Royal Mail and Certificate Of Posting

GaryMo

When posting items with First Class delivery there used to be certificates of posting available (P326?) where you entered the recipients name and address then the clerk stamped the certificate. This would then be used in the event of a claim - up to 100 times the price of a first class stamp.

Are these now not available? My local Post Office says not and has never heard of them!
They just try to fob me off with a receipt which lacks the details of the recipient.
To me, all this proves is that the Post Office received some money off me. It doesn't state what service was offered and where any packages were delivered.
They try to direct to to a recorded service.

Does anybody else still get these from their local Post Office?

whiskyboozer

Some smaller ones may still have them. With the receipt the teller can put in the details of where the item is being sent to, otherwise fill it in yourself.

GaryMo

It's just a till receipt though.
If I enter the recipients details on the receipt myself then I'm not sure that would be valid in the event of a claim.

whiskyboozer

It's just a till receipt though.
If I enter the recipients details on the receipt myself then I'm not sure that would be valid in the event of a claim.

Yes it would be valid but if you are concerned ask the teller to do it and get them to sign it.

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
if you must ensure it gets their and is verified then use special delivery.

If you don't then your wide open to it being lost or the recipient not getting it.

With recorded delivery your only covered to £32 appartently but this is never given in the form of actual £ but stamps.

Liam

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Special Delivery is a little over the top for sending a DVD first class.

Proof of postage does seem to have changed as I used to receive the certificate you mention but now receive the till receipt and the cashier usually writes on the address to which you have posted.

Am I right in understanding that the items are insured up to £32 and if you get this in stamps you can walk into any post office and swap them for cash anyway?

nheather

Distinguished Member
In the last couple of months I have used Certificates of Posting twice - on each occasion I have got a Certificate of Posting card with the details written on and an official post office stamp.

It says that it can be used for 1st, 2nd or overseas mail.

However, it does make it clear that this is in support of a compensation claim and doesn't automatically mean that you will be compenstated.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Bob

Novice Member
With recorded delivery your only covered to £32 appartently but this is never given in the form of actual £ but stamps.

Liam

Is this a new thing then? I claimed for a DVD last year that I sent to a member that went AWOL.

Only sent recorded but got a cheque from Royal Mail when I put a claim in.

scsracing

My proof has any ways been the receipt with post code on it and house number.Used that to claim many times.:smashin:

Also when ever i claim i always get a cheque and not stamps.Although i am sure post offices do swap stamps for cash as stamps our a currency accepted i think:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom