Router problems and huge bill

MartinImber

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Over 240 hours on internet last month - average of 17 hours per day - on line for 4 days at one time!!!

PC is usually on for 6-8 hours per day router is powered off with the PC and printer ect at the mains.

I did leave it all powered up for a couple of days for MPEGing but the router was off line AFAIK.

DI300 BT ISDN - any ideas anyone?

Martin, did you say in a previous post that you share the account? Or is it just that your employer pays for it? If it is shared it could be one of the other people using the account that is using it so much! Anyway this does seem strange although it should be mentioned that ISDN has the capability to power devices by itself. The best advice would be to set the router to time-out the connection after a short period of time, it shouldn't affect normal use too much as ISDN is so quick to authenticate.

Martin, did you say in a previous post that you share the account? Or is it just that your employer pays for it? If it is shared it could be one of the other people using the account that is using it so much! Anyway this does seem strange although it should be mentioned that ISDN has the capability to power devices by itself. The best advice would be to set the router to time-out the connection after a short period of time, it shouldn't affect normal use too much as ISDN is so quick to authenticate.

Yes it is shared - it is our office account:eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

However Mrs BT said it was 91 hours over for January using 01905 xxxxxx - my ISDN number!!!!

Mind you sometimes it won't go on without resetting the router.

My ISDN wall thing has a USB port - what is ISDN via USB like?

ISDN powering devices is scarey!!!!

Thanks for your help!

Martin

When we had ISDN it was set to disconnect after 3 mins inactive, but as soon as my son powered his PC running Realplayer, on went the ISDN. If he left his PC on overnight so was the connection.

Hope that helps a little.

Pcdoc

ISDN via the USB port on your BT "Highway" unit will not be as good as via your router. As I said before, it is in theory possible for power via ISDN. However I have no idea whether this has ever been implemented in the UK and even if it was it is unlikely (although not impossible) that it would be adequate to power a router. Set your time-out to a really low figure and see how you get on.

I have a few ISPs to call - some have already been discounted due to untrained support staff from India.

Makes me wonder if TMPGENC or Ulead products go for the internet

The simplest way to find out whether programs are seeking an internet connection is to use the free version of the firewall Zonealarm It will prompt you when a program requests a nework connection and you can set up permissions to control this.

I was told that when on a lan and ISDN is part of the network, even if a packet is internal, isdn will still try and dial out.

There are many reasons this can happen - but the most common ones are windows related; If ISDN is driven from a windows PC, make sure that ONLY TCP/IP is enabled on the connection or windows will regularly try and chat to its "friends" in the big wide world.

If you have a separate router driving ISDN then it can be difficult, as you want file sharing etc in house, but not going out across the ISDN connection. zonealarm is an excellent way of finding out what is going on.

The other classic reason for a PC to keep the connection open is if you have a virus infestation - you are running up to date AV software?

Hi m8, can you clarify what Router you have, I have set these up before and you need to add Drop routes etc in the Firewall if there is the ability to add these to your Router.

Cheers

Taz

DLINK DI300

CUrrently useless - also modem btclick dialup not wprking

Using something called FREE100 via the modem to do this!!!!!

NETSUPPORT to office still works!!!!

Very reliably

I've had a router at work go nuts on me, it called New Zealand every couple of minutes for a whole month, it racked up £30'000 of call changes!

mmm

Have you thought about the possibility you have been affected by some malware?

Some sort of dialler may have been installed.

Install Spybot, Adaware and a good perosnal firewall package such as Norton or Zonealarm.

It goes without saying that you should protect yourself with a good AV Package

JB

Originally posted by Toekiller
I was told that when on a lan and ISDN is part of the network, even if a packet is internal, isdn will still try and dial out.

sounds like the routing options need a bit of tweaking. As the LAT of the PC should contain only the IP ranges of internal PC's, and if the given IP is not in the LAT, then go external.

But without knowing the full network config, troubleshooting can be difficult.

Spybot S&D
Adaware
both installed (for ages)
now also Zone alarm

Windows Messenger has been found trying to escape:nono: so it is now banned.

I have set up an ISDN dialer as well using USB, I MAY get Tesco net as it is cheap as a second ISP, just disable if I need BT Internet.

This is all a go about as I may go broadband eventually, but then I lose ISDN and ISDN is more important than downloading.

I had the same sort of problem about three years ago at work. The bill had 3 0's on the end of it. At the time I administered the Nortel Option 11 telephone switch over the network and it turned out that the switch was pumping packets all day and night - the line went up - the other end couldnt resolve the call so the line went down as soon as it went down it went up again if you not what I mean. So this line was up and down every 4 seconds or so at something like 12p ago on a 128k line.

Needless to say we didnt administr the switch over the network again.

ONETEL £6.99 for 3 months unlimited

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom