Router Upgrade

mrmazie

Standard Member
Hi to the forum.

I have a Belkin Wireless g router IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
I have had this for about 6 years or more now but am thinking of up grading it, as now we have 4 pc's and a xbox in the house 2 of which are wired to the router and the others are wireless.
Later near the end 2012 or mid 2013 we will be getting BT infinity in the area so I will go over to that, but in the mean time I am thinking of up grading to a new router with n technology.
Any ides of which would be a good choice to use.
It need it to be able to be used on a bt phone line.
Thank you for you help

why are you upgrading (its one word) ? Are some of your wireless devices needing a speed increase now or do you need more wired sockets etc ? Also how many N devices do you currently have as its ifs just one and your changing to fibre next year it might be a waste to change now.

mrmazie

Standard Member
Thank you for the reply. I would like to upgrade so l can watch iplayer etc without any lag etc and down loading up dates faster.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I would suspect any lag you're experiencing is much more likely to be due to the performance of your ISP link (ADSL?) rather than the use of 802.11 B/G versus and N wifi transport.

Still, it's easy enough to test. Connect up using an ethernet cable and see whether the problem goes away. If it does, you can suspect Wi-Fi issues, is it doesn't, you know it isn't wi-fi that's the culprit.

Changing you router might improve your download rate by deed of having the latest chipset and software in it's modem, but equally you run the risk of your link performance getting worse (for example, if the chipset in your new device does happen to "play nicely" with whatever is in use up at the exchange as well as you current router.)

If you're getting Infinity in a few months, I would just tough it out and wait for whatever BT supply and save your money. It's very likely that whatever router Infinity supply will have 802.11N.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom