• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Royal bloody mail postmen!

Westindieman

Prominent Member
I am sick to death of waiting in for a package then going downstairs to collect my mail and RM have left a card that I wasnt in. Its not possible for me to fail to hear my bell unless im blasting music. Arent these people accountable?

kav

Distinguished Member
My wife has actually caught the guy in the act a couple of times - she has opened the door just as he pushed the "Sorry you weren't in" card through - whereupon he sheepishly admits that he simply hadn't bothered his hole bringing the package with him for delivery. :suicide:

It was one of those things once it happened once or twice that we meant to make a complaint about, but never got around to.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Can imagine how that would be incredibly annoying and I would complain but on the flipside our postie is really good, friendly and they always hang around to try drop the package off or will leave it with the neighbour, they're not all bad.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Ours is a good postie too but I can see how you would be angry about this!!!

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Happens a lot. They don't even bother bringing the parcel out and just card you hoping you'll go and collect it yourself. This is the service you get with the ever increasing postal prices.

IronGiant

Both the postman and the courier rattled my letterbox rather than ringing the doorbell today :facepalm:

Fortunately I heard them both. Oh, and the doorbell does work :)

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Both the postman and the courier rattled my letterbox rather than ringing the doorbell today :facepalm:

Fortunately I heard them both. Oh, and the doorbell does work :)

I don't understand this whole spamming every possible means of knocking, some delivery drivers do that around here, our door knocker is probably loud enough for the whole village to hear, one City Link driver thinks it is necessary to bash this 5 or 6 times while holding down the door bell for the duration, it's just uncalled for, a quick blast of the bell and 2 knocks is all you need.

Thankfully our postie is great, never had any issues like the OP or others in here..

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
We got the whole side of our streets post the other day :confused:

Curly99

Distinguished Member
I was waiting for a signed for delivery and saw the postman, he posted a card through the letterbox so I went out and he said "check the date on the card, it's for yesterday"...well the day before to which he refered was a day I followed him down the street and collected the mail at my gate so I know for a fact he didn't try to deliver...we now have a different postman and although he doesn't deliver early I now don't have the same problems.

bym007

Banned
Postman at my old house used to do that a lot, "carding without a bell", and after I caught him with his pants down a couple of times :eek:, we became "good friends" and he was always great until I moved!

funkyspider

Prominent Member
Wait until the government privatise it, things will get a LOT worse.

Privatising it would be a logistical nightmare. Only royal mail can handle letters at the moment. If the service was privatised any company would be able to handle letters - how the hell would that work.

It's simple enough with parcels where you can arrange collection from your preferred company, but would you start seeing mailboxes belonging to each company springing up. I dont think it can happen.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I did not leave the house until 1:30pm-ish today. Found a note saying my parcel was left in the blue bin (paper recycling) as per past agreement. Well I remember going to Asda once because I had the midnight munchies but beyond that my memory is hazy...

I suppose I can put up with my postie's "initiative" if he remains consistent. I never put the recycling bins out anyway as my elderly neighbour seems to take it upon herself to be neighbourly on recycling days. Might have to have a word with her :laugh:

Ed Selley

Hi-Fi Editor
It was one of those things once it happened once or twice that we meant to make a complaint about, but never got around to.

We did- although about Parcelfarce rather than RM.

Whilst acting as the "quartermaster" (for want of a better word) of her local fencing club, my partner oversaw the ordering of numerous pieces of equipment. It quickly became clear that Parcelfarce would turn up without the item, try and drop the "you weren't in" card as quietly as possible and bugger off leaving us with a 33 mile round trip to collect the item. My partner then started waiting outside the house for the driver and on four straight occasions, the item simply wasn't on the van. On the fourth occasion we wrote a letter of complaint.

Parcelfarce's reply was a lesson in evasion. The general gist of the letter was that the boxes we had the audacity to ask them to deliver were a bit big and bulky to be actually put on the van and delivered to the house and we should be honoured they were transporting them to a mere 17 miles from the point of delivery. Furthermore, as they had the contract with the fencing company, frankly we could sod off and live with it.

As such we sent the correspondence on to the fencing company who looked at it in conjunction with some similar letters from other parts of the UK, fired Parcelfarce and switched to DHL who took the radical step of turning up with the item on the van, ringing the doorbell and handing the item to my partner I mean, can you imagine it?

I haven't had many problems with actual post but I confess that if I order something that might not fit through the letterbox, I simply have it delivered to work. I firmly believe that firing an item from a cannon in the general direction of the receiver is more effective than Parcelfarce.

kevshed

Established Member
My postie is pretty good - and i get more than average number of parcels and havent had a problem - I have discussed it with him though.

He said - that the issue is generally that package volume is increasing, due to ebay, amazon etc - and quite often the posties simply arent able to carry their full load of post - So the practice is to pre-write the cards whilst in the depot for any they cant carry. He said its institutional practice and was open in slamming it...

Depends a lot on your location, and the size of the guys round i think....

Best solution, as a few mentioned here - is to catch them in the act.... they dont like confrontation and remember who is paying close attention :)

Westindieman

Prominent Member
Fortunately I was able to collect it from the sorting office as they were open till 8 last night, and I assumed (despite the card saying 'please allow 24 hours before collecting) that I may be able to collect it if it never left there as I suspect. Dont know if I'll bother waste my time complaining.

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
What gets my back up is a bloody City Link driver who works my area, every day he has numerous deliveries for my neighbour but she is hardly ever at home, knowing this he knocks on about 5 other doors and asks the first person to answer to sign for her crap :thumbsdow

Steven

Senior Moderator
I don't think the City Link driver can be blamed if he knows the routine as after all if no neighbours signed for it then he would soon stop trying

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
I don't think the City Link driver can be blamed if he knows the routine as after all if no neighbours signed for it then he would soon stop trying

Maybe, although he is not quiet clever enough to realise that I never open the door so it's not worth trying mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom