1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Robert Lancs, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Robert Lancs

Robert Lancs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need a router that will enable me to hook up my PS2 to my adsl line as well as enabling 2 other computers to use the internet and allow those 2 computers to share files and allow the upstairs computer to print files on the downstairs computer.

Been looking at the speedtouch 510 v4, and was wondering whether it would work using this. Also would I need to add my printer to the router or could the upstairs computer print via the downstairs one.

Help greatly appreciated.

2. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Reading your enquiry it sounds like wireless could be the way to go if you need connectivity upstairs and downstairs. Unless of course you have plans to run ethernet cable between the PCs.

I bought a wireless ADSL router a few months ago, the 3Com OfficeConnect ADSL one. As well as the wi-fi and built in ADSL modem, it features 4 in/4 out ethernet ports and has an inbuilt firewall. PS2 and Xbox are wired into it, (the router is under the sofa in the living room next to the phone socket). PC in bedroom and a laptop connect wirelessly by USB2 Adapter (Netgear) and PCMCIA card (3Com) respectively. Router was painless to configure and has needed one reboot since purchase, which is pretty good performance. Wi-fi Signal strength and speed have been very good with no slowdown or loss of connection experienced.

Theres a printer attached to the PC which the laptop can see and print to via the router as needed. I transfer files daily between the laptop and the PC.

3. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,447
    I'd avoid wireless for gaming, as i said in this thread http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94

I have a D-Link DSL-504 and setup with the PS2 was real painless. I've had few problems at all, and obviously it works with the home computer turned off. Some mates that have sued wireless routers have gone back to cabled ones, as they say the the occasional dropped packet (or sequence) can cause glitches when gaming online, fine if surfing the web but a cable just seems better when you need a steady real-time connection.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardwar...link_dsl504.asp

It's got 4 ports so would connect up all your stuff, and like i said its does the job well.

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Draytek 2600 range is a good solid router. Much more reliable than your general Linksys/dlink etc. which may need rebooting often.

I believe they do a model with a printer server built in as well.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    You could by the Belkin adsl modem/router for from dabs, it has 4 ethernet ports and wireless too.
    Around £55 from memory, I have the router only version and it seems fine, with the best user interface for set up I have seen.