Router Recommendations (must offer external drive support)

magycks

Hi All,

Background: I have a Netgear Nighthawk X4S (R7800) router which i've had for 2.5 years. While originally brilliant, I now find it drops traffic, requires restarts and the readyshare feature for NAS/upnp is totally bricked (presumably following firmware updates some time ago). The attached storage feature does not work at all even with a brand new freshly formatted drive (files can't be opened from android, mac, pc etc and i tried NTFS, HFS+ and ExFat formats for the connected HDD. Bear in mind used to work perfectly). Amazon has agreed to refund it.

Question: What are recommendations for the best wireless routers? My requirements are that it be fast and offer a good NAS/upnp solution for my files including 4k video which i'd like to stream to my android tv with VLC. I don't want the hassle of an external NAS.

Budget: Flexible/high end but not stupid. If it does a great job at £100-250 that's fine.

psychopomp1

Can you try using Voxel's firmware, as it might fix all of your issues. The R7800 is still a very capable router so I would try alternate firmware first:

Otherwise something like a Netgear R9000 would be a nice replacement.

magycks

I did spend a bit of time looking at alternative firmware... but then i realised i'd been looking into it for hours and it's hassle/nonsense i really don't need in my life. If there was a very quick and simple plug and play way to do it and get all features then i would but it seems to open up a web of possibilities and options.

Is there a plug and play / quick and easy custom firmware route you'd recommend?

I'll check out the R9000 in the meantime

magycks

Is the R9000 (X10) still current? Nothing on amazon and google search comes up pretty dry...

Apparently the XR500 (current / new) is same hardware as my X4S just way more expensive with different stock firmware.

Is there a 'for dummies' guide for the Voxel firmware?

Last edited:

psychopomp1

Changing to Voxel's firmware is just like updating the regular firmware, ie very easy. Go to:

Download 1.0.2.80SF.zip, save this to your pc and unzip it. Go to the firmware update page for the R7800 and upgrade firmware using the file you just downloaded. After the update is complete, I suggest doing a factory reset to clear the router's NVRAM.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
IMHO trying to use a "router" as a "NAS" is inadvisable in all but the most trivial use case. Use a "router" to function as an Internet gateway and "network in a box" and buy a separate NAS to be a NAS.

Thusly, if ever you upgrade your router, or change ISP (and thereby get a new one,) you don't have to "worry" about whether the replacement router is "compatible" with whatever storage solution it attaches to and/or port any data around.

Last edited:

magycks

I'm on the Voxel firmware now. Still having the exact same issues as before with the attached hard drive not working properly. My mac and android TV can find files but often can't open them (they can't be found)

magycks

I'm on the Voxel firmware now. Still having the exact same issues as before with the attached hard drive not working properly. My mac and android TV can find files but often can't open them (they can't be found)

Even on the Voxel firmware my hard drive has been bricked and is now read only...

Might need to look at an independent NAS... which is a shame because the X4S used to do everything I needed it to do out the box flawlessly

psychopomp1

In that case go for the Netgear R9000 (X10). Its a newer version of the R7800 and is much more powerful. Not cheap but like with most stuff in life, you get what you pay for.

D

Deleted member 24354

Have to agree with @mickevh here. Leave Routers to do routing and use a NAS if you want network addressable storage.

Ruffuz

I'm using Asus router for the last 5 years to do that.

AC66U, AC56U and now AC86U which is great. There's a new version AX86U but not sure it's worth the money.

magycks

Thanks all. I've just created a new thread about NAS for network storage. Would be really helpful if those of you with experience could chime in:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom