Rowing machine recommendations

redbullmaster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking for a rowing machine for about £200ish, any ideas?

Thanks for any help

My budget is at the £200 mark, I'm not going to spend £800 on a rowing machine.

There is no substitute for the Concept 2, the cheaper machine are just hopeless. If you shop around you can get second hand Concept 2s for £3-400 and every single part is replaceable and available should anything be worn out.

You will not regret getting a concept 2, you will regret buying a cheaper, lesser machine.

concept 2 in United Kingdom | Fitness & Gym Equipment for Sale - Gumtree

The problem I have is I don't want to spend more than £200. The concepts that go for £3-400 are the b/c models which are 12-20 years old. I cant bring myself to spend that sort of money on machines of that age. Also they are big machines at 2 meters long, I live in a one bedroom flat and want something to fit behind the sofa. I want something to use at home as I hate going to the gym. I used to have a cross trainer which helped me to loss 4 stone, but was far to big to bring to my flat. Thought about a exercise bike, but thought a rowing machine would give me a more all over body workout.

How much do you weigh? I'm 110kg, bought a machine for around 150, was useless. Wouldn't take my weight, kept moving under me. Found a decent 2nd hand Model B concept 2, serviced it myself, still going strong 3 years later.

I think the saying here is you get what you pay for. A decent rowing machine will not come cheap. £200 will get you rubbish which you will be fed up with after a few uses. I would spend the money on a bike, £250 will get you an ok bike, and add in body weight squats, push ups etc.
check out you tube videos of dipping bar exercise. Can do many different exercises to hit all body parts and will not take up much space when not in use. You can pick these bars up for about £45. Another suggestion would be some resistance bands, again lots do exercises you can do with these and they take up no space at all.
I personally would not even thinking about buying a rowing machine for £200. Plus just doing rowing will potentially become boring pretty quickly for most people.

Thanks for the advise, maybe I need to change this to exercise bike for up to £200.:)

I'm in the same boat (figuratively speaking :)) and I've heard much the same about nabbing a used Concept 2. I saw they used to do interest-free credit if you buy direct but doesn't seem to be there at the mo unfortunately.

A bike doesn't come close to a rowing machine for overall fitness. Also, Concept 2s fold in half so storage isnt as bad as you would think.

If you row regularly you can compete into your 90s

I've got a concept 2 and I have to agree with everyone else, they are worth the money and better that you save up for one than buy cheap and waste the money you have now.

I rented mine for 6 months before buying it, mainly to make sure I would get on with it and use it enough to warrant purchasing. You see quite a few on the used market and I didn't want to be one of those people.

I would say your £200 is better spent on hiring one for 4 months. If you like it and use you will get 50% of your hire fees off the cost.

http://indoorsportservices.co.uk/hire/hire_buy_scheme_concept2

Or as others have said, save a little more and buy a used Concept 2. That way if you find you don't get on with it, you could probably sell it on again and not lose much if anything, as after a certain age they will hold their value if looked after. Spend £200 now on a cheap non-Concept and you will probably find you'd have to pay someone to take it away in 4 months time.

Just to update: I nabbed a hardly-used Concept 2 Model D2 (PM3) via ebay over the weekend for £500. A little more than I originally intended to spend but after doing some research it seemed like a bit of a bargain.

Just to update: I nabbed a hardly-used Concept 2 Model D2 (PM3) via ebay over the weekend for £500. A little more than I originally intended to spend but after doing some research it seemed like a bit of a bargain.
You know it makes sense!
I totally recommend The Pete Plan to get you started.

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

Keep it up and you will see huge improvements over the weeks.

It says 6 sessions per week but only lists 5 for each week. Am I missing something?

It says 6 sessions per week but only lists 5 for each week. Am I missing something?
Read the intro again carefully and let me know if it's still not clear. ;)

This is the beginner training, not the original "Pete Plan".

Oops, yep. That'll teach me to skim read and skip to the good stuff
Thanks

@richardb70

So what's the verdict two years on? Changed your life & in regular use, gathering dust in the garage or long since gone?

So what's the verdict two years on? Changed your life & in regular use, gathering dust in the garage or long since gone?

:) I use it 3 or 4 times a week, with the occasional extended break. I've rigged up a small smart telly and raspberry pi combo so I can watch stuff while I row from my server or Netflix, all with subtitles. A bluetooth transmitter and headphone combo from Amazon, plus the "comfy padded seat" from Concept. All good, and keeps me motivated (although hardly a purist approach).

Not following any exercise plan as such. I tend to stick with the tried and tested 5000m distance row preset, which I can usually do in 20 - 21 minutes. Warm up with the "just row", 500m or so. I don't have masses of time, have to get back from work, put the kids to bed etc.

We haven't had to replace any parts yet; maintenance has involved hoovering out the fan thing, and regular chain oiling. The kit is solid.

I've got a concept 2 and I have to agree with everyone else, they are worth the money and better that you save up for one than buy cheap and waste the money you have now.

I rented mine for 6 months before buying it, mainly to make sure I would get on with it and use it enough to warrant purchasing. You see quite a few on the used market and I didn't want to be one of those people.

I would say your £200 is better spent on hiring one for 4 months. If you like it and use you will get 50% of your hire fees off the cost.

Why Hire to Buy? - Hire - Indoor Sport Services

Or as others have said, save a little more and buy a used Concept 2. That way if you find you don't get on with it, you could probably sell it on again and not lose much if anything, as after a certain age they will hold their value if looked after. Spend £200 now on a cheap non-Concept and you will probably find you'd have to pay someone to take it away in 4 months time.

I found the admin fee £60 a complete rip off and didnt go with the rental agreement, which was a shame, but it is just greed.

Weight loss/muscle gain?

It keeps my weight down, I used to run (half marathons) but my knees are shot to pieces nowadays so that's in the past. A good 20 minute thrash on the rower and I feel like I've been through the ringer :).

Muscle gain, some shoulders and upper arms. I'm a string bean so difficult to buff up.

I found the admin fee £60 a complete rip off and didnt go with the rental agreement, which was a shame, but it is just greed.
I don’t remember an admin fee, I think I just lost 50% of the rentals which I was prepared to take the hit on, to save shag and hassle if I didn’t get use out of it.
If I was doing it all again I would just buy used and sell it on if I didn’t use it much.

It keeps my weight down, I used to run (half marathons) but my knees are shot to pieces nowadays so that's in the past. A good 20 minute thrash on the rower and I feel like I've been through the ringer :).

Muscle gain, some shoulders and upper arms. I'm a string bean so difficult to buff up.
Sounds perfect but with the same ailments + a metal knee with osteoporosis, HIT etc just not working.

I see you went 300 over budget makes me smile must be a bloke thing lol

Sounds perfect but with the same ailments + a metal knee with osteoporosis, HIT etc just not working.

I see you went 300 over budget makes me smile must be a bloke thing lol

Actually, it was the OP who had £200, I chimed in on their thread (but must admit, I had an initial figure of less than £500 in mind! Definitely a bloke thing... :))

I still miss running but rowing is a great secondary option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom