Question Router

jjp2701

Established Member
Reaction score
hi there everyone i have the superhub 3
And it is shocking on wifi . So i am looking at getting a router and putting superhub 3 into modem mode. But dont know any good routers to use with hub 3 anyone any ideas which are the best to pair with it please

Hi
A friend is using one of the TP link ac1900 ones which seems to work fine for his wifi.
Although one that works for his house may not for you.

If money is no object and you want the latest & greatest wifi 6 router, then go for the Asus RT-AX88U.

Otherwise something like the Asus RT-AC86U or Asus RT-AC88U would be very good option for the money.

Came here to post this very thread :)

Working from home has really highlighted how bad the VM superhub is.. constant WIFI drops.

At one point I thought there was an issue with the router or line so I ran a test and it confirmed there may be an issue.. Contacted VM they told me to reset the router, ran another test and everything comes up OK.

WIFI drops are still constant but they don't want to know.

The final straw, tonight I find I can't change the DNS server so it's time to bite the bullet.

Sorry to hi-jack. Same issue here.
i happen to have an ASUS dsl-ac55u, I’ve looked at the ASU’s compare site but can’t really pick out the differences to those mentioned above.
i assume this would also be better than the ‘super’hub?

I have the Asus RT-AC86U and the difference between that and the Superhub 3 is night and day. The Asus can throw out 350Mbps all around the house where the SH3 wifi Performance drops very sharply over a short distance.

Yep, the Asus RT-AC86U is one of the best wifi 5 routers you can buy.

Where would you put the router in this pic, the original is on the little table you can just see middle left of sofa.
Maybe move the turntable and put it there or next shelf down !

Attachments

• 20200908_073319.jpg
    20200908_073319.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 156
Where would you put the router in this pic, the original is on the little table you can just see middle left of sofa.
Maybe move the turntable and put it there or next shelf down !
On top of the small table in the left of the picture should be fine - don't put it on the lower shelf.

New router put in same place as the old one and quadrupled speeds straight away on basic settings i suppose.
Time to get reading on how and what to setup.

New router put in same place as the old one and quadrupled speeds straight away on basic settings i suppose.
Time to get reading on how and what to setup.

Did you put your superhub on Modem Mode? Anything else? Mine is coming today hopefully 🙏

yes i put my superhub into modem mode. plugged in the ethernet cable and powered on the asus then logged into it using the web link on wifi and went through the setup process pppoe i think i selected. i upgraded the firmware in the settings page and then had to go to wan settings and set the connection to i think obtain ip automatically to be able to access web. every think linked back up without any problems and i set it up as before so 2.4 and 5g are seperate.

ive A new one coming today as well 😃
Decided to get a new ac86u (don’t need the features of the 88 and I have nothing that would use ax)
I tried my dsl-ac55u and speeds were instantly better, but I decided to treat myself anyway with a new one, I’ll probably sell the 55u as I have no use for it now

yes i put my superhub into modem mode. plugged in the ethernet cable and powered on the asus then logged into it using the web link on wifi and went through the setup process pppoe i think i selected. i upgraded the firmware in the settings page and then had to go to wan settings and set the connection to i think obtain ip automatically to be able to access web. every think linked back up without any problems and i set it up as before so 2.4 and 5g are seperate.

Did you create new WiFi Network names on the ASUS or did it allow you to use the WiFi Network names from the superhub?

ive A new one coming today as well 😃
Decided to get a new ac86u (don’t need the features of the 88 and I have nothing that would use ax)
I tried my dsl-ac55u and speeds were instantly better, but I decided to treat myself anyway with a new one, I’ll probably sell the 55u as I have no use for it now
What's the new features on the 88?

Main advantages of the AX88U over the AC86U:

faster CPU (quadcore v dual core)
more RAM
8 ports
Supports wifi 6

However the AC86U is no slouch, so if budget is an issue and/or you don't need a wifi 6 router then the AC86U is the next best thing. Both are great routers though!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom