Router upgrade advice

5. 1 Ethernet cable through hall wall to study then into wall socket. This then goes outside to external wall and runs down outside wall to living room. Entering room terminated at a wall socket

Don't quite get that bit. Is there more than one cable running to the study, or is there a second switch in there? If you are somehow using the one cable for your wife's computer and the switch in the living room then you will be limited to 100Mbit if you have used something like a cable splitter (not recommended in your case. What speed does your wife's computer report and what speedtests?

On your switch you should be able to tell whether something is connected at 100 or 1000Mbit

1662235802331.png

This should be an easy way to check, you should fully power up each device as they will sometimes drop to a lower speed to conserve power in standby.

Cable back to router\study(?) - Should be green

Panasonic OLED 65FZ802B - would expect this to be 100Mbit (yellow)
Apple TV4K player - 1000Mbit (Green)
Manhattan 2TB PVR -? speed
Panasonic 820 4K Blu-ray player -? speed
Marantz SR7012 home cinema receiver - would expect 100Mbit (yellow)
Oppo 103D Blu-ray player -? speed

If you check and report back we can probably fix it.

Ah sorry ChuckMountain, I meant there’s an Ethernet cable from LAN 1 on the router going to my wife’s desktop PC in the study, which uses a work set-up VPN I’ve been told. Then an Ethernet cable from LAN 2 on the router through the wall to the study which is only 7 feet, which then plugs into an RJ45 Ethernet face plate

This is where that faceplate allows a wired connection outside and along to the living room to supply wired connection to the switch and all the home cinema items off of that. An Ookla Speedtest gets 200-350Mbps up and down, wired for my wife’s work PC. My wired connection which I sometimes use from LAN 3 on the router going to another room, gets over 900Mbps up and down to a 27” 5k iMac. I don’t use wired often, as the Wi-Fi on the iMac at 95Mbps up and down is fine for normal work

I’ll check tomorrow on the colour of the lights on the switch for each device

Ah forgot to say there’s a Yealink IP phone connected to LAN 4 on the router from last Thursday!

Hello all. Picture of switch in living room which is connected directly to new TOOB router via Ethernet cat5e going outside the property then back in as detailed earlier

Attachments

• 731A89FC-F9F7-452C-99F1-30D437486A56.jpeg
    731A89FC-F9F7-452C-99F1-30D437486A56.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 40
Ok that's not that great, might be an older model but it's not distinguishing between speeds on that switch, so not able to tell from that alone :(

The easiest way to check (Rather than unhooking various things) I think would be to install Speedtest on the Apple TV and check to see what speeds you get.

I’ve also turned on all the components and done various streams and software updates and they all wiz through on their Ethernet connections as you’d imagine

Just downloaded Ookla Speedtest the Apple TV4K and ran a test

Attachments

• 8D07FEB0-CF79-4065-AB03-16035F084B85.jpeg
    8D07FEB0-CF79-4065-AB03-16035F084B85.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 36
Just downloaded Ookla Speedtest the Apple TV4K and ran a test

Good stuff, so that proves gigabit connectivity to your switch from the router and to 4K.

To clarify, which cable is the Airport on that switch picture?

The two custom cables aren't terminated particularly well, the cable should be in the RJ45 plug to be held down.

I thought you’d say that! I haven’t looked at the cables for a while, just unplugged from one of the devices we weren’t using to plug in the AirPort Extreme. I’ve found another better patch lead and swapped it for the not very well terminated one, which was actually being used on the extreme 😞. It’s the one on the right next to the ‘SKY’ labelled one now

Attachments

• 5D6A2FFA-27DE-48CD-9BE5-D1E823B89A5C.jpeg
    5D6A2FFA-27DE-48CD-9BE5-D1E823B89A5C.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 42
I’ve run out of patch leads so I’ll have to get one from work to replace the ‘OLED’ one that’s still not terminated very well. Although my wife’s streaming Disney+ now via the tv app and it’s perfect

I’ve run out of patch leads so I’ll have to get one from work to replace the ‘OLED’ one that’s still not terminated very well. Although my wife’s streaming Disney+ now via the tv app and it’s perfect

The TV one will only be 100Mbit connection but that's more than adequate for Disney+.

With the "new" patch cable to the Airport Extreme have you retested the speeds?

The other thing is adjusting the channel bandwidth on the Airport Extreme, you should make sure if possible this is set to 80MHz to increase throughput.

Thanks ChuckMountain. I’ll try that now and look into checking the 80MHz option in AirPort Utility

Haven’t had a chance to test this evening so will do tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help today

Now you have proven the Apple TV gets ~1G you could simply move that to connect to the air port & re test, if the speed is still ~1G then the performance issue is likely wifi config (or air port hw) if it’s still ~100M then try replacing the switch to airport cable

Tested the Apple TV4K plugged directly into the AirPort Extreme with Ethernet and I get over 900 up and down. Changed the Ethernet cable again from the switch to the extreme to see if WiFi improve, but it didn’t, so it’s definitely the set-up etc. I’ll try a few other things later this evening

Attachments

• 3720CB9F-41BC-47BC-92FA-FF7503D60A83.jpeg
    3720CB9F-41BC-47BC-92FA-FF7503D60A83.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 25
Just got in so will try resetting the AirPort Extreme completely tomorrow. It seemed to not like ‘extending a network’ previously and when asked to create a new network it would only work by using the same TOOB wireless network and password

Just to update a very old thread. We took the Apple AirPort Extreme out of the setup a while back and introduced a TP-Link AC1900 Gigabit Mesh Wi-Fi Range Extender and now get a very good Wi-Fi signal to the extreme edge of the property and out in the garden

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom