router & telephone on secondary socket is this the best way ?

gaynor

Standard Member
I have an old Master telephone socket  master socket.jpg I dont want to plug anything into this as its not near any electric sockets and hard to get to . Ive hard wired a telephone wire into this one end and the other -

I have hardwired a secondary wire to a secondary socket about 15 feet away
2secondarysocket .jpg

I ve plugged in the router and telephone into this new single socket as a test and they work with very little loss of signal ( 62 instead of 66 so thats ok )
3secondaryfront.jpg

But what a mess it looks - was thinking of getting something like this

MK Essentials Double RJ11 Telephone / Data Socket White (490HT ) skrewfix​

I should like to know - would this work without the filter thing on the front -
Is there a better way to do this configuration without losing internet speed -
I just want to be able to have the telephone answer machine and router together next to the electric sockets in an easy accessible place. Ive got one other secondary wire going from the master that just has one phone plugged into it with a run of 2 feet that was already installed through a wall. Any help much appreciated. master socket.jpg2secondarysocket .jpg3secondaryfront.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24354

Technically, that Master Socket is the property of Openreach and you should not mess with it. If you want it moving then you should book an engineer visit for them to move it for you, which they will most likely charge for.

If it were me, I would purchase one of these for your extended socket, removing the existing faceplate

Amazon product
I would then remove the faceplate from the current Master Socket and connect (using grease filled crimps)

Amazon product
the two incoming BT Cables (normally orange and white to the extension Orange and Orange / White cables respectively, effectively making the original Master socket dead and connecting the Orange and Orange / White cables to the A and B terminals in the new master socket. This will give you what you need. But as I have said, the Master Socket is technically Openreach's property.

Last edited by a moderator:

gaynor

Standard Member
Thank you - although I would be too wary of actually taking out the master socket in case I made a mess of it - also as there is another lead from the master through the wall this would not work if the old master was defunct.
If it all went wrong & the old socket was left in place I couldnt get told off for messing with it I could just unwire anything I had done.
I am presuming one day when we go properly fibre in this area where I live I will get a new master socket provided - mine is nearly 30 years old )
The socket you show does look good, very neat - would this work as the secondary socket if I just hard wired it into that rather than the test one I am using now ?

D

Deleted member 24354

Thank you - although I would be too wary of actually taking out the master socket in case I made a mess of it - also as there is another lead from the master through the wall this would not work if the old master was defunct.
If it all went wrong & the old socket was left in place I couldnt get told off for messing with it I could just unwire anything I had done.
I am presuming one day when we go properly fibre in this area where I live I will get a new master socket provided - mine is nearly 30 years old )
The socket you show does look good, very neat - would this work as the secondary socket if I just hard wired it into that rather than the test one I am using now ?
Yes, probably

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom