Router & Tenda MW6 setup guidance

bigbigdan1000

Standard Member
I have recently purchased two double sets of Tenda MW6s, and have them spread around my house which have improved the Wi-Fi, and I also have a few things connected to them via ethernet cables.

My questions are as follows:
1. Should I turn off Wi-Fi on the router provided by my ISP and just rely on the mesh nodes, previous responses appear to say I should?
2. Should I change the Connection Type setting on the Tenda app from DHCP to Bridge mode, as doing this gives a warning that port forwarding, UPnP, DNS, QoS & LAN settings all become unavailable

Thanks in advance for your help.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
1. You can do either.
2. Yes, bridge mode would be better IMO. That way all the DHCP, port forwarding etc. is handled by your router and you don't introduce additional complexity having the MW6 (needlessly) dupilcate those functions and you won't split your network into two "subnets". Don't worry about the warning messages, if you didn't buy the MW in order to avail yourself of those functions, you probably aren't going to miss them or your existing router is already doing it for you.

bigbigdan1000

Standard Member
1. You can do either.
2. Yes, bridge mode would be better IMO. That way all the DHCP, port forwarding etc. is handled by your router and you don't introduce additional complexity having the MW6 (needlessly) dupilcate those functions and you won't split your network into two "subnets". Don't worry about the warning messages, if you didn't buy the MW in order to avail yourself of those functions, you probably aren't going to miss them or your existing router is already doing it for you.
Thanks. I’ve changed to Bridge mode but am now getting an error message that my device with the Tenda app on ‘Failed to connect to nova’, is this normal behaviour having chat he’d to Bridge mode?

Attachments

• D322BCA9-ABBB-4D79-B16C-5DD22ADA7098.png
    D322BCA9-ABBB-4D79-B16C-5DD22ADA7098.png
    395.1 KB · Views: 34

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I am afraid I don't know what Tenda "Nova" is. Someone else will probably know.

If everything is working fine otherwise (ie you can get on the Internet with no issues) I wouldn't worry about it.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom