1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Routing VGA cable outside?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by starfire, Oct 15, 2004.

1. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi All,

I'm planning on ceiling mounting my Infocus X1 projector in our lounge (recently decorated, new carpet, coving).

It will link via VGA to my HTPC in an AV cabinet about 14ft away.

I was going to route the cable through between the ceiling and floorboard gap but unfortunately the joists run across the room, and I don't want to have to drill a hole in each one big enough to take the VGA connector!

So, another option would be to route the cable outside in conduit along the wall then back inside - cosmetically this will be fine as it will be hidden behind bushes BUT, is it OK to do this? will it withstand the winter temperatures etc., cause signal degradation?

Has anyone done this before or got any thoughts?

The other option I've been looking at is a VGA balun but at around £125 this seems a bit expensive.

Thanks,
    Simon.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    use cable that is not terminated then terminate or get done once cable is in far smaller holes to drill... Van Damme Red series mini coax is suitable IIRC

3. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Cheers for that,

I've just checked out the Van Damme Red Series Mini Video Multicore, but that will be about £100 for a 10m run.

I could take the DB15 terminators off a cable, but trying to resolder these will be impossible with my soldering skills - I've tried before! Especially perched up a ladder at the projector end!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    or cheat and have a cable with one end soldered on and then you just have one end to bodge..

5. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Guess I could cut one end off, leaving a good few inches of cable. Then simply resolder the two sets of wires together - much simpler than rewriring the DB15, but obviously I will loose shielding etc. at that point. Not sure how much of a 'hit' that may be on the signal quality.

If anyone has any other ideas pleas throw them in.. :)

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    starfire

Don't bother installing the projector on the ceiling - seriously if your not willing to spend £100 on a 10m VGA cable your wasting your time.

If you do go external you'll need to ensure the cable you use is rated for sub zero and try and ensure you get a decent waterproof seal on the conduit - you could have VanDamme manufacturer an HD15 to HD15 using Outside Broadcast Camera cable; though your looking at around £14 per meter (unterminated).

Best regards

Joe

7. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

Are you saying spending anything less than £100 on a 10m VGA cable will give poor results?

There seem to be a lot of people on here saying they get very good results with cables around £50 which I'm perfectly happy to spend. I will go more if necessary but like hi-fi, its the law of diminishing returns - I could spend 200% more for only a 10% increase

Or am I getting the wrong end of your stick :D

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    but have those with £50 cable or even a £10 cable seen there setup with £100+ cable??????? Also 10m is long for video i try to keep all cable runs to 5m max..........

9. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You'd have to ask them :)

I'd be pretty annoyed if I got a 10m cable for £100, then compared it with one at £50 and noticed no difference - its a pity you can't try these things beforehand and send 'em back if not happy, but thats not generally possible in this country.

Remember the projector is only £570 so not exactly leading edge :D

I've found out it should be OK to go through the joists (to take a VGA connector) if done correctly.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello starfire

Yes and No - a decent quality 10m cable that's not going to introduce artefacts to your set up is not going to be cheap; and if your not handy with a soldering iron or crimp tool your wasting your time contemplating DIY.

Better to find someone local that could come in and 'assemble' a couple of HD15 connectors on site (once you've installed the required Multicore cable).

Your 'installation' is the problem - as you say given a different cable route you may well find a lower cost cable fits the bill; but your unlikely to find a lower cost cable with 'clam' shell' HD15 (VGA) hoods on; these allow you to order a pre made cable which you can dismantle to pass the cable plus 'hoodless' connector through smaller holes in your timber and then simply reassemble the HD15 hoods once the cables in place.

Lots of options but you have to decide which cable 'route' to take and how much your willing to spend.

Best regards

Joe

PS If you talk to the right cable supplier you will find the 'exotic' cables can be supplied on a Sale or Return basis :)

11. embee

embee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where's that from? is that just for the cable?.......the mark up on cables is unbelievable :eek:

12. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  13. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes, thats probably the best idea, simply temporarily remove the clam shell hood on a suitable cable :thumbsup:

14. embee

embee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes...but as with anything you need to buy in bulk (50m for £200 ish)...that link's for a pre made cable though, that's what you're paying for......and I have no doubt Joe does an excellent job :thumbsup:

15. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm sure his cables are great, I may PM him when I've got everything laid out then perhaps do a cable comparison and post my results here.