Router with LAN to LAN VPN

McKettle

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am setting up a WAN between 3 locations, I need advise on which router I should get that has LAN to LAN VPN.

My requirements:
LAN to LAN VPN
Able to automatically update DynDNS as I dont have static IP's
2 locations are ADSL the other cable
Got around £80 to spend on each one, wish I could get more as I would love a Draytek.

Thanks

Please don't take this advice as the holy grail, but perhaps 2 cheap routers running DD-WRT or open-WRT would do the job?

I will require some tinkering though:). It's not really an out-of-the-box solution. But it is cheap:D

A few years ago I used a couple of Drayteks to do just this but it seems you've discounted this already. I'm guessing you want to routers to do the VPN stuff rather than just VPN pass-through that most home routers will do. Sorry I can't help more.

Kris.

the DSL bit is easy - a Netgear DG834G or DG834GT both support box to box VPN termination (up to 5) - you can pick them up for under £50

the non ADSL one is more tricky as IPSEC VPN terminations is usually a business class product feature, and they are normally >£80

you could try ebay - ive seen FVS318 Netgear on there for £30 new ...they are small SMB VPN routers

Last edited:
Thanks for all your imput guys, I'm new to the VPN side so I may be about to ask some retarded questions, for which I apologise

1 - What is the difference between VPN pass through and VPN termination? which do I require for setting up a WAN between 3 locations so they can share documents and printers
2 - I have three sites, Site 1, 2 and 3. When setting up the VPN do I tunnel 1 to 2 then 2 to 3 then 3 to 1 or 1 to 2 and 3 to 1?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

I thought they were VPN pass-through only, and not VPN termination?

Kris.

on the later firmware from DG834Gv3 onwards and latest DG834GT firmware you can do up to 5 tunnel termination. The VPN client is VPNC certfied for basic interop too :smashin:

I know a few people that use them as a cheap SMB solution for branch offices/remote workers :smashin:

on the later firmware from DG834Gv3 onwards and latest DG834GT firmware you can do up to 5 tunnel termination. The VPN client is VPNC certfied for basic interop too :smashin:

I know a few people that use them as a cheap SMB solution for branch offices/remote workers :smashin:

That makes sense Mark. I had an early DG834G which wouldn't do it hence using the Draytek.

1 - What is the difference between VPN pass through and VPN termination? which do I require for setting up a WAN between 3 locations so they can share documents and printers
2 - I have three sites, Site 1, 2 and 3. When setting up the VPN do I tunnel 1 to 2 then 2 to 3 then 3 to 1 or 1 to 2 and 3 to 1?

Thanks

1 - passthrough = each individual client on each LAN use locally installed VPN software to connect to other devices and the router will 'pass-through' the VPN traffic from LAN to WAN.

termination = the router starts and terminates the VPN on its WAN interface and the clients just see the connections to the other networks transparently.

2 - It sounds like you need VPN termination. i.e. the routers make the VPN connections to each other and you end up with three LANs connected as if they are local (but on different subnets) but using the Internet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom