - 1080p with a 45 degree viewing angle should look clear

The Samsung HMD Odyssey looks to be an ideal head mounted display for movies but unfortunately it's not available in the UK. Dual 3.5" AMOLED (1440x1600 dots) and 110 degree viewing angle with spatial sound etc.

7. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,154
      Thanks for a good review.

If you don't mind me pointing out, there are just a couple of concepts you have wrong in the review. First of all having two seperate displays for each eye is no different to VR. Yes, most VR headsets have one display (be it a smartphone or built in display), but the displays are split in half, one half for each eye. That is no different to having two separate displays and thus, 3D films in Virtual Cinemas on VR headsets are also devoid of crosstalk. In fact, I have been championing VR virtual 3D cinema for a couple of years now on the forum for that very reason as well as the added fact, that VR Virtual 3D Cinema suffers none of the reduction in dynamic range and brightness that "physical" 3D suffers from.

The advantage of having the two separate displays in Royole is that it makes it far more easier to adjust the IPD (inter pupil distance) whilst retaining the FOV and not losing any screen estate in the centre that using one display usually does. And of course it helps in doubling a 1080p resolution.

The other little flaw in your review is that you say gaming is not recommended because you cannot see your controller. I beg to differ! We do not need to see our game controller. You are think of VR gaming when you mention looking down at your hands in the virtual world, think you mixed yourself up there. I play normal PS4 games regularly through my PSVR headset (on a virtual big screen), and as a gamer, we know where the buttons and triggers are. So plugging this Royole Moon device into a games console, playing games on a virtual big screen makes for a great experience in its own right (driving games in particular, being amazingly immersive).

Good points I see about having this device:

1. until now, PSVR was the only VR headset that is able to play Blu Ray discs directly without having to rip movies into a compressed file format. Royole now adds to that option. However, Royole forces user to use built in headphones, whereas PSVR can use the home theatre speakers or headphones. PSVR gives you an option to either isolate yourself or share your entertainment with family, on the TV. Royole isolates you permanently. I personally have taken advantage this benefit on PSVR avoiding wars with my family when they want to see Strictly Dancing and I can Isolate myself in the same room with a game, Netflix, or blu ray, everyone happy :) And then of course watch a move with them, laugh or be scared with them as they see what I see and hear their reactions.

2. In terms of Screen Door Effect which @RXP enquires about above, you have missed the most important breakthrough about this headset. The screens are claimed to pack in a phenomenal 3000 pixels per inch. This knocks even Sony's Xperia 4K Z5 premium phone of 806 ppi (which I proudly own and have enjoyed using as a Virtual Cinema through my Google compatible headsets). However, this must mean the screens are considerably smaller and I wonder what that means for its FOV ??? As I note you say the screen doesnt quite look as large. This is probably another reason why its two separate displays....because the displays must be quite small. So an uncertainty there, but one thing is for sure, that level of density would surely reduce screen door effect to at least a minimal level as my Sony's 806 ppi 4k phone does.

Just a note for those concerned about screen door effect. It is not dependant on Resolution. No No No, a huge misconception.

Screen door effect is actually not just dependant on Pixels per Inch either but rather SUB PIXELS per inch (quality of lens can factor in but in a minor way). Basically, Screen Door Effect is the effect off seeing the Spaces between not just pixels but the spaces between SUB PIXELS. (so hence, like watching movies through a mesh, we want that mesh to be as fine as possible). Go right up to your TV or phone and you can see that mesh. Its not about the pixels. Its the space between them, and more specifically for VR magnification purposes, the spaces between Sub pixels.

There are two main types of displays. RGB (3 sub pixels per pixel arrangement) and Pentile (2 sup pixels per pixel). Higher the sub pixel density the better of course. Generally bar one exception, AMOLED have Pentile (2 sub pixel arrangements) and LCD displays have RGB (3 subpixel) arrangement.

Sony has brilliantly demonstrated this with their PSVR which is the only device in the world that has a 1080p OLED panel with a 3 subpixel matrix (RGB) as opposed to every other HD OLED panel that has a 2 sub pixel arrangement (Pentile) making Sony's 1080p device having significantly less SDE than Oculus Rift and Vive despite their display having higher resolution display panels because Sony PSVR has the higher SUB-pixel density.

So with Royole Moon claiming 3000 ppi 2 X 1080p AMOLED (guessing 2 sub pixel arrangement), I expect it to be equal to Sony's Xperia ZX5 Premium 4k RGB 3 subpixel arrangement) in terms of level of SDE. So I believe it when Steve says its the most clear image he has seen on a headset!

Ultimately, I am not sure if this device is really be worth the premium given that we have actually had as good available in terms of functionality and display quality (arguably) for the last couple of years via smartphone VR combined with your favourite headphone or bluetooth connection to your home theatre amp/receiver at literally a fraction of the cost (£20 ish for a good comfortable headset) if not counting the cost of your own smartphone and headphones. And also the PSVR.

As I said, I have been championing virtual cinema for the last couple of years on this forum, regularly enjoying my 3D and non 3d movies on a big virtual cinema screen with adjustable screen sizes, on both mobile VR and on my PSVR which is the only virtual cinema device that plays blu ray disks directly without having to waste time ripping blu ray disks into a compressed file.

Before I had the PSVR, I had been enjoying similar big screen entertainment via my Sony Xperia ZX5 Premium which two years ago was the only phone in the world that sported a 4k display. Today, Sony, has since released two more 4K display phones now with HDR too but that last one, is still yet to be released in UK. Being a 4k phone is enough to make one's mouth watery when considering SDE. But its not just the 4K resolution that makes this amazing for watching virtual cinema, its also an RGB display (ie a 3 sub pixel matrix). So literally, watching movies on this phone through a £20 google cardboard VR headset, is phenomenal, hardly any SDE is noticeable. There are apps on the playstore which emulates being in an actual cinema with reflective lighting on seats from the film on the screen and options to sit on any row. I use CMOAR Virtual Cinema app but there are others.

If you have an OLED display phone, then they will have Pentile matrix (2 sub pixel arrangement) and are never ideal for watching Virtual cinema because the SDE is just too much even with Samsung Galaxy's 1440p/1880p displays. But if you have an LCD smartphone, especially with 1440p or 4k displays (Lg G3/4/5, Sony Xperia ZX5 Premium, XZ premium, XZ2 premium etc) then you will be rocking as LCD displays have an RGB (3 sub pixel) arrangement, reducing SDE considerably. Just buy a decent google cardboard compatible headset which I recommend some on other threads, having bought a few different ones, some bad, some good.

Glad to see Steve mentioning one important bonus of Virtual cinema. 3D. Oh man, 3D movies truly is amazing on any VR headset and better than any TV, Projector, or Cinema experience. He is absolutely right, about there being no crosstalk. Furthermore, you have full dynamic range of colours and brightness that we are sorely robbed of with TV, cinema and home projector 3D. I have always hated 3D in Cinema and always tried to steer clear of it if I had a choice which was often slim until recently! I also has an active 3D TV and it the gave me dreadful headaches. It was only when I bought a Panasonic Passive 3D TV that I appreciated 3D potential so much more but it still suffered reduction dynamic range. But in VR, that all changed. I became a convert (while the rest of the world abandoned it...aaarghh!). Throw in Jurassic Park 3D blu ray and its like discovering a new great Spielberg film all over again. 3D is awesome...at least when its done well.

If I didnt have an LCD high pixel density phone or PSVR, I would have seriously consider this Royole Headset and not just as a gimmick but as a regular big screen experience for my PS4 gaming, Netflix and Blu ray watching.

Heck, I might even still consider it even though I currently enjoy similar experiences regularly but that 3000 ppi (regardless if pentile or RGB) beats my PSVR display, and its OLED image quality beats my Xperia Z5, also its connectivity to any console (I have an Xbox console too). But I would only buy if the costs drop to around £400-500. ALthough I think its current price is very justified given its potentially pioneering screen display

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    8. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,728
      I don't think I said that having two separate displays, one for each eye, was different from VR in the sense that headsets like the PSVR or Oculus Rift also use separate displays for each eye. When I say it's different from VR I'm referring to the experience of being immersed in a VR world, as opposed to simply using a VR headset to watch movies or play normal games.

Fair enough about the more experienced gamer not needing to look at their controller but personally I found being completely cut off from the outside world made using a game controller or particularly a normal remote control very difficult.

9. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +491
      £850 to keep the kids amused on long car journeys? £1,700 in fact as I have two of the little darlings.
      Think i'll stick with the budget DVD players I got from Aldi and the cheapo JVC Kid's headphones from Amazon, thanks very much.

10. RXP

RXP

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +45
      Great info TheyCallMeTJ! I did the viewing angle calcs above - it's only 48 degrees.

11. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,285
      I cannot imagine what it would be like with one headset and two children - WW3 in a car.

12. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,766
      This sounds amazing and also completely pointless at the same time. I'd like to give it a go, but like VR - I imagine the novelty will wear off quickly.

13. bongo123

bongo123

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +41
      sounds good but no way would i want to be completely isolated from the world like that, heck when i play my PSVR in the evenings when everyones in bed (id feel like a prat sitting there in the living room on it whilst everyone watches the tv) i always use 1 headphone in the ear so my other ear can hear around me should one of the kids get up and come down or the wife calls down, its a bummer as i have the Sony gold headphones and its so much more immersive having those on but its that cut off from the world that i dont like. I really wish there was a set of headphones or a Rev2 of the headset with built in microphones to pick up ambient sounds around you, then and only then would i fully enclose myself into the virtual world.

14. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,154
      Hey @bongo123 , did you know the PSVR has a special outside sound pickup feature? it's called Sidetone which uses the psvr microphone.

Goto Settings->audio devices->Sidetone and adjust level.

Now you can enjoy your PSVR to the full on your Sony headphones and not miss any action from your family movements or calls. I tested it myself and is very effective but I tend to use my home theatre speakers

15. bongo123

bongo123

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +41

Excellent stuff chap! ill check that out

16. kingkarl

kingkarl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,366
      Where can you get these from in the UK ?
      Also what was the upgraded face mask part that was replaced from the 2016 model ?
      Cheers

17. Grazina31

Grazina31

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      I really liked your review and been thinking Bout buying something like this. I’m more inclined about the Goovis G2 but this one one comes with the headphones so that is a big plus. The one thing that put me off and is actually my question is: how is the 3D compability? Were you able to just connect a 3D blu-ray player and play 3D blu-ray without any issue?
      The specs on the website only mention side by side and anaglyph, and even your review mentions you have to select 3D in a switch. Can you clarify this part?
      Thank you

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    18. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,728
      I know what you mean, the website is rather confusing, but yes you can simply connect a 3D Blu-ray player and watch 3D Blu-rays. You don't have to select 3D, the headset will do that automatically but there is a button for switching between 2D and 3D if you wanted to for some reason.

19. Grazina31

Grazina31

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      Thank you for confirming it. I have allot of import 3D blu-ray that are Zone A locked and the ps4 won’t play them. Not to talk that I’m not impressed by ps vr 3D capability with 3D movies. 1080p per eye sounds outstanding.
      I would assume the button is to activate side by side material, like an mkv. No idea how anaglyph material is supose to work.
      Wondering why a physical button for that, when a simple menu option like in 3D tv for that would have been less of a hassle do implement.

20. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,728
      Nor have I.

21. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,154
      Perhaps that 2D/3D button is used for converting 2D to 3D like many 3DTVs do? Also on my TV, some video 3D file formats are undetectable, so have to force TV to show in 3D sometimes. My TV has a 3D button on the remote and when pressed converts normal 2D to 3D...not that I recommend using it! Get funky results doing that, like people's hair or limbs looking like they are about to fall off!

22. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +744
      If the user moves their head can the headset keep a virtual screen fixed in space - like the virtual cinema on an Oculus - ? I find this is necessary when I use headsets to play games. The Sony HMZ and DJI goggles were fun, but I couldn't use them for gaming.

23. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,154
      Very good point because on the PSVR, it has both modes. one is where the screen moves with the movement of your head and the other mode is where the screen is fixed in the space and you can look around the screen corners freely as you would do at a cinema. The former mode is excruciating as I occasionally try to focus on the sides of screen by moving my head slightly as one does at a cinema but I can't because the flipping screen follows your head movement. But in the latter mode, it's far more natural as I can move my gaze around the screen freely.

So yes it's essential for the screen to be fixed in the virtual space. Interested to hear what Steve's answer would be. I'd be surprised if the screen is not fixed in vr space. Having said that, giving the 50deg FOV of this headset compared to 100-110deg FOV of most VR headsets, maybe it's a different experience if the screen is not fixed.

24. john deen

john deen
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Amazing design

25. kingkarl

kingkarl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,366
      Just snagged one of these on the bay for £267 next day delivery .... only used a couple of times fully boxed.
      Think that is a proper bargain @Steve Withers

26. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,154
      Great bargain! What do you think of it? How is the FOV? Do you prefer the clarity of this, over the cinematic scope of your PSVR?

27. kingkarl

kingkarl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,366
      Will let you know when I get it pal .... only just got it won this morning lol.

28. kingkarl

kingkarl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,366
      According to Steve's review it sounds superb and well worth the £267 .... these cost well over £700 new in 2018.
      Still can't believe I got it for this price !

29. kingkarl

kingkarl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,366
      Well chaps and chap asses let me tell you about my MOON lol !
      This device is bloody incredible the sharpness and detail in the picture is mind blowing to say the least.
      Tried 3D blu ray of Avatar and it is just bloody incredible infact bloody jaw dropping 3D performance with zero crosstalk anywhere.
      I got a bloody good deal for £255 + £12 postage the other day on the bay as an unwanted gift !!!
      Best £250 I have spent for a long long time !!
      JUST TRY ONE folks !!
      Especially when using it with the XBox One X and playing games on the giant screen there are no words.

30. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,201
      Must say I am tempted at that sort of price.