Router/Switch issue?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Mikey86uk, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Mikey86uk

Mikey86uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Hi Guys.

Currently having an issue with my Router/Switch setup and not sure why.

I have a Netgear WNDR3700v2 router which is located downstairs and I've cabled my house so that a ethernet point upstairs in my home office.

In my home office i have 3 devices connected to a TP Link SG105 (Metal) 5 port switch. An iMac,PS4 and Sky+HD box.

Now, over the last few months and even more so lately (once or twice a day) the connection via ethernet will drop across all 3 devices, but WiFi works fine, and the only why to get an internet connection again is to turn off either the router or switch at the wall and then back on.

When the connection does drop the Mac tells me it has a self assigned IP Address and cannot connect to the internet, so I'm assuming its the same for the other 2? I have gone into my router settings and given the 3 ethernet devices reserved IP's but it still drops connection.

Is this a dodgy switch or router, or is there a fix?

Thanks.

2. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Well, it's either a problem with the router, the switch, or the cabling connecting them. As the easiest component to replace for troubleshooting is the switch that's what I'd try first.

You have of course checked all the connectors on the cabling path between the router and switch and made sure they're all firmly in (possibly disconnect and re-connect).

3. Mikey86uk

Mikey86uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Just checked cables and they all seem fine, and they held connection for around 10 hours last night.

Also just remembered, i have another switch (Different brand) behind my TV downstairs which connects the TV and Sky Box, and they both had access, so could be a fault with my switch?

For the sake of £20 might it be worth getting another switch?

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    A quick "wiggle" of the uplink cable probably won't tell you much. If the connectors are dirty, pins bent or there's a break in the cable, you probably wouldn't see anything.

Given that you have two switches, you could swap them around and see if the problem moves with the switch or not. In the event of failure, it would also be a good idea to check the indicator lamps and see what state they are in (all lit, all out, only some out, etc.)

5. Mikey86uk

Mikey86uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Currently on the TP Link, it says the cable that is connecting the switch to the router is 10M/100M

The Mac and Sky box have a green light (Left side) which would mean 1000M?

I would rather avoid pulling the other switch out as it would be to much hassle really.

What's the best 5 port switch on the market for around £20-£30?

6. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    The current state of the lamps is not so much important as any change of state when you experience a failure: What we're looking for is to see what (if anything) has changed - ie nothing (not much help,) has just the uplink gone down (might be dodgy port or failed cable,) or have the all the lamps gone out (more likely the switch as a whole has failed.) Could also be a PSU issue (any lamps on that..?)

I don't use much SOHO equipment, but at this price point I'd expect all the basic unmanaged "desktop" switches to be much of a muchness (ethernet switching is a pretty basic operation that is very well understood and it's hard to believe anyone gets it wrong.) Personally I'd stick to a "brand" rather than a cheap generic and I'd buy 10/100/1000 (AKA Gigabit) capable devices as the price difference between them and 10/100 is minimal these days. A web site call SmallNetBuilder does a good job or reviewing SOHO equipment. Not sure if he does switches, but he'd be worth a look.

Of course, if your issue is a cable fault, or a fault on your mains socket, a new switch won't cure it.

7. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I have the 8 port version of the Netgear GS105e, it's a very good switch with basic cable testing capability via a windows switch management application.