Router Upstairs-Computer Downstairs

Captain1201

Novice Member
I have a Router upstairs and a single Ethernet Cable running from the upstairs to the Shack downstairs. Is there some kind of Ethernet hub that I can plug that one single Ethernet Cable into to access the router from the downstairs shack?

I need this additional access, without running another dedicated Ethernet cable, because I currently have a police scanner operating in the shack, and it's currently plugged into the router upstairs via the Ethernet Cable run. I intend to use that one Ethernet cable that is already plugged into the existing scanner, and would like to be able to plug that existing Ethernet cable into a hub, then use hub that would permit me to plug the existing police scanner, and a new secondary scanner, into the hub, and have the hub act as an extension of the router.

I will be adding a secondary scanner. Both scanners have to have their own IP addresses and port assignments, in order to distinguish the two scanners from one another in order to publish them to the internet for remote access to the individual scanners. I'm using a program that provides internet access to the scanners so you can monitor them remotely via any device that allows internet access.

If anyone knows of an internet link to a device I can purchase that would accomplish the extension of the router to basement shack using the existing Ethernet cable I already have in place, one that would basically act the same as if I had the scanners both individually plugged into the router, then please advise. There are wireless devices available to accomplish this, but I prefer to have hard wired connections to the scanners.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

stevie0

You answered your own question in the first line, a simple hub will do this.

Captain1201

Novice Member
You answered your own question in the first line, a simple hub will do this.
Do you have one you can specifically recommend. I checked Amazon.com, but I often feel that they're product offering is sometimes either pirated or lower quality with respect to warranty. If you know of a link for a good one, one that you may have used, it would be appreciated, something under $50.00 would be preferable, and do you recommend I get a "managed" or "unmanaged" switch, taking into consideration the need for port assignments, etc...thanks!

stevie0

You could also run 1 cable down and have the router connected directly to the scanners.

Captain1201

Novice Member
You could also run 1 cable down and have the router connected directly to the scanners.
Well, for the cost of the switch, it's almost cheaper to buy the switch versus the cable. I would need probably about 20 feet of Ethernet cable to run a separate line, and I also have my wall cable cover full of coax and the one already run Ethernet cable drop to the downstairs. Plus, the switch would give me more plug-ins for other devices downstairs....thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom