Royal mail want proof of value - what should I send?

Reaction score
Hi,

looking for a bit of advice from somebody who has gone through this before. i sold a game, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, on this very forum 14/08/07. It was posted first class 15/08/07. It has not arrived. So, Royal mails says i should wait 15 days then make a claim as lost.

I have refunded the buyer, not their fault, and will now embark on trying to get my money back! when i try to register it lost online, it says i should wait 15 days (which i have so im a little confused) so i will send in a downloaded claim form.

But they ask for proof of value - what should I send? a printout of the forum page perhaps, or a store online selling the same game? the paypal payment maybe?

Thanks in advance guys,

Jason

anything really that relates to the value of it,like an ad,in a paper,online price,etc.
as long as its printed out on paper,and/or official,and not hand written by you :D and they can verify it,then that should be fine.
but chances are they will try to squirm a bit,stating that items of value,should be send special delivery,or at least recorded.
had a similar one to you,and got that reply,claim disallowed.
had one like that also,with recorded delivery,with a document inside,and they said the same thing.
so really,first class,and recorded were pointless,for comebacks,then,as they offer no recompense,and are worthless in the claim situation.
the chap on the phone sort of went,"mmm,well,yes,special delivery is insured,you know".

Jason,

You'll be glad to hear that items sent by ordinary Royal Mail First Class post, are insured upto the value of £34 IF you have a Proof Of Posting certificate, when you sent the item. See here. But, you may be able to get arund that, because it could be argued that Royal Mail has a Duty Of Care to make sure your parcel/package is delivered safely to the person you sent it too, and that - in this case - they failed. Hence, you could threaten to take them to the Small Claims Court, which might make them buck-up their ideas a little! Just amass as much proof as possible (which post-office you visited, what day and time, if you know which person or counter you were served at, etc) and then send Royal Mail the photocopies of all of your "evidence". (Retain the originals, for obvious reasons! ;) )

Good Luck! :)

Pooch

But they ask for proof of value - what should I send? a printout of the forum page perhaps, or a store online selling the same game?

I've done this twice (1st class post), I just print out a web page with the price on.
They have never questioned my claim in any way.
PC World or any of the big online stores is acceptable, forget what you sold it for, you claim the price of a replacement.

Thanks guys, I have proof of postage and have printed off the item on PCWORLD as proof of value - even though i cant claim for the full value they list as I'm only entitled to £34 compensation. once I can get to a photocopier, ill send it all off. I'll let you know how I get on :thumbsup:

So you get £34 compo, go to Game or Gamestation or whatever and buy a preowned copy for around £20, do the deal again and you're quids in. Where's the problem?

it could be argued that Royal Mail has a Duty Of Care to make sure your parcel/package is delivered safely to the person you sent it too, and that - in this case - they failed. Hence, you could threaten to take them to the Small Claims Court, which might make them buck-up their ideas a little!

Pooch don't you also have a duty of care to only post sensible advice.

Do you really think that the Royal Mail will quake in their boots at the prospect of being sued for a few pounds when they have already offered to pay compensation.

Is it also sensible to issue proceedings in the Small Claims Court when it will cost £30 with hardly any likelihood of winning the case

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom