royal mail claims - how long?

fizzgog

hi folks, in your experience, how long does royal mail take to sort out lost item claims?

i have sold an item on ebay which has not arrived and have put a claim in, however, the bidder is demanding instant reimbursment. do you think that i should refund him now or wait for the claim to complete?

thanx for your input.
pete

Conn

Novice Member
What would you want to have happen if the roles were reversed?

Pay now and pocket the claim when the PO pay out.

(btw, Fizzgog....not stalking you or anything, honest :D )

shay0

Distinguished Member
My current claim got sent in just over a week ago and I've heard nothing yet, its probably got lost in the post :D

As for paying the buyer back, put a discalimer on your listings. Something to say you're not responsible for PO losing stuff and if it goes missing you'll reimburse nothing until the PO have paid you. A bit late in this case, but good cover for next time.

pave

Banned
Might have a problem with a mars bar i sent.....:eek:

apart from it melting....:D

"info on the thanks button thread"...............

If your interested.......:rotfl:

Kazza72

Novice Member
I sold a hi-fi on e-bay but when it arrived at the buyers the box had obviously been dropped (several times) and the unit was dented, cd drawer wouldn't open etc. Buyer sent it back and I refunded him, I sent the claim off (it had been posted using Parcelforce 48) and heard nothing for about 6 weeks! Then I received it all back with a letter asking me to write the reference number on - which was included on the posting receipt. That was about 3 weeks ago. Then yesterday I got a letter from some repair company who are going to inspect the hi-fi on behalf of Parcelforce.

What a total shambles!! Am now waiting for the inspector to call to arrange a day to visit. Am not holding my breath - i'm sure they will say that parcelforce couldn't possibly have damaged the unit!

fizzgog

thanx for the advice guys. your all probably right, i will refund the guy and get the money back myself when royal mail cough up.

i will also put a disclaimer on future auctions.
cheers
pete

Kazman

Kazza72 said:
I sold a hi-fi on e-bay but when it arrived at the buyers the box had obviously been dropped (several times) and the unit was dented, cd drawer wouldn't open etc. Buyer sent it back and I refunded him, I sent the claim off (it had been posted using Parcelforce 48) and heard nothing for about 6 weeks! Then I received it all back with a letter asking me to write the reference number on - which was included on the posting receipt. That was about 3 weeks ago. Then yesterday I got a letter from some repair company who are going to inspect the hi-fi on behalf of Parcelforce.

What a total shambles!! Am now waiting for the inspector to call to arrange a day to visit. Am not holding my breath - i'm sure they will say that parcelforce couldn't possibly have damaged the unit!
Best thing to do is just go totally ballistic and threaten legal action. Speak to everyone at every level. Keep calling them every day and make sure you speak to the same person every day. Preferably a manager.

And in the future, it's better to use a proper courier service than Parcel Force for a large delicate package, they rarely treat the packages with any form of respect.

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Kazza72 said:

The problem you have is that you have had the item sent back.

It does state it their terms and conditions that if there is a problem and it needs to be inspected it needs to be at the original location as it would have had to be repackaged to get it back to you.

I will be very suprised if they pay you out.

Kazman said:
Best thing to do is just go totally ballistic and threaten legal action. Speak to everyone at every level. Keep calling them every day and make sure you speak to the same person every day. Preferably a manager.

And in the future, it's better to use a proper courier service than Parcel Force for a large delicate package, they rarely treat the packages with any form of respect.
Dont bother with that, it can take a couple of months. Mine has been resolved today and they have sent me a cheque. If you call them the automated line will tell you it can take a couple of months. Mine took about 6 weeks. I'm saying threatening them wont get you anywhere.