1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Tenenbaums

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by mcmullanbrush, Jun 30, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great film, maybe not to everyones taste but at only 12.99 for the 2 disc Criterion edition you can afford to try it out.

It also sits next to Wes Andersons first film Rushmore on my shelf (alphabetically). Coincidence or what:confused:

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mac,

Glad you posted that. I just ordered Rushmore R4 from ezydvd.com.au and thought I'd see if I liked that before buying Royal Tenenbaums from cd-wow.com. From the synopses I've read of these movies, they sound right up my street :)

One thing I'm curious about - do you have the R2 of Rushmore? If so, is it anamorphic? Originally, I ordered Rushmore R2 from the HMV sale, but then I cancelled it because I kept finding conflicting info about it on the web. Some sites said Rushmore R2 was letterbox, others said it was anamorphic. The R4 is definitely anamorphic and has worked out about the same price, so it's not a big deal, but I'm curious. Cheers :)

3. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squirrel

I just checked and it is region 2 and is anamorphic, although it doesnt say it on the case.

When I first watched Rushmore I liked it but wasnt sure why, when I saw it for the second and third time I thought it was brilliant.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mac - looks like I could've left my order with HMV and got it quicker! Oh well!

I think we have some overlapping tastes so I hope I will enjoy Rushmore too :) Will let you know ;)

BTW, found this website very helpful as a jumping off point for trawling through disk specs, finding out about censored disks, etc (also has a list of R2 suppliers)

http://www.btinternet.com/~eb3/dvd.htm

5. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too Squirrel, but I have to declare my hatred for Musicals and my indifference to Lynch and I loved Amistad;)
    Apart from that we should be okay:p

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget Unbreakable as well! :rolleyes:

I hate musicals too, apart from the odd one like Little Shop of Horrors and Dennis Potter stuff ;)

7. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry mate

I was sure you had said you loved Musicals. Well thats a relief, there is nothing more bizarre then people bursting into song at random.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched this tonight and enjoyed it. Some funny bits in it (especially one particular bit with Danny Glover ;)). Not sure if I prefered it to Rushmore or not... Will have to check out Bottle Rocket at some point as well. Have you seen that Mac? Is it any good?

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bottle rocket is in my opinion, the funniest film ever made. Rumours of a criterion release to replace the present release too.

10. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    going back to what the thread was started about, Is the royal tenenbaums as funny as some of the other ben stiller stuff.

I have noticed Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson work brilliantly with each other, they play off each other incredibly well in Zoolander, and in meet the parents they just cracked me up. Is there any of this on screen team work visable in the Royal Tenenbaums

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a black comedy so if you're looking for a lot of laughs, look elsewhere IMO.

You're right about Meet The Parents though - I thought it was hilarious :D Haven't seen Zoolander yet. You might also want to try Mystery Men with Ben Stiller, if you haven't seen it already - I thought it was very funny.

BTW, nice name Eli ;) The R1 of Bottle Rocket is still quite expensive at the moment, so I think I might just wait for that Criterion release :)

12. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I've just started to watch meet the parents and I have noted that the film credits start with "A nancy tenenbaum film" is this some wierd co-incendence or is it the same with the royal tenenbaums?

13. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squirrel

I hadnt even heard of Bottle Rocket:confused:
    I will look out for it.

Shoka

I agree with Squirrel about Tenenbaums. It isnt really a "Ben Stiller film" but he is good in it. I think he is a good actor

14. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bottle Rocket was Wes Andersons first film. I havn't seen it or read that much about it (really must get round to that), although a guy I used to work with of mine swore it was the best film he'd seen (he pointed me in the direction of Rushmore)

The R2 Rushmore is just the film and according to a review I read at the time is not very good on the Picture or sound quality side.

I have the Criterion of Rushmore and its well worth whatever you have to pay for it (within reason of course). The 'Max Fisher players' sketches athe the MTV awards and the footage of the screen tests are superb.

I am with 'mcmillanbrish' on this. The first viewing of Rushmore was good but unexplainable why, but the film just gets better and better with viewing.

The Royal tennenbaums got me straight away. I only put it on to check that the disks were OK as it was just after midnight. I was hooked as soon as the narration started. Watched the lot, got to bed about 2am and had to be up at 5:30 to get into work on time.

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the R4 of Rushmore, which I got from ezydvd.com.au for about £9 delivered. Picture and sound quality are great on that. :)

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to remember that none of Wes Anderson's are black comedies played only for laughs, but Owen Cunningham Wilson is just the funniest person on the planet, he just kills me.

"Did you just say something? - Oh, I'm sorry i'm on mescaline, I've been spaced out all day"

BTW, the bottle rocket criterion is just a rumour...

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Owen Wilson was hilarious in Behind Enemy Lines :p

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oscar nominated for best running.

Here's a tatser of Bottle Rocket. Fact: all true film fans must see this film.

Anthony has just met his 7 year old sister at school after returning from a period in a voluntary recovery retreat.

Dignan: Little kids are really cute. She is a cute little kid.

Anthony gets out of car

Anthony: I don't know what happened. I just have no idea. I mean, how did Grace get so cynical? Where does it come from? Where does it come from?...

Dignan: ...Look I can't answer that question right now. All I'm concerned about is getting you back in the car, man...

Anthony: ...she comes to this conclusion about me, at this point...

Dignan: ...Let's get back in the car where we, you can settle down...

Anthony: ...She thinks I'm a failure...

Dignan: ...What!? She said you're a failure? What has she ever accomplished with her life that's so great, man. Nothing! Nothing! Wait you don't have to do anything, man...