Routing network cables outside the house


Well-known Member
I`m desperate to leave my wireless network behind and hardwire my network so I can stream files over the network etc. I have a netgear router, PC (upstairs), XBox 360 and technomate satellite receiver all of which I want connected.
My DIY skills are minimal, and I thought the best way to run the cables would be to drill through the wall, run the cable round the outside of the house, then drill back in next to the router. I can`t go under the floor due to wooden flooring, and my DIY skills are not sufficient to start running into ceilings etc.
Is this feasible, do I need special "weatherproof" cable etc. Is is just a case of cat5 cable with suitable connectors or will I need anything else.
Is this going to be a straightforward as I think it`s going to be, Or would I be better just biting the bullet and paying someone to sort it for me!!


Well-known Member
You should really use outdoor spec. Cat5 cable, although other people have reported no problems with using indoor spec. cable.

I got mine from: -

They will do any length, tell them how long you want it and you just pay for the next length up.

They will also put plugs on one or both ends as required.

I thought they were very good and quick :smashin:

The only problem is the size of holes you need to drill through the wall to accomodate the RJ45 plugs.:thumbsdow

I just used a little filler on the inside and a little silicon on the outside to reduce the hole sizes after routing the cable:smashin:

Nothing to difficult if you have a hammer drill and a masonary drill bit :thumbsup:


Well-known Member
It's pretty straight forward. There have been a few posts recently about this very thing if you do a search.


Strictly speaking normal Cat5 (and Cat5E and Cat6) cable is not weather proof and is water permeable and susceptible to UV, so you should use outdoor grade cable. People do run normal cable and it works fine, but there's a risk it will fail in months/years to come. It'll probably be cheaper to use normal Cat5E and replace it when it breaks than install outdoor grade cable. You could put the cbale in some form of trunking or flexible conduit to protect it, but it's not particularly cheap either. don't forget a small loop of cable where it enters the house to stop water seeping through the hole.

You could terminate the cable directly onto plugs, or to sockets in backboxes and use patch leads. Sockets and then patch leads would be my advice as it's a more flexible approach and a neater solution. It's also easier to install because termination only needs a punch down tool/IDC rather than a fiddley crimper.




Active Member
I used external CAT5e for my house. I went for the more finished look with a 3 port patch panel in the porch (where the router and gigabit switch are), two port by the TV (HTPC + HD-DVD player) and one port upstairs connected to another gigabit switch (workstation/server/xbox 360).

I bought all the components from and got a local firm to do the work. I got a bit screwed on the cost as I didn't agree a price for the job only a price/hour and a quote that it would take approx 2hours. The two work-shy layabouts who did it managed to string it out for 6 hours :eek: Won't be falling for that one again.

If you can agree a price upfront it shouldn't be to expensive to get professionals in.


Distinguished Member
I'm getting some good ideas for my next house from you mac_monkey ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom