Question Router upgrade for Plex?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by EntryLevel, Oct 11, 2018.

1. EntryLevel

EntryLevel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hello all

BLUF/TLDR: Do I need to replace the BT Smarthub 6 to use Plex?

I've just started putting together a Plex based DVR and home streaming infrastructure: Win10 3rd gen i5 Plex Media Server, HDHomeRun tuner and Android/Roku clients connected wither by Cat5e or wifi. However I'm running into issues with the direct connection from client to server not being available on all devices.

Running Plex Media Player on my laptop I can get an indication of "Nearby", indicating a direct connection to the server, but the Android TV client informs me that it has failed to establish a direct connection. From my understanding, which is limited at this point, this means that the server will send the file over the internet, rather than the home network. This has obvious implications for speed and quality of playback.

I've tried reading around the subject, and it seems that the issue may be that the DNS and DHCP elements of my current router, the BT SmartHub 6, doesn't support the necessary features (something called DNS rebinding?) to allow the optimal connection between client and server.

So, my question is, can I resolve this with my existing hardware, or do I need to replace the router?

I have an ASUS 4G-N12 that I could sub in on router duties if that would be an easy fix, but that only has the 2.4 band wifi, so would probably keep the BT hub on as a wireless AP (i've converted HH3 to do this before, I'm assuming I can do this with the 6 too).

I'm probably going to cross-post this on the Plex forum too, but thought the users here might have more experience with the BT SmartHub 6.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

EDIT: I have a BT FTTP Modem, so the router is not providing the modem capability.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. psychopomp1

psychopomp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Its not cheap @ £400 but if you can afford it, then I would highly recommend the Netgear R9000 (X10) router. It has a Plex Server built-in (only consumer router with such a feature) and with its powerful 1.7ghz quadcore processor, its able to transcode video real time. Its also one of the best routers for wifi range/coverage, far far better than ISP supplied junk. Though the third band on the router, 802.11ad is pretty mcuh useless, its only a very short range band (5-10 m with line of sight)

In a week or two, its successor, the Netgear XR700 will be released @ £500 (lol) which is basically the R9000 but with DumaOS firmware. Once the XR700 is released, the price of the R9000 should drop to around £250-£300 so probably worth waiting for a few weeks. But you won't regret buying the R9000, its a brilliant router and like with most things in life, you get what you pay for :)

Read this:

Running Plex On A Router Is Better

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  3. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,620
    4-500 GBP seems a lot of outlay just to fix (what sounds like) a fairly basic DNS issue.

I don't know plex, but can you "fix" it by using IP addresses instead of DNS names...? That would cost nothing.

4. EntryLevel

EntryLevel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the reply @psychopomp1

I'm sure the R9000 is a stunning bit of kit, and running a server from it would be a neat solution, but that's rather a stretch for my current budget. I'll keep an eye out for discounts, but even then it's probably not realistic in the short term and long term there are a number of other purchases of that value that would take priority.

My network usage is otherwise very light: only two of us in the house and we will likely both be watching any streamed content together, no ping reliant online games and we don't torrent. Based on this, I believe I should be able to operate a mid-range router with plenty of headroom for expansion.

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    No you don't. I have the same BT hub, and Plex client working on my LG TV.

I had the same issue, and I think I resolved it by putting in the IP address into the Plex client config. If that doesn't work for you, I'll double-check when I'm home.

6. EntryLevel

EntryLevel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks, that's good to hear.

Just had a quick look. The Android TV app doesn't seem to have that option unfortunately, very limited options available. I have been able to find it on the Roku app, so will give that a go to see if that helps.