Router Upgrade

chaz

Hi at the moment my broadband is with O2 who I am happy with them. But I would like to upgrade my router as the one I am using is the one i got was with the O2 and I am sure i can do better than the one they supplied me with. Is it possible to upgrade from the the router they supplied and if so what the best one to go for thanks Opps forgot it has to be wireless to

Last edited:

mickevh

"Better" than what..? That's to say, what's wrong with your current router that you are trying to "fix?"

I know some people like to buy new cars and clothes and such simply because they "fancy a change" or have money buring holes in their pockets, but honestly, unless there's something your current router doesn't do that you need or want and thus need to change, or your current one is broken, I just wouldn't bother. I doubt you'll notice much, if any, difference.

chaz

Thanks for that guys I must admit The one I got With O2 is working OK I was under the impression that upgrading it might give me faster broadband as the one that O2 Supply looks rather cheap. The one that Iccz recommends the Netgear DGN2200 would i get much more inprovment than the cheap that O2 Gave me. thanks

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that guys I must admit The one I got With O2 is working OK I was under the impression that upgrading it might give me faster broadband as the one that O2 Supply looks rather cheap. The one that Iccz recommends the Netgear DGN2200 would i get much more inprovment than the cheap that O2 Gave me. thanks
As mickevh says improvement on what is the main question.

In terms of internet connection speed - no, you would see no improvement.

If you want a faster wireless network and have wireless N cards then you'd see an improvement in local wireless speeds...

If you want more control for port forwarding or DMZ etc then yes it's worth upgrading.

Generally the one provided will work perfectly well out of the box and most users will have little to no reason to upgrade.

If you want improvements in your internet speed a new router isn't your answer.

chaz

Thanks for that info:>) will not bother then to upgrade until one O2 gave me breaks down.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that info:>) will not bother then to upgrade until one O2 gave me breaks down.
If the O2 one does break down then call them up and explain the problem to them and the chances are they will send you another one :thumbsup:

When having problems my O2 router wasn't broke but they sent me another out just to make sure.

damiant

not sure if it works with o2, but opening a free opendns account might improve speeds as you will then use the opendns DNS servers.

I tried using with sky though and had dropouts

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I use OpenDNS with O2 as there was a patch a few months ago where their DNS servers were struggling. But, speedwise it's only while browsing you see a little, if any increase, downloads do not go any faster, nor does gaming.

Kristian

but opening a free opendns account might improve speeds as you will then use the opendns DNS servers.
Iccz said:
speedwise it's only while browsing you see a little, if any increase, downloads do not go any faster, nor does gaming.
The only way using 'quicker' DNS servers will speed up your broadband connection is when your PC first needs to resolve the domain name in a URL. After the first lookup the browser will be using the IP address so DNS no longer plays a part in the communication.

Usually, if you are using a router with many devices on your LAN, the router is acting as a proxy DNS server so any lookups are cached.

Kris.

Trending threads

Top Bottom