Router Worries

Kais1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi newbie here.

just recently had a 1gb fttp connecttion installed with VOIP.

now i am thinking of upgrading my router from the basic one i was given by the provider..

i cant find any gaming routers that have a phone input...

after reading some past threads on this forum i think what i need to get is

Grandstream HandyTone HT801 ATA​

phone line wont be active till the new year as number is being ported...

can someone please confrm what i will need to do with the new router that i order...as in what i will have to get additionally to make use of the VOIP supplied by my provider.

tks guys in advance

Kais1

You don’t need a router with a phone socket to use voip. Well unless you want BT Digital Voice that is, in which case only their SH2 will work.

Yes you can use a Grandsteam HT801 ATA with your VOIP service……BUT…….it requires your ISP/VoIP provider to provide you with your SIP login details. Some ISPs won’t though, eg BT. Who is your ISP?

Yes you can use a Grandsteam HT801 ATA with your VOIP service……BUT…….it requires your ISP/VoIP provider to provide you with your SIP login details. Some ISPs won’t though, eg BT. Who is your ISP?
new service who is giving 6 mths free 1gbs net.

they are called BRSK

I read recently that OpenReach are planning to turn off the POTS (analogue) phone system in 2025. If spending money on a new router it may be worth contemplating one that can cope with your POTS/DECT handsets if you are planning to retain a "house" phone (as opposed to "just using my mobile") in future. However, I've not done much research on the subject at time of writing.

Personally, I would wait to take possession of your new ISP router and try it for a few months before deciding I needed "something better." If the one they provide for free/bundled works, why waste the money on something else.

i have emailed the isp asking for sip details...wait and see if they provide.

if they dont can i not use a sipgatebasic account?

merry christmas btw

tks

I read recently that OpenReach are planning to turn off the POTS (analogue) phone system in 2025. If spending money on a new router it may be worth contemplating one that can cope with your POTS/DECT handsets if you are planning to retain a "house" phone (as opposed to "just using my mobile") in future. However, I've not done much research on the subject at time of writing.

Personally, I would wait to take possession of your new ISP router and try it for a few months before deciding I needed "something better." If the one they provide for free/bundled works, why waste the money on something else.
they router thats comes with the isp is very basic....

thats why i am considering a upgrade

i have emailed the isp asking for sip details...wait and see if they provide.

if they dont can i not use a sipgatebasic account?

merry christmas btw

tks
Let’s hope your ISP provides you with your SIP login details. But if not, then yes Basic Sipgate is recommended. I’m using Sipgate with a Grandstream HT801 and it works very well. Easy to setup too.

Let’s hope your ISP provides you with your SIP login details. But if not, then yes Basic Sipgate is recommended. I’m using Sipgate with a Grandstream HT801 and it works very well. Easy to setup too.
are you in the uk?

are you in the uk?
yes. Btw if your ISP doesn't provide you with SIP login details and you plan on using Sipgate Basic instead for VOIP calls, then CANCEL the number port because you will be charged £3+ per month by your ISP irrespective of whether you use the VOIP service or not. Then instead, port your existing number over to Sipgate (or any other VOIP of your choice)

Last edited:
yes. Btw if your ISP doesn't provide you with SIP login details and you plan on using Sipgate Basic instead for VOIP calls, then CANCEL the number port because you will be charged £3+ per month by your ISP irrespective of whether you use the VOIP service or not. Then instead, port your existing number over to Sipgate (or any other VOIP of your choice)
will i need a voip phone or will a regular bt phone suffice?

if i need a voip phone can you recommend a good one?

tks in advance

Kais

Any standard phone - corded or dect - will work with the Grandstream HT801.
my isp has provided me with a username, password and domain details..

is there anything else i will need?

i have ordered my router which is a
ASUS (RT-AX88U) AX6000 (1148 + 4804Mbps) Wireless Dual Band Gaming Router, MU-MIMO, 802.11ax, USB 3.0, 8

to set this up with my fibre connection, are they any more details i will require from my isp?

any help appreciated...

:)

i have ordered my router which is a
ASUS (RT-AX88U) AX6000 (1148 + 4804Mbps) Wireless Dual Band Gaming Router, MU-MIMO, 802.11ax, USB 3.0, 8

to set this up with my fibre connection, are they any more details i will require from my isp?

any help appreciated...

That’s a great router choice. If your ISP uses PPPoE authentication then get these login details from them and enter them into the Asus.

Wrt VOIP, simply plug the Grandstream HT801 into the router LAN port.

That’s a great router choice. If your ISP uses PPPoE authentication then get these login details from them and enter them into the Asus.

Wrt VOIP, simply plug the Grandstream HT801 into the router LAN port.
recieved this email from my isp re router setup

To setup your router, simply swap over the cable which is plugged into the WAN (blue) port of your Icotera over to your own router and set the Internet/WAN port to acquire an address by DHCP. No PPPoE authentication details are required.

wait for all my ordered gear to arrive now, so wont be till the new year till i attempt at connecting.

tks for the assistance

any idea what the difference between the grandstream ht801 and ht 801 handytone is?

lol....i missed that

tks

btw is it easy to set up, i was watching a youtube video and there seems to be hundreds of settings....??

lol....i missed that

tks

btw is it easy to set up, i was watching a youtube video and there seems to be hundreds of settings....??
Forget YouTube vids, follow the instructions here and you can't go wrong. Yes the HT801 has tonnes of settings, but you only need to change a few. Leave everything else as default.

Page 22 of the HT801 manual describes how to access the config settings page via a web browser

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom